DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Shadow Beacon

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I got a crazy light and color show this morning over Mt. Hood due to an oncoming storm from the west. Mt. Hood added to the mix with a shadow cast onto the clouds forming a beam of darkness. Single frame at 70mm.

DJI_M3P_70_ShadowBeacon120923.jpg
Comments and critiques always welcome.

Ooooooo

Is this an active volcano?
If not I assume the dark line is something like a jet's vapour trail or a dark streak on the clouds. If so, might it be an idea to edit out the plateau like top, unless, of course, the mountain does have a plateau like top.
That assumes the shot was taken so that the streak aligned with the mountain top.

Reactions: AlanL
Ooooooo

If not I assume the dark line is something like a jet's vapour trail or a dark streak on the clouds. If so, might it be an idea to edit out the plateau like top, unless, of course, the mountain does have a plateau like top.
That assumes the shot was taken so that the streak aligned with the mountain top.
Thanks - the streak is the shadow of the 11,000 foot volcanic peak projected onto the clouds by the sun angle.

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Ooooooo

Nobody living in this region would dare to suggest editing the shape of Mt. Hood to something else! At 11,242’ (3426m) it is naked-eye visible to perhaps 5 million people in the region. It’s iconic, with many indigenous Native American legends and stories.

It is not a plateau on top, we are seeing only an outline of the shape of an West-South-West to East-North-East ridgeline from the north or a little west of north.

As @AlanL explained in the OP this shadow effect seems to be in a dispersed cloud/fog layer with the Sun’s position below the peak at sunrise.

I got a crazy light and color show this morning over Mt. Hood due to an oncoming storm from the west. Mt. Hood added to the mix with a shadow cast onto the clouds forming a beam of darkness. Single frame at 70mm.

View attachment 170885
Comments and critiques always welcome.
Stunning! Just STUNNING!!! What a catch…

I think I would have been tempted to take this shot every 5 mintues hoping to capture the best light that it could offer as you said this was the Morning shot. Its really nice but I think a few mintues latter it would have been amazing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm.

I think I would have been tempted to take this shot every 5 mintues hoping to capture the best light that it could offer as you said this was the Morning shot. Its really nice but I think a few mintues latter it would have been amazing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm.
Thanks - this was actually peak color for the sunrise show. I got up in the air about a minute before I grabbed this shot and stayed up shooting in all directions for the next 10 minutes. The shadow was at about the 10 o'clock position when I first saw it and by 5 minutes after I took this had sunk all the way to the horizon. As the sun climbed to the horizon the colors faded first to yellow and then disappeared entirely. If anything I was late to get started since I didn't spot this until it was already in progress. I wish I had seen this 10 minutes earlier.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Nobody living in this region would dare to suggest editing the shape of Mt. Hood to something else! At 11,242’ (3426m) it is naked-eye visible to perhaps 5 million people in the region. It’s iconic, with many indigenous Native American legends and stories.

It is not a plateau on top, we are seeing only an outline of the shape of an West-South-West to East-North-East ridgeline from the north or a little west of north.

As @AlanL explained in the OP this shadow effect seems to be in a dispersed cloud/fog layer with the Sun’s position below the peak at sunrise.
Ah, I didn't read the text, I merely looked at the stunning picture.
It's even better having read the text but I have no idea as to the shape of Mt Hood.

Consider sending this on to Matt Zaffino at KGW-TV, who often discusses the meteorology of viewer-sent photos as part of his on-air weather forecast.

Fun fact: MZ is the only person to ever do a live television broadcast from the top of Mt. Hood. (he’s also a mountaineer)

Consider sending this on to Matt Zaffino at KGW-TV, who often discusses the meteorology of viewer-sent photos as part of his on-air weather forecast.

Fun fact: MZ is the only person to ever do a live television broadcast from the top of Mt. Hood. (he’s also a mountaineer)
I submitted a copy :)

Reactions: SethB
Awesome photo. Amazing colors! Thanks for sharing it with us

I submitted a copy :)
Cool! Will watch tonight… maybe he’ll comment, who knows there may be a fancy name for this phenomenon.

Thanks - when I saw this out my kitchen window I ran outside still wearing my slippers to get my drone up in the air for the shot.
Can’t believe you got in the air quickly enough.

Can’t believe you got in the air quickly enough.
I can load a battery and get out to my driveway in around a minute. My case allows me to keep the sticks threaded on my RC Pro so the longest wait is while the drone and controller are booting up :)

Thanks - when I saw this out my kitchen window I ran outside still wearing my slippers to get my drone up in the air for the shot.
Are they your bunny slippers? J/K! Heck of a shot @AlanL!

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc