DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor covers ... good

cameraz

Reactions
I know there have been discussions on the pros and cons of using motor covers, but here is an instance where it paid off to have them.

I had motor covers on my Mini when it crashed into a tree last week. When I found the drone yesterday, Not only were two props missing, but also the screws that held them. I had used some Locktite thread locker on the screws when I installed them, so I was surprised that the impact was able to pull them out.

Meanwhile, when I went to put new blades on my Mini today, the screw holes on my motor covers were stripped. I tried to attach the new blades, but their screws kept turning and turning. If I didn't have the covers on, I possibly could have stripped the holes on the motor itself, which likely would have required replacement of the motor.

It's something to consider. It's a lot cheaper to replace the cover than the motor itself.

Given how tiny the screw threads are it is something I have thought about.
HOWEVER, and correct me if I am wrong but these covers are aluminium whereas the motor rotors are what? Is it possible that the threads failed either because of the material of the female and or the depth of the thread, as in the number of female pitches?
With the as supplied set up I have snapped a blade clean off at the hub and the hub remained in situ and its screw was as tight as normal.
I am not arguing, merely playing Devil's Advocate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Given how tiny the screw threads are it is something I have thought about.
HOWEVER, and correct me if I am wrong but these covers are aluminium whereas the motor rotors are what? Is it possible that the threads failed either because of the material of the female and or the depth of the thread, as in the number of female pitches?
With the as supplied set up I have snapped a blade clean off at the hub and the hub remained in situ and its screw was as tight as normal.
I am not arguing, mearely playing Devil's Advocate.
You're probably right. When I took a look at the covers again, they are indeed aluminum, whereas the motor rotors look like steel or some other strong material. I guess DJI knows what its doing.

Don't get me wrong, for fear of damaging the threads in the motor rotors I gave serious thought to using covers but in the end I didn't as I also had concerns them blocking air flow etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, for fear of damaging the threads in the motor rotors I gave serious thought to using covers but in the end I didn't as I also had concerns them blocking air flow etc.
I agree. Decided not to add them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk