DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More questions - does my iPhone need a SIM card to be used as a controller?

MikeO

Reactions
Hi there,

Still haven't managed to get airborne - every time I am free it has been hosing down with rain... :rolleyes:

So - I use an iPhone 7+ as my everyday phone. To use it with the controller I have to remove the case, which I'm not too keen on.

I do have an old but serviceable iPhone 5S. Could I use this without a SIM card with the controller? If so it would make life simpler, as I could just keep the 5S with the drone and use it exclusively for controlling.

Sorry if this is a dullard question - put it down to my having had time to do all the preparatory work, but not turned a rotor yet. Kind of like cabin-fever... :D

Thanks,

Mike Thumbswayup

Hi there,

Still haven't managed to get airborne - every time I am free it has been hosing down with rain... :rolleyes:

So - I use an iPhone 7+ as my everyday phone. To use it with the controller I have to remove the case, which I'm not too keen on.

I do have an old but serviceable iPhone 5S. Could I use this without a SIM card with the controller? If so it would make life simpler, as I could just keep the 5S with the drone and use it exclusively for controlling.

Sorry if this is a dullard question - put it down to my having had time to do all the preparatory work, but not turned a rotor yet. Kind of like cabin-fever... :D

Thanks,

Mike Thumbswayup

No it doess not. I don't know if it would run on the 5s but I use a phone without a SIM for the controller and if I need internet I just hotspot from my phone.

Reactions: MikeO
Hi there,

Thanks,

Mike Thumbswayup

iPhone 5S is still an approved device for DJI Go 4. It has the same A7 processor as the iPad Minis 2 & 3, and FWIW, the screen brightness is higher (502) than all 4 iPad Mini's. It would be important to assure that no other processes are running while using Go4. I'd make sure that Airplane mode was turned on, BlueTooth off, and battery fully charged. (Those older batteries might not have the longevity as your 7.)

iPhone 5S is still an approved device for DJI Go 4. It has the same A7 processor as the iPad Minis 2 & 3, and FWIW, the screen brightness is higher (502) than all 4 iPad Mini's. It would be important to assure that no other processes are running while using Go4. I'd make sure that Airplane mode was turned on, BlueTooth off, and battery fully charged. (Those older batteries might not have the longevity as your 7.)

So.. are you saying that the Mini 2 & 3 will run it? I was thinking of getting a 4 because I thought that it wouldn't run on the 2 or 3.

Thanks - I think I'll probably delete every app from it except what's needed for the drone - it can then live in the drone's case and it will be its sole use.Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS