DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP - Flying with phone-only via WiFi

umanbean

Reactions
Am I the only MPP owner on the planet who really likes that feature? I've searched the MPP forum and found that most owners seem to 'discount' or ignore the feature, or actually 'look down' on using it.

But when I discovered that feature while in negotiations to buy an MPP (through the classifieds here), I was just this side of ecstatic! That clenched the deal for me. I've had it for just over 6 weeks now, and use it often for backyard putzing around... after a pre-flight inspection, you can be in the air in just a minute or two. I find control is precise and can easily fly tight figure eights and manual orbits.

I get the idea many folks look at it as a glorified 'selfie mode', but I'm not at all interested in selfies... just the convenience of getting in the air asap. And I was surprised to find that it even works well while sitting inside my (metal) screened back deck. I have a ~7 acre pasture behind my house, and can easily reach the height/distance limits and still have a strong signal... what's not to like? :D

Reactions: WildDoktor
I'm interested!

I bought a mavic pro a few months ago (been an Autel XSP user for years) and have often wondered if wifi would be a good option for tracking me on my motorcycle. My main concerns are: range (I thought I read that the range is 50ft?) and that it would quickly deplete my phone battery...but I have a powered phone holder on my bike, so maybe that's not a concern?

(I thought I read that the range is 50ft?)
50 meters altitude, 80M horizontal distance - under ideal conditions... wide open areas, no local wifi interference, etc.

p48 of the owners manual is the beginning of 'Using Mobile Device to Control Aircraft' -check it out.

Some precautions there:
Max flight speed = 9mph (so you really better pay attention to wind conditions)
Max ascent = 2m/s
Max descent = 1ms
If your device supports 5ghz, use that for less interference

I'm still re-reading (memorizing) the manuals and past posts here, learning every little detail about 'normal flights' with the AC, RC, and GO4, so haven't thought about trying Intelligent Flight Modes yet, with or without the RC... but I just fired everything up via WiFi and found 'Tapfly' and 'Active Track' under the bottom icon on the left.

Good luck... and if, after practicing 'on foot', you try it with your bike - go to an open area and Go Slow! :)

Wow...9mph...that won't work on my motorcycle. :) But it could work for some close-in work around a static object.

I'm sure the limitations are the main thing to stop people using wifi.
If for some reason, one forgot their controller sometime, then it could be useful to know how to use it effectively.
Yet another thing to still learn 4 + years after getting it, ha ha.

Reactions: WildDoktor
I'm sure the limitations are the main thing to stop people using wifi.
If for some reason, one forgot their controller sometime, then it could be useful to know how to use it effectively.
Yet another thing to still learn 4 + years after getting it, ha ha.
WiFi mode is the only reason why I keep the Mavic Air. ?

WiFi mode is the only reason why I keep the Mavic Air. ?

Flying with phone only ?
Brother in law has an Air, he has always used the controller though.

He has reasonable range with the wifi connection it uses for signal, but as he's still using a controller it's not limited to any range or speed restrictions.
If he can fly wifi by phone, he hasn't tried it, and if he ever did I expect it would have the same limitations.

Flying with phone only ?
Brother in law has an Air, he has always used the controller though.

He has reasonable range with the wifi connection it uses for signal, but as he's still using a controller it's not limited to any range or speed restrictions.
If he can fly wifi by phone, he hasn't tried it, and if he ever did I expect it would have the same limitations.
Correct, drone via phone only wifi saves me having to bring the RC. I can use dji go 4 or Litchi with virtual joysticks on the screen.

It has a geofence limitation of a 30m ceiling and range of 100m. The range may be less because of phone hardware power limitations, frequency band used (2.4, 5.8ghz) and interference at times. Speed is also limited so be careful for flyaway if it's gusty. Sports mode is only available with the RC.

Instructions are on page 44 or the Mavic manual and in the GO 4 app Connection Tutorial

Screenshot_20210819-111605_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210819-115518.jpgScreenshot_20210819-115531.jpgScreenshot_20210819-115537.jpgScreenshot_20210819-115544.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-111605_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-111605_Drive.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
It might be a nice option to have, but it is severely limited and you have to flip the switch to use it.

I seem to think it doesn't respond as quickly as the RC and maybe part of the reason for it being limited. And RC without a mobile device is also limited.

Thing about the RC is that it can be charged back up while you're still flying, and the RC charges up the mobile device or tries to.

I’ve flown smaller drones with just the mobile device and hated it so much that I bought remote controllers with sticks for them. Knowing where the sticks are by feel means that you can be watching the drone rather than having to keep looking at where your fingers are on the screen.

I’ve flown smaller drones with just the mobile device and hated it so much that I bought remote controllers with sticks for them. Knowing where the sticks are by feel means that you can be watching the drone rather than having to keep looking at where your fingers are on the screen.
Sticks are more comfortable and precise.

I wouldnt recommend fly everytime with the phone only as it takes away from drone experience but in those situations where you just want to take a lighter weighting flying camera option and take a few shots or video clips, the phone only option is fantastic IMHO.

If DJI are listening. Please add this feature to new dji mini please ?

I bought a smaller drone, a Tello, a couple years ago, joined the TelloPilots forum and after 'all the talk' about how great external controllers are, I bought one - a really good one. Never did like it, and fly with phone-only since then. I like it.

I never look at where my fingers are on the screen, I look at the drone and can 'feel' it. Wherever you put your thumbs down, that's the center of travel. It's just a matter of holding the phone correctly and the same every time. With the Tello and MPP I can make some very finite movements/corrections intuitively. I can fly the Tello around my 16x24' screened porch or the MPP around my 7 acre pasture like a madman... with 'just' a phone. Figure 8's, manual orbit around a POI, bring it in on a sloped descent just like an airplane, etc etc. I bring them both back to me, turn it around, and hand catch them both.

Using the Tello w/ onscreen sticks (and now the MPP) has increased my 'spatial awareness' if you will, and my intuitive ability to control a flying machine in 3D space.

BTW, I have a like-new Gamesir T1s controller for sale... anyone?

Reactions: CallmeDash
and my intuitive ability to control a flying machine in 3D space.
That would have been better worded as:

"my ability to intuitively control a 3D flying machine in a given space." :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S