DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Monitor Sunshades

Hi all, Just found this page. Has anyone tried to make their own sunshade? I like to make my own stuff. I have fabricated all my own sunshades for different needs. I have seen what is out there and think most are a waste of money & time. And the good ones, Well let's say it's more than I am willing to pay! My sun shades are strong lightweight and durable waterproof and can fit on or all my Screen mounts. And the best part, it cost around $2.70 to make! Here a few photos. Take a look at what I use. Anyone can do this for sure. All you need is a little hot glue and a razor blade. and one-floor mat 2 velcro straps. They all work great! So let me know what you think! In the end, no matter how good the shade hoods are, To me Nothing beats flying out of your car. No sun, no glare, no heat, no sunglasses, no hat, no bugs no disruption. For sure my favorite way to fly day or night. with a larger 10.5-inch screen mounted on the dash and my little black box on. I would think with this new pro with the better camera one would you would need the screen even more than ever to get the best video and photo it can offer. Happy & Safe flying to All.

Attachments

• file2.jpg
    file2.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 57
  • file3s.jpg
    file3s.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 63
  • file1s.jpg
    file1s.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 61
  • file-3ss.jpg
    file-3ss.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Fplvert
Hi all, Just found this page. Has anyone tried to make their own sunshade? I like to make my own stuff. I have fabricated all my own sunshades for different needs. I have seen what is out there and think most are a waste of money & time. And the good ones, Well let's say it's more than I am willing to pay! My sun shades are strong lightweight and durable waterproof and can fit on or all my Screen mounts. And the best part, it cost around $2.70 to make! Here a few photos. Take a look at what I use. Anyone can do this for sure. All you need is a little hot glue and a razor blade. and one-floor mat 2 velcro straps. They all work great! So let me know what you think! In the end, no matter how good the shade hoods are, To me Nothing beats flying out of your car. No sun, no glare, no heat, no sunglasses, no hat, no bugs no disruption. For sure my favorite way to fly day or night. with a larger 10.5-inch screen mounted on the dash and my little black box on. I would think with this new pro with the better camera one would you would need the screen even more than ever to get the best video and photo it can offer. Happy & Safe flying to All.

Looks neat and professional. You did a good job. I prefer my goggles but you’ve definitely got me beat on the cost...lol

I have the goggles too, try to fly just a few batteries with the goggles. And tell me how your neck feels? Nothing like it and I do love the feel but use it only10% of the time. One day DJI will make a pair smaller.there is nowhere else they can go but to go smaller. as small as Fatsharks. wireless and much smaller. That will be the next pair I buy. Before DJI come out with theirs, I have been making my own.2.4-5.8 goggles for years for my many other RC stuff. I am able to mount the cam on anything. I am also into large-scale speed boats with chainsaw hot motors and anything that can stay in the air. I, ll post a photo of one of the goggles I had made.also made with the same stuff that I made the sunshade hood with. love working with that stuff. BEND ME SHAPE ME ANYWAY YOU WANT ME. AS LONG AS YOU LOVE ME IT'S ALL RIGHT. Anyone remember that tune? I think that was right after GROOVY. And the last photo is the camera that works with the goggles. I just enjoy making stuff. whatever it is! Sorry I veered off from sunshade to goggles still new at it.

Safe & Happy Flying Everyone :rolleyes:

Attachments

• file-6.jpeg
    file-6.jpeg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 45
  • file-5.jpeg
    file-5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • file3-1.jpeg
    file3-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • file-7.jpeg
    file-7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yes... My goggles are heavy.. I just see SO much more.. And like yourself, I'm leaning towards a little diy with these goggles. . Maybe a strap or a counter weight of some kind. .. But really, it's not so bad (for me) that I have to take them off at anytime while I'm flying because they "ache." The pros far out weigh(scuse the pun) the con...

i dig the ingenuity. you might try a yoga mat for some thinner material. dirt cheap too.

Thanks for the suggestion. But no support with that thinner material. Maybe good for putting a bit of color to the top of the foam for a hard drone case. And in time it will peel off the foam it was glued to. I use thicker then craft felt in all my cases. It's soft and it protect and lines all my stuff. Once I tried using the thin yoga roll mat. Sorry to say it was a waste of time, it peeled off with a few weeks of using the case. I have been using lately the shop floor mats at HF. They are a little better to work with because it's a bit softer. it does not have that shine that the gym tiles have. 4 or 5 mats at HF for $6.99.You can make 5 to 8 full hoods for your tablets of any size. And I have. I guess I am cheap on some things. But keep them coming. I love new ideas. That is why I am here to gain info on things I yet have not learned. Are you with mavmount?

Are you with mavmount?
yep... designer here. i also slave away every day packing orders... about to pack ALOT from the weekend. :)

(lord help me)

[Q
UOTE="Aerial West, post: 538790, member: 4093"]yep... designer here. I also slave away every day packing orders... about to pack ALOT from the weekend. :)

(lord help me)[/QUOTE]

(lord help me) you say! I am not a religious man, But I think He is, you could be packing burgers. Well, I just ordered another Mavmount for my Mavic 2 pro in black. I cut out carefully the space needed with the one I had, so I can use it on the new controller as well as my other setups. Got it to fit the new 2 pro controller like it should and it works great. But need another still have a few Mavic Pro and will never get reed of them. Sure hope it gets here REAL soon! Unlike MY FLY-MORE PACKAGE ORDER. I'll use it in the Fall. Flying from my car when it's hot like this. With the air on.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Aerial West
My Tab A is very visible on a bright day although it helps to wear a dark shirt. An obvious step that is sometimes forgotten is to turn the display brightness all the way up.

Last edited:
I have the goggles too, try to fly just a few batteries with the goggles. And tell me how your neck feels? Nothing like it and I do love the feel but use it only10% of the time. One day DJI will make a pair smaller.there is nowhere else they can go but to go smaller. as small as Fatsharks. wireless and much smaller. That will be the next pair I buy. Before DJI come out with theirs, I have been making my own.2.4-5.8 goggles for years for my many other RC stuff. I am able to mount the cam on anything. I am also into large-scale speed boats with chainsaw hot motors and anything that can stay in the air. I, ll post a photo of one of the goggles I had made.also made with the same stuff that I made the sunshade hood with. love working with that stuff. BEND ME SHAPE ME ANYWAY YOU WANT ME. AS LONG AS YOU LOVE ME IT'S ALL RIGHT. Anyone remember that tune? I think that was right after GROOVY. And the last photo is the camera that works with the goggles. I just enjoy making stuff. whatever it is! Sorry I veered off from sunshade to goggles still new at it.

Safe & Happy Flying Everyone :rolleyes:

I love the fan you mounted....does it vent the inside air out? Also...it seems as if the rubber blocks the airflow, I say that because of the indentation from the fan on the bottom of the rubber cover.

4CED29E2-1677-4DB2-A536-33B9762ECE74.jpeg 70E0B193-06F3-4BE0-A8C4-1FCA4117CD30.jpeg 85FE9894-A55B-4EF2-AF5C-A8B817FF19C5.jpeg 4CED29E2-1677-4DB2-A536-33B9762ECE74.jpeg https://www.hoodivision.com/products-new
Works great with my gunmetal grey Mavmount! BTW padhats not floppy like they used to be.:cool:

Hi drone guy, Thanks, The airflow goes in between the center of both lens and out on the sides. I had it the other way at first but it still fogged up. That flap was put on to stop any light from coming in and believe me. there is more than enough air to stop any fog. In fact, if left it on, I can feel it drying my eyes out. I only turn it on when I need it. AMPED FAN! I do hear the fan but it works great for a DIY FPV goggles. They were so cheap to make and I could wear them until the battery ran dead. Wish I could do that with DJI goggles. Took some time off today to test the DGI goggles after the update. They were great and I am just happy to get the white ones to work with the new m2p. But again I got a full battery on at Noon and when back to flying for my car for a few hours more. DGI Goggles and 97 degrees don't work well for me.:confused: NOW I WISH I BROUGHT MY SUN SHADE!!! But still, Something is better than nothing. I just wish someone else was holding them and fanning me while I was using them. I think is more of a balance issue than a weight. I guess I could have tried to find a much smaller fan but it was around the house. I try to work with what I have around first. I've always had tons of fun making a new stuff. Because in the end,( I ) think, It's what one has done in one's life not what one has bought that one remembers. But that's just me.
Happy Flying Guy ;)

View attachment 45282 View attachment 45283 View attachment 45284 View attachment 45282 https://www.hoodivision.com/products-new
Works great with my gunmetal grey Mavmount! BTW pad has not floppy like they used to be.:cool:
Just ordered the same color mount looks great with the Mavic 2 new color. I still have a few hoods like those you are showing. I find the best way for me to use those is to have the sun mostly in front of you. if the sun is too high or behind you, Forget about it!. But always, Something is better than nothing.

My Tab A is very visible on a bright day although it helps to wear a dark shirt. An obvious step that is sometimes forgotten it to turn the display brightness all the way up.

What are using as a screen that you can see on a bright day.What kind of screen? Let me get this on a bright sunny hot day it helps to wear a dark shirt. Just kidding ,I get your meaning .you don’t want any more reflection from yourself understood. You’re not running a DJI screen are you?

yep... designer here. i also slave away every day packing orders... about to pack ALOT from the weekend. :)

(lord help me)

Do you design for Mavmount? If you do please let me know. Love your mounts but I would like to make a ( little ) suggestion to make it even better I think. I had a hard time tightening and loosening the adjustment knob for the ball joint. The black rubber piece kept on spinning around really tough to get a good hold of it to tighten with a larger screen. So I took the ball joint off from the Mavmount and replaced it with another ball joint with T knobs upper and side instead of the round ones. Just a thought.

Attachments

• file-10.jpeg
    file-10.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi drone guy, Thanks, The airflow goes in between the center of both lens and out on the sides. I had it the other way at first but it still fogged up. That flap was put on to stop any light from coming in and believe me. there is more than enough air to stop any fog. In fact, if left it on, I can feel it drying my eyes out. I only turn it on when I need it. AMPED FAN! I do hear the fan but it works great for a DIY FPV goggles. They were so cheap to make and I could wear them until the battery ran dead. Wish I could do that with DJI goggles. Took some time off today to test the DGI goggles after the update. They were great and I am just happy to get the white ones to work with the new m2p. But again I got a full battery on at Noon and when back to flying for my car for a few hours more. DGI Goggles and 97 degrees don't work well for me.:confused: NOW I WISH I BROUGHT MY SUN SHADE!!! But still, Something is better than nothing. I just wish someone else was holding them and fanning me while I was using them. I think is more of a balance issue than a weight. I guess I could have tried to find a much smaller fan but it was around the house. I try to work with what I have around first. I've always had tons of fun making a new stuff. Because in the end,( I ) think, It's what one has done in one's life not what one has bought that one remembers. But that's just me.
Happy Flying Guy ;)

Ahhh....that's great! I use Homido V2 goggles and tonight they were fogging up like crazy! I wish I could make like what you have but, while I love to tinker and make things, I think that might be a bit much for me to tackle....sure would like a nice fan on them though. There's just no room for a fan.

Do you fly your Mavic with it? As always something is better than nothing. And it must be super lite on your head too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54