DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor resistance

Oktim

Reactions
Hello and sorry for this question but I need to be sure if it's fine or not. I've read alot of similar threads but couldn't decide what to do.

I've bought my drone (mini 2) 3 days ago and flown with it no more than 40 min.

After every flight I inspect it and today I noticed that the front right motor has little resistance when I spin it by hand.
The other 3 move smoothly without any resistance.
I have never crashed it or flown it in rain or something! I get no errors and when I stop the drone the motors stop equally.
But when I turn on the drone and the self test begins the motor with the resistance does not move like the others.

Should I return it to my dealer? Should I be worried ?

I have noticed a difference in resistance, too, between the motors (on my new Mini 3 Pro). One has very little resistance, while two more pronounced bumping sound/feel, as you rotate. I suppose this is just within manufacturing tolerances for the bearings? Would this not increase noise and reduce efficiency though? I have landed once in grass, which stopped the motors. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!

Last edited:
Must-have accessories for the mini3...unfortunately I'm yet to find any retailer shipping them with spare props.
If you're worried about it catch it in the air.
The easiest drone I've come across for hand catching...Using your hand sneak up on (while hovering about shoulder height) it from the rear as if to grab the battery compartment with the hand and slide it (hand) forward
0230_app03_41.jpg

Last edited:
I have noticed a difference in resistance, too, between the motors (on my new Mini 3 Pro). One has very little resistance, while two more pronounced bumping sound/feel, as you rotate. I suppose this is just within manufacturing tolerances for the bearings? Would this not increase noise and reduce efficiency though? I have landed once in grass, which stopped the motors. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!
As SpinItUp said, it is completely normal!
I was worried about it too and no issues up to this day.
The resistance of the motors on my drone is still there but doesn't affect my flights at all.

About the landing in the grass you shouldn't worry about it too. The only thing I would worry about is grass falling into the motors. I would check all the motors if any grass fall into the motors.

Also I always takeoff and land on my hand but will consider buying a landing pad which will be a good accessory.

The "bumping" you feel is nothing to do with the bearings, it is the stator windings (poles) going past the rotor magnets, usually 12 in these small motors.
There should be this "bumping" feel but not stiffness. Get a strong vacuum cleaner and suck the motor while gently turning it.

Bit of a late reply but anyways, To be perfectly Honest I don't have any clue but I also have the mini 3 pro and one motor is noticeably less notchy feeling (specifically the front left arm or the one with the MINI 3 Pro writing) the others feel more notchy but they still feel slightly different but not as much as the non notchy one, I've full sent the drone for 20mins in sport mode a couple times and the motors sound roughly the same (just moving closer to each one nothing to scientific) I believe and the temps are roughly the same (by touch) I do notice that the drone sometimes fly's forward maybe and inch or 2 on takeoff auto and manual, maybe the motor or uneven ground but once it's up it doesn't drift or anything, so in conclusion if your motors feel the same temperature and sound roughly the same when in flight I personally wouldn't pay to much attention to it but if your really worried about it you can take it to DJI or ask and see what they say.

Also I always takeoff and land on my hand but will consider buying a landing pad which will be a good accessory.
Until you get a landing pad, get yourself a large piece of cardboard (large appliance boxes are best, check local appliance stores, they usually unbox the appliance before delivery and go inside and just ask).

Hand catching is a soft skill, like whistling; not a "hunter/killer" skill. You do not want to snatch it out of the sky. Some do and then they flip it over so the IMU senses the condition and shuts the motors down; and they will be the ones to write in saying, "Why is my gimbal acting all wookety and I cannot calibrate it…"

Here are a couple of videos on hand launching and hand catching. You mention the mini 2 and the Mini 3 and the two videos address the differ controllers.

I always practice these at least one a week because I'm using my "weak Hand" to hold the controller and at the same time pressing and holding buttons.

You never know when someone's loose dog will show an unnatural interest in your drone and the drone is on its last 5% of battery power and it's about to go into a forced landing…

I will add this last piece of advice (it may be in the videos too), when launching/landing, do it with your back to the wind, if a wind gust comes up quickly, it will keep the drone from "kissing" your face…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21