DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Mavic Mini Uncommanded Descents

This is my first post here and wanted to begin by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences and analyses.

I have generally had very good experiences with my Mavic Mini but have also experienced several uncommanded descents of my Mavic Mini. I thought I'd share my experiences and see if anyone was willing to take a peak at my log(s) to see if it looks like the same issue that others are reporting.

Here are links to the flights that experienced uncommanded descents:
  • March 14, 11:36 am
    • Uncommanded descent into my driveway.
  • March 14, 11:33 AM
    • Uncommanded descent into my driveway.
  • March 14, 11:13 am
    • Got IMU warning in DJI Fly app, then it descended uncontrollably, and crashed into my deck railing.
    • I did a full IMU calibration and compass calibration before the next flight.
  • March 4, 1:12 pm
    • Uncommanded descents into asphalt while flying low (~6' AGL)
Note that I have about 2 dozen successful flights without any issues even though I live at 6800' elevation. These problems seem to be unpredictable--e.g., on March 4, I flew the Mini later that afternoon in the same conditions and didn't have any issues.

After experiencing these problems, I contacted DJI support and they asked me to send the Mini in for inspection/repair. Over the course of two weeks, they inspected the .txt logs from my phone and concluded that I was flying with the propeller guards at high altitude, which is not allowed per the manual, and therefore, the drone was not covered under warranty. However, I did NOT have propeller guards mounted on the drone. Unfortunately, I didn't have a second camera available to video the drone falling from the sky, because then they couldn't claim that the logs were indisputably correct. I argued with them to no end and asked them to send it back to me because it is still functional when it doesn't decide to randomly fall from the sky. Obviously, it was very disappointing to spend $500 on a drone that falls from the sky unexpectedly and without warning.

Any assistance in examining my logs is much appreciated.

All the best,
Pat in Boulder, CO

My mavicmini did the same thing, only about 7meters up according to the log, then just fell straight down on the driveway, nailed the landing on all 4's with no damage except to the power button and gimbal motor separating from the camera, but no scratches or physical damage to anything else.

DBL-J in Abarr, CO

As my Mavic Mini increasingly has problems with keeping altitude when flying at full speed I want to ask you to do a little test with yours to check if this problem is affecting all Mavic Minis more or less:

1. Go to a flat location with at least 200m free space in one direction.
2. Take off in P mode and go to a preferred altitude, keep the altitude as shown within the Fly app in mind. Don't touch the throttle stick anymore from now on.
3. Fly straight away approx. 200m with full speed, then slow down for hovering.
4. Read the altitude there, then wait about 10s and check for uncommanded altitude loss.
5. Turn 180° and fly back to your home point with full speed.
6. When back, check the altitude as displayed by the Fly app. Is it still the same as was at the beginning, or how far is it off?
7. Switch to Sports mode and repeat from step 2.

Please let me know your results.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7