DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPro vs MAir - Occusync vs Wifi

I've just done a quick flight in the UK countryside, no obstructions between me and the Air and had clear line of site to the controller at all times, it was losing video at only 1000ft - its very disorientating, my very early advice is to not keep flying at full pelt as you lose your bearing very fast

1000ft is pretty good for a Wifi drone in CE settings.
Remember, tx power in USA and FCC is much higher.

I've just done a quick flight in the UK countryside, no obstructions between me and the Air and had clear line of site to the controller at all times, it was losing video at only 1000ft - its very disorientating, my very early advice is to not keep flying at full pelt as you lose your bearing very fast

You need those little £10 range boosters. I've had my Spark 1,100m away from me in Scotland.

having only got 1000ft earlier in the middle of nowhere just managed a much more acceptable 2000ft now from my garden, which is still semi rural

inconclusive but can't fathom how I got so little range earlier with an equally clear line of sight to the controller from the drone.

I struggled to get 10ft with my Spark outside my house earlier today. Something must have been interfering like crazy with the signal. I guess that's the problem with Wi-Fi. If it's having a bad day then it's have a BAD day.

I struggled to get 10ft with my Spark outside my house earlier today. Something must have been interfering like crazy with the signal. I guess that's the problem with Wi-Fi. If it's having a bad day then it's have a BAD day.
Yeah I guess it totally depends on interference.
I did 5 flights with my Mavic Air so far and reached between 300m and 840m as a record so far. Not many buildings around here, I mean no metropolitan area but still everybody got wifi and if somebody is watching Netflix or something around you ---> interference.

Wow, so far all these real life tests I've seen on Youtube and here are really quite poor as far as maximum distance. NO ONE has even come close to what they claim is the maximum. This wifi seems like a dud.

Reactions: Daptone

That mirrors my Spark experience. So inconsistent.

That mirrors my Spark experience. So inconsistent.

To be fair, I've only had shocking lack of capability like that twice and both times were in the last few days during short flights where I knew the drone would never be more than 50ft from me. Accordingly, I didn't unfold and attach my parabolic signal booster thingymajigs. It could be coincidence, but I think they are an absolute necessity on all flights of wi-fi based drones. I've had mine 1,100m away in the UK which is double what it's supposed to do and triple what some other people report from the Spark.

You have a link or name to the signal boosters you have Splats?

These are the ones I have. I've never tried to fly any distance without them, so I don't really have a point of reference, but the fact I regularly get 500m with ease and often up to and (sometimes) over 1,000m on CE suggests they are doing something to justify ten bucks.

Reactions: philh24
Just found this video:

I sure hope that "Maiden Flight" title is BS because taking an untested ship (even a small one) out past 1km over a populated area on a foggy, windy day is not what I'd call responsible piloting

Reactions: philh24
I sure hope that "Maiden Flight" title is BS because taking an untested ship (even a small one) out past 1km over a populated area on a foggy, windy day is not what I'd call responsible piloting
I've seen far more crazy stuff in China.

Quick flight this morning... went up to 392 ft and out to 7300'. Returned back with 47% battery after 11:02 of flight -- sticks to the max for the ascent and flight, but straight path. Looped closer to home for a total of 21537' travelled. RTH triggered at 27% battery and 3:43 flight time left. Landed at 17:09 min total flight and 18% battery left. Pretty much the 21 min of flight time if you were actually brave enough - or maybe have money to crash - to push it all the way to the limit.

The really good news is I never got below 3 bars of Wifi connection for the entire flight. (2.4ghz - auto channel) 80% of the flight was at a full 4 bars. I know that I could have pushed it further -- obviously with that strong of a signal - but will save that until after I have had some more time with the Air. (This is only day 3 of flying this). No glitches in the video transmission at all. This is my home base and I have been flying my MP and then my MPP over this same route for about a year now. On both of those, I have had instances of video jitter, lag, etc. in the same areas I flew over today.

Winds were very calm this morning on the ground, but hard to say what 400' was like. I did notice that the battery consumption really increases with any banking -- even a really gradual turn while flying will make the remaining battery levels go down pretty quick. Straight flying is as expected.

Haha, can try to do today. It was a long drive home from the event - over 3 hours away - so I had time for a quick check. Sun was low in the sky so exposures were at their worst with no filters and I didn’t take the time to fiddle w the EVO. (I do miss the second wheel already - have to adjust in the app).
Flew today, but was playing with the range. See my post for details. The large metal building is my house -- should have read metal-roofed building. It messes up the MPP every time I go behind it. Probably 50' from front to back, but it is a 2 story with a walkout basement with a lot of wifi going on. So far, the MAir has not complained about it.

The guy in this video got his to 4000 meters with no signal loss, had to turn around because of low battery level..

Love this video. This guy is an Honest YouTuber and i think it's a great video. I love reading these posts about range because i live in Philadelphia and have all the dji products including the new mavic air. My mavic pro gets tops a little under 1 mile in my city, lol and my p4p goes less then that. Lol. However for some weird reason i flew the new mavic air today and video and signal truly seemed better. I can notice a tiny bit of lag that the other two models do not have but nothing real bad. I went about a mile today and signal was true blue. Soon, when i become more comfortable with this craft and it's size (which scares me on distance flights) i will do a range test. I'm curious myself? Hey if i can go a mile and half I'll be thrilled and it truly will be my go to drone. I've already flown this more in the two days I've had this then the other two compared, because of the portability of this thing. It's truly an amazing drone Btw the video quality in imo is better then the MP. Noticably better. Colors are more vibrant with less sharpness if you will. Things are not shimmering like the Mp does. Also the new aps mode is just mind blowing. I tried everything to see if it would go around me and hot something but it always made the right choice in instance's where it couldn't go around it above it just stopped and hovered. Blew my mind. If course i had my hands on the controls to stop hey if she got in trouble. Lol. I'm already attached to this little guy. It goes everywhere with me now. For that reason alone it's my favorite. This drone has gotten be back into my camera drones. I stopped for a while and started building race Quads because of portability and crash resistance but this definitely is bringing me back to my true love of photography. Btw it also is pretty resilient and can handle a small crash. Lol. Don't even ask. Lol. But no damage in fact not even a scratch. Two broken props THAT'S IT. I've opted out of the refresh because of this small crash test. Lol. If it were my Mp the gimble would have definitely broke still love it though. This mavic air is very well protected as far as camera and gimble goes.. Thx for allowing me to share. Love this app.

Michael

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002