DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP4 files that cannot be opened

ToddCarey

FAA Part 107 Certified
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Yesterday I used my M2Z to make a video of a building roof we are going to do some work on. When I got back, Both the MP4 file in the AC, and the downloaded video from the RC will not open. I get a message "unsupported video or codec". I did not change any setting before the flight, and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks, VLC is my player of choice. It just starts to open, and then quits. No messages. I have used several other players I have, and they are the ones who give me the message. I will go into the settings for my video, and see if something looks strange the next time I fly.

Yesterday I used my M2Z to make a video of a building roof we are going to do some work on. When I got back, Both the MP4 file in the AC, and the downloaded video from the RC will not open. I get a message "unsupported video or codec". I did not change any setting before the flight, and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.
I’ve had the same exact problem. Recordings after recordings everything was fine then on one flight, first two recordings of flight were fine but the third had that error. Tried everything to open to no avail. Then same thing happened several more times. Only thing I could attribute it to was the micro card (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64). Sent it to SanDisk, just happened to have my purchase receipt, and they sent me a new one. Haven’t had the problem again - yet. Have several cards I use and only happened on the one.

Reactions: Bobvt
Thanks for your comment, that is something I did not think of. I will test it our with another card that I have, and see what happens.
Just on the off chance, did you stop the recording on your controller before you turned your M2P off? If not, the MP4 file would not have been closed and saved....has happened to me when my brain is in neutral.

Reactions: FlyBoyRez and Bobvt
Another good point, Thanks you.

No, the "bad" MP4 files were intermittent. Many times I take a video while moving around to get my individual picture I take of the equipment I am documenting. To me the frustrating part is one video session is OK, but another is not. I will try different cards, and perhaps resetting or reinstalling the GO4 program.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great.

Just on the off chance, did you stop the recording on your controller before you turned your M2P off? If not, the MP4 file would not have been closed and saved....has happened to me when my brain is in neutral.

I’ve done that a few times... there is a process to recover them though... my laptop has the information, will try to post it later.

Are you shooting in h.265 codec or h.264? Some computers/video players have trouble with h.265 files....try switching to record in h.264 if this is the case

This may have been answered already but the same thing happened to me today and it was because I didn’t hit stop recording when I turned my m2z off. The entire video is there but I can’t open it. So is it possible you turned off the drone itself before stopping recording? I have done it before with no problems but it bit me this time.

Reactions: ff22
I’ve had the same exact problem. Recordings after recordings everything was fine then on one flight, first two recordings of flight were fine but the third had that error. Tried everything to open to no avail. Then same thing happened several more times. Only thing I could attribute it to was the micro card (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64). Sent it to SanDisk, just happened to have my purchase receipt, and they sent me a new one. Haven’t had the problem again - yet. Have several cards I use and only happened on the one.

Thanks for your assist. I was told, and it worked for me, to try to read it AFTER restarting the AC. Apparently, the drone will "close out" files that were left open by not stopping the recording. I tried it with mine, and the file became readable again.

I have also learned, at least in my Android and Windows 10, when you first highlight an AVI file, if you don't get a "preview snspshot", something is wrong with the file. I would guess the header was not written, but that is only a guess as I am not a Windows expert, just an individual who notices differences.

I have had the same problem and on the off chance it would work I plugged in a card reader to my iPad pro and the “unreadable “ card downloaded just fine. I have NO idea why that worked but have done it twice now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan