DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Modified Gimbal Bubble (Updated Concept)

Sgt. ThroatPunch

Reactions
Here is a rough concept of a gimbal bubble that has been modified to allow clear video while still adding impact protection for the gimbal. I would also add a thin layer of black Plasti-Dip to the outside, to give it a little more impact resistance while also blocking out any possible lens flare from the sides, much like a sun shade. I am looking for more ideas or criticisms so that I can make it better. Note: I do not yet have my Mavic, so this is all just theory at this point. I would also make the locking clasp more substantial so that it would not be as loose.

WSSNRvT.jpg

Reactions: Arpi Pap
Here is a rough concept of a gimbal bubble that has been modified to allow clear video while still adding impact protection for the gimbal. I would also add a thin layer of black Plasti-Dip to the outside, to give it a little more impact resistance while also blocking out any possible lens flare from the sides, much like a sun shade. I am looking for more ideas or criticisms so that I can make it better. Note: I do not yet have my Mavic, so this is all just theory at this point. I would also make the locking clasp more substantial so that it would not be as loose.

WSSNRvT.jpg
Couple of points......
  • This would probably cause an increase loading factor on the gimbal due to the bubble 'scooping' the wind into the bubble and then causing a swirling/vortex around the gimbal
  • You would probably need to remove more material above the camera since the vertical movement effectively tilts the camera upwards during forward flight (the nose dips)

Reactions: Phogan1971
Couple of points......
  • This would probably cause an increase loading factor on the gimbal due to the bubble 'scooping' the wind into the bubble and then causing a swirling/vortex around the gimbal
  • You would probably need to remove more material above the camera since the vertical movement effectively tilts the camera upwards during forward flight (the nose dips)
Do you think this swirling vortex would be that much greater than wind blowing directly on the gimbal? It seems like it would it be less, given that it blocks wind from various directions, or slows it down due to drag inside the bubble. And yes, the exact cut would require some testing of what the camera can see at the extremes, like full blast in sport mode etc. And thank you for the excellent observations!

I'd sure try it myself. I've been wanting a way to add a "hood" to my P3P without loading the gimbal. The Mavic looks primed for this idea...

you could simply drill some holes in the side to allow wind to escape..

Couple of points......

Agreed, it's likely to cause increased drag.

There is no "back" to the bubble. It is wide open, so the wind would be forced in the vents at the front of the Mavic, right?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser