DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP Sees the Sun as Obstacle

Peter VS

Reactions
While filming a sunset, as I turned my MPP into the sun, I got an obstacle warning and the drone stopped. I was at 100 ft and no physical objects were nearby. I yawed the drone away from pointing into the sun and the warning cleared. Is this typical? If so, any remedies?

Or just not fly towards it .

Thanks. Figured as much. I really wanted to move toward the sunset to get a better vantage and more variety of shots. Oh well. I’ll just turn off obstacle avoidance and give myself a lot of room.

Try filming it in reverse, going away from the sun in reverse, and then reverse the footage in post...
as long as there are no birds or people in the shot doing something "backwards"..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy85
I really wanted to move toward the sunset to get a better vantage and more variety of shots.

Or if it's just change position, rather than wanting to film video towards the sun when flying, just turn 90 degrees and roll towards it, then when repositioned turn and take a photo.
On the MPP, you could also use course lock, which enables you to fly at an angle towards the sun, and yaw the aircraft towards the sun to keep it in frame.

Reactions: SO1879 and dirkclod
Great tips. I'm a relative new flyer having just stepped up to a real drone. I'll practice the skills and the intelligent flight programs. Got the figure eight and a circle down and am getting a lot better at smooth flying and camera gimbal control.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark