DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mt. Antero

Nice that you are safe and not in harms way at present.
Perhaps post on local climbing forums? So much better for someone to have your back and you have theirs.

Plus it would be fun to swap stories , exchange granola bars , learn about others experiences , etc during the journey.

I apologize for being your "nanny" its just that a recent event got me thinking about snow activities in a whole new way.

Local skier of many years 62 year old Brett Herrick had been skiing forever. Very experienced and talented. He was skiing at Heavenly Ski Resort here in Lake Tahoe and decided to split off from his girlfriend or wife to ski some deep fresh powder that was "off trail" . He had done this many times in the past.

Went missing and was found frozen to death approximately 24 Hours later in the deep snow. They used Helicopters and a Search and Rescue Dog to finally find him.

I know the gal that had to pickup the body and transport. She described some of the morbid details.
Here is a link to the story:
Body of missing Heavenly skier found

I have skied the very same trails over and over again and I love to ski powder , but always resist the temptation to ski off trail for this very reason. If I go down and hurt myself I want someone to be skiing by moments later.
Heck, I want a flare gun that I can fire up into the sky multiple times and a bullhorn, but those items are less practical to ski with. :) I would be firing the flare gun into the sky while repeating over the Bullhorn " I would like your attention please BDOG DOWN" " I repeat BDOG DOWN"

Nice that you are safe and not in harms way at present.
Perhaps post on local climbing forums? So much better for someone to have your back and you have theirs.

Plus it would be fun to swap stories , exchange granola bars , learn about others experiences , etc during the journey.

I apologize for being your "nanny" its just that a recent event got me thinking about snow activities in a whole new way.

Local skier of many years 62 year old Brett Herrick had been skiing forever. Very experienced and talented. He was skiing at Heavenly Ski Resort here in Lake Tahoe and decided to split off from his girlfriend or wife to ski some deep fresh powder that was "off trail" . He had done this many times in the past.

Went missing and was found frozen to death approximately 24 Hours later in the deep snow. They used Helicopters and a Search and Rescue Dog to finally find him.

I know the gal that had to pickup the body and transport. She described some of the morbid details.
Here is a link to the story:
Body of missing Heavenly skier found

I have skied the very same trails over and over again and I love to ski powder , but always resist the temptation to ski off trail for this very reason. If I go down and hurt myself I want someone to be skiing by moments later.
Heck, I want a flare gun that I can fire up into the sky multiple times and a bullhorn, but those items are less practical to ski with. :) I would be firing the flare gun into the sky while repeating over the Bullhorn " I would like your attention please BDOG DOWN" " I repeat BDOG DOWN"

Thanks. There’s always risk with climbing mountains, more so in winter. Finding a climbing partner that is willing to spend 10+ hours in the cold is a pretty tall order, amplified by scheduling synchronization, and being able to maintain my pretty speedy pace. That said, I don’t climb anything that is avy prone, always tell a few friends where/when I’m going, and carry a gps communicator just in case. There’s no 100% safety situation, but life without (calculated) risk isn’t living.

Reactions: BD0G
All great points! I think there are like avid climbers and like minded people that frequent those climbing forums though. Just like Mavic enthusiasts. :)

Reactions: Denver_flight
I’ve done that climb dry, can’t imagine in the winter. Most impressive, though I think you are nuts with all the slides we’ve had. I’ve got a friend who has 48 of the 14ers so far. She should wrap them up in the next couple years. Pics are impressive given how windy it had to be up there.

Find any tourmaline? [emoji14]

I’ve done that climb dry, can’t imagine in the winter. Most impressive, though I think you are nuts with all the slides we’ve had. I’ve got a friend who has 48 of the 14ers so far. She should wrap them up in the next couple years. Pics are impressive given how windy it had to be up there.

Find any tourmaline? [emoji14]

There’s really not much avalanche danger on the route. Wind was certainly pretty crazy at the top, like most 14’ers this time of year.

I’m a bit of 14’er obsessive, I climbed 42 last year (33 unique, 9 repeats). Antero was my 11th winter ascent this year. It’s quite the difference climbing in winter vs summer conditions. Took me nearly 9.5 hours to climb, and I’m pretty quick.

Attachments

• 5BEEACBB-DAE7-46A2-B196-D0DE4DFE54F8.jpeg
    5BEEACBB-DAE7-46A2-B196-D0DE4DFE54F8.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Coskier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member