DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Master Airscrew Quality issues

evereddie

Reactions
Looking for some feedbacks from the experts. I purchased 2 sets of Master Airscrew Props over the holiday based on recommendations on this site and others. Unfortunately it hasn't been pleasant, I was one who was caught in "Flashgate", or better put, severe mold flashing on the edges of the blades. I contacted Master Airscrew customer support about it. They took my name and order number and were sending out replacements that day. That was two weeks ago and they are not answering inquiries. So rather than wait, I gently removed the flashing myself and was in the process of balancing the blades. My latest problem is in the attached photo. A Couple of the props were assembled offset of center. I noticed I was having trouble balancing them, Upon closer inspection I noticed that one blade is dead on center, the opposing blade is offset to one side slightly. I don't want to take off and excess of material to balance this blade and if I do, I'm concerned the offset, regardless of how small may cause a problem at high rotation speeds. Any feedback on this or options if they can be used or just trash them at this point and go back to stock DJI Blades.
My first reach out for assistance here. Your feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2904s.jpg
    IMG_2904s.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 116
@evereddie hi fellow flyer ,its very sad that you have been caught up in the Master Airscrew prop fiasco ,and somewhat disturbing ,that a company that has been producing such great products for many years,has seemingly gone all to pot .
personally i would not even try to rework the props you have ,and try to use them on your drone
along with the batteries they are the most critical component for keeping the drone air born and any failure would be catastrophic not only in terms of your drone being damaged but whatever or whoever was underneath the drone as it fell ,i hope that with time MA will rectify your issue ,but untill then please dont use them

@evereddi,

First off, good catch on that offset. I agree with old man, of course. Sounds like MAS is becoming a victim of their own success, trying to get more product out the door and letting QC suffer in the process.

I'm kind'a taken aback that they can't or don't bother to dynamically balance each prop as part of post production QC.

Reactions: Squidinc
To provide a photograhic comparison you would need to take the shot from directly over the bore of the spindle hole, so that the spindle hole looks perfectly circular but probably tapered.
The posted photo has parallex error.
Someone did, a fair while ago, post a photo of a jig that they had made for aligning Mavic props prior to balancing.
From memory it amounted to three nails driven into a piece of wood along a common centre line. The outer two nails were equidistance from the centre and of the same diameter as each other, the centre nail's diameter was such that it was a sliding fit in the spindle bore.
I would guess that guide holes for the nails were probably drilled, on a drill stand for accuarcy.
When attempting the detailed comparison that you are I suspect that alignment could be critical.
Also bear in mind that you are comparing the positions of the outer edges of a blade with the outer edges of the 'bracket', if either is 'out' who is to say which is true.

I am not arguing about the possible problem, I am just highlighting the need for accuracy in your setting up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for some feedbacks from the experts. I purchased 2 sets of Master Airscrew Props over the holiday based on recommendations on this site and others. Unfortunately it hasn't been pleasant, I was one who was caught in "Flashgate", or better put, severe mold flashing on the edges of the blades. I contacted Master Airscrew customer support about it. They took my name and order number and were sending out replacements that day. That was two weeks ago and they are not answering inquiries. So rather than wait, I gently removed the flashing myself and was in the process of balancing the blades. My latest problem is in the attached photo. A Couple of the props were assembled offset of center. I noticed I was having trouble balancing them, Upon closer inspection I noticed that one blade is dead on center, the opposing blade is offset to one side slightly. I don't want to take off and excess of material to balance this blade and if I do, I'm concerned the offset, regardless of how small may cause a problem at high rotation speeds. Any feedback on this or options if they can be used or just trash them at this point and go back to stock DJI Blades.
My first reach out for assistance here. Your feedback is appreciated.
I’ve messed around trying MA props for over a year. From my experience, there is no net advantage using them. I find they produce more vibration on my MPP. I then see posts praising various aspects of flight and sound. So I go back and try them again. Maybe I missed something. But no big change. I just don’t see it. I realize I’m in the minority on this, but that’s my feedback.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My instincts said trash them my wallet said check first. This was my first attempt to use these, unfortunately it’s my last. Based on a great deal of feedback on this site they were a good company and product at one time. I supposed the COVID effect hit them and they cut staff and sourced overseas to boost their profits. Shame for them, bad timing for me.
thanks again for all your input.

Back in the day Graupner props were the best and you needed to balance them yourself. I ordered a set from Masterscrew, and got tracking on 1/03/21. The PO is still showing label created waiting for the item. Sounds like I’ll have to wait for a long time to see how bad or good they will be. One thing I do know is they have not responded to my emails . Live and learn!

Back in the day Graupner props were the best and you needed to balance them yourself. I ordered a set from Masterscrew, and got tracking on 1/03/21. The PO is still showing label created waiting for the item. Sounds like I’ll have to wait for a long time to see how bad or good they will be. One thing I do know is they have not responded to my emails . Live and learn!
Maybe they're aware of the problem(s) and delaying shipments while addressing.

I must have got lucky and got a great set. Everyone must consider that the company is located in California so the Covid lock down is still in full swing.
No excuse for sending you low quality product but I am sure they are short handed.

Maybe they're aware of the problem(s) and delaying shipments while addressing.
Maybe so, but if they were trying to improve quality, which I'm sure they've seen some of these posts, I'd be letting folks know they were working to improve their quality. They've also not responded to emails. My order had the shipping label created on 01/13/21, but the last check shows the PO is still waiting for it to arrive at that facility. Borderline faking it . . . While I have no issues with DJI props, I just wanted to give them a try.

———————————————————————-
Got a question for everyone who got these?
———————————————————————-
What colour where your props?
- Indicate if you had flashing issues or not.
- Indicate if you had balancing issues or not.
———————————————————————

Me; 2 sets of orange, both with flashing & balancing issues.

I wonder if the colour of plastic is particularly a problem or if all colours can have potential issues.

I wrote to MAS 3 days ago and haven’t heard back yet. I’ll give them till the end of the week. I’ll escalate if I don’t hear by then.

@evereddie hi fellow flyer ,its very sad that you have been caught up in the Master Airscrew prop fiasco ,and somewhat disturbing ,that a company that has been producing such great products for many years,has seemingly gone all to pot .
personally i would not even try to rework the props you have ,and try to use them on your drone
along with the batteries they are the most critical component for keeping the drone air born and any failure would be catastrophic not only in terms of your drone being damaged but whatever or whoever was underneath the drone as it fell ,i hope that with time MA will rectify your issue ,but untill then please dont use them
Exactly great advice ...I bought a orange pair and it caused my drone to blink yellow when flying. When I took them off my pro worked fine again. The customer service sucks

I reached to them and expressed my disappointment over there ma2 props.. Still nota word from them but they keep sending me surveys which tell them again how disappointed I am. The quality of the props is bad. I want refund.

Check your spam box I thought they were ignoring me also but they replied the next it was in my spam folder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580