DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 First Light on Mt. St. Helens from this Morning

Beautiful shot!

Reactions: AlanL
Beautiful! I remember calling my grandmother who lived in Port Angeles when Mt St Helens erupted. She said they could feel the blast through the open windows of the house

Reactions: dan.utinske
fantastic, on my to do list

Thanks - you are going to hate this but all I have to do is fly straight up from my driveway for the shot.

Beautiful! I remember calling my grandmother who lived in Port Angeles when Mt St Helens erupted. She said they could feel the blast through the open windows of the house
Thanks - I wasn't living in the NW when St. Helens erupted. It has grown a bit inside of the crater and blew off some steam once but nothing serious. I'd love to get a shot like this with steam clouds curling up out of the crater like we could see back in 2005.

Reactions: SWTSU
Got some really nice morning color early today and with the fall sun angle got some good rays on the upper slopes of Mt. St. Helens.

View attachment 169761
Comments and critiques always welcome.
Appears to be the S.E. face, Cougar side. Beautiful

It was odd, since we were only 17 miles from Helens when she went and heard nothing but it looked like the end of the world from the Morton area.. we heard that people on the WA coast heard it but we only saw the blast clouds. A moment to remember, I would returned to Fort Lewis and departed immediately for search and rescue operations around the mountain for a week.

got some good rays on the upper slopes of Mt. St. Helens.

Nice photo. 👍

I live in Indiana over 2000 miles (3200 k) away from Mt. St. Helens and a couple of days after it went off, there was a haze in the upper atmosphere from the ash.

Thanks for sharing.

It was odd, since we were only 17 miles from Helens when she went and heard nothing but it looked like the end of the world from the Morton area.. we heard that people on the WA coast heard it but we only saw the blast clouds. A moment to remember, I would returned to Fort Lewis and departed immediately for search and rescue operations around the mountain for a week.
We lived in a small town just west of Portland; I think we were about 40-50 miles away. We never heard it either; probably too far away. We used to be able to see the tip of the mountain from our house. That day as we were getting ready to go to the coast we saw the plume like an atomic bomb had exploded. Since the wind was from the west most of the ash from the initial blast went to Yakima. The next several days it went to Yakima. I remember a reporter on live TV in Yakima where it was dark like it was night with the ash falling like snow. And then the wind shifted south and for the first time came towards Portland; we got about 2-3 inches of ash.

Nice shot! It's all about timing isn't it?
Was this taken from the west side?

Those of you who still have limbs articulating, you have GOT to hike up that slope and sit on the crater edge (not too close now) and have lunch. It is one breathtaking view... of the surrounding area as well as several peaks, on a clear day. Great photo, OP!

Those of you who still have limbs articulating, you have GOT to hike up that slope and sit on the crater edge (not too close now) and have lunch. It is one breathtaking view... of the surrounding area as well as several peaks, on a clear day. Great photo, OP!
I wish I still had the physical conditioning to be able to do something like that. I will have to be satisfied with seeing the view from 400' AGL after finding the highest place I can legally launch from :)

Is it me? It looks as if you caught some lava flows on the right? Surely not after all this time. ;)
LOL - I would give body parts to get a shot like that :cool: The spot in question are the first rays of morning light on the mountain.

Great shot! Before I moved to TX, I had the opportunity to climb up to the ridge twice. Beautiful views from up there!

Fantastic!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne