DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Morning Mist on the Tanana River, Alaska

Very nice, hard to believe there is that much ice along the river in late November.
Is the video current, date wise?
Yes. Took that just yesterday...Nov 25 with some footage from Nov 23 (2023)

Linda looked over my shoulder while I was watching this and summed up my thoughts by saying, "Oh, wow! That's beautiful!"
Thanks (and tell Linda, "thanks")

Absolutely beautiful! The sun is low in the sky, so by morning time-wise, 9 - 10 am?
I worked for a company (no defunct) that put in computer labs for schools. The students would do some book learning and then use the computer for another part. After Thanksgiving '92, I was flown to Toksook Bay, AK (West Coast, Bering Sea) to install a lab. -40° when I was there. The sun didn't come up till about 9-10 am and set by 2-3 pm. It took some getting used to for me, being from the lower 48, the sun doesn't do that here. 😀

Absolutely beautiful! The sun is low in the sky, so by morning time-wise, 9 - 10 am?
I worked for a company (no defunct) that put in computer labs for schools. The students would do some book learning and then use the computer for another part. After Thanksgiving '92, I was flown to Toksook Bay, AK (West Coast, Bering Sea) to install a lab. -40° when I was there. The sun didn't come up till about 9-10 am and set by 2-3 pm. It took some getting used to for me, being from the lower 48, the sun doesn't do that here. 😀
the opening image was at 10:15. The brightest shots were around noon. Yeah...flying drones, like everything in Alaska is dramatically affected by our short and long days. A "full" day of flying is only about 4hours of decent light at this point. In the spring I can make do a 24hr drive around the Denali Highway and film along the entire route, sleeping for 20min here and there in the car. really quite wonderful.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Is winter weather in Alaska often accompanied by high winds?
Not locally in the Fairbanks area to any great degree. All along the northern and western coast, yes. Our worst winter weather problem is warm weather. On rare occasions it can warm up to over or close to freezing. When that is accompanied by rain (common) then it will shortly thereafter freeze on the ground leaving, sometimes, an inch of hard ice on the road that causes hella problems. Additionally wolves are able to run after moose and caribou and the moose, as they break through the ice, then tear up their legs walking around. Or conversely it's not quite enough ice and the wolves have a serious problem breaking through the ice into the softer snow which is it's own problem. It's just a tragedy all around. When winter is winter all is good but warm spells bring hell.

Reactions: Dbez1
Thanks for the info akdrone and, in light of that post, I hope you have an appropriate winter for your area. I also hope you continue to get some good flying time as I enjoy your videos.

Thanks for the info akdrone and, in light of that post, I hope you have an appropriate winter for your area. I also hope you continue to get some good flying time as I enjoy your videos.
thanks - much appreciated

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
In the 1970s I was stationed at the Arctic test center in Fort Greeley. Your video brought back a lot of warm memories of being desperately cold.

As we were charged with testing army equipment under extreme cold, the summer months were not very busy. That's why I remember the Tanana River. We had to wade across that to get to where we wanted to hunt.

Thank you so much for that video and the enticing music and even at 79.873 years old, I still feel the pull of the north.

In the 1970s I was stationed at the Arctic test center in Fort Greeley. Your video brought back a lot of warm memories of being desperately cold.

As we were charged with testing army equipment under extreme cold, the summer months were not very busy. That's why I remember the Tanana River. We had to wade across that to get to where we wanted to hunt.

Thank you so much for that video and the enticing music and even at 79.873 years old, I still feel the pull of the north.
Did you know Col (I think) Tom York? Tall skinny guy.... He was there for quite a bit but I don't know if he was there that early or not. He was an engineer. His son is my son in law...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67