DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More lightweight batteries for Mavic Air 2?

AnGo

Reactions
From what I understood from the new EU Drone regulations, from 2021 on there is a new weight limit in EU of 500g in the Limited Open category for currently existing Drones to match the A1 rules. If heavier, there is more stuff to consider in order to fly it legally. Therefore I wonder if DJI might release a more lightweight edition of batteries for the MA2 to save the 70g which it is currently above this limit. Does anyone have some insights if such a technical option could exist for next year? A 499g MA2 could make some things easier here.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything but interested to find out myself. Maybe they would be able to switch over to lithium polymer like in the Mini 2 to save weight? But I'm not sure if the chemistry and voltage differential would be a problem. Or what they did for Japan by using smaller cells? I just weighed my MA2 with and without the battery and there's enough wiggle room to do maybe a 3 cell instead of 4 cell set( assuming they're something along the lines of 18560 batteries stacked up in 2 pairs) the only problem being if they're put together in series or parallel. Less flight time for sure but may bring you in under the limit.

Are you sure? The dji site says just the opposite
If you look at the owner's manuals, the battery types are both listed as LiPo. The MA2 is 3S and the Mini 2 is 2S.

Edit: The original Mavic Mini is listed as Li-ion 2S.

Last edited:
If you look at the owner's manuals, the battery types are both listed as LiPo. The MA2 is 3S and the Mini 2 is 2S.

Edit: The original Mavic Mini is listed as Li-ion 2S.
Sorry, I was at the dog park at the time without access to my drones so I could only go by what the Amazon and DJI websites said. Having gotten home I see that you're right about both being LiPo. I would think it might still be possible though to make a lighter battery pack to meet the new weight requirements he is concerned about. Such as using 17340 cells instead of 18650s or something along those lines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llMUTTZZll