DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Multi drone questions

BrianA

Reactions
I am considering buying another DJI drone. Question is can I use one controller for both AC or would it be easier just to use each controller with its own AC? Also Can I use the same tablet with both AC? Does the app care which controller its attached to? Sorry for so many questions but this hobby is getting addictive.

Depending on which model of aircraft, the stock remote may work with each one, but will have to be bound and rebound each time you use a different aircraft.

The Smart Controller from DJI will allow multiple qualifying aircraft to be bound, but can only fly one at a time.

You can use the same device and I think the flights are separated from each other in the app.

I have three different devices that fly two different drones along with the Go4 and GoFly apps without any problems.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
While you can use same controllers for SOME different DJI drone models, you have to repair them when changing over, a bit of a pain.
A recent thread of similar vein . . .

Even if the same remote controller could be used (and you're not using the Smart Controller), my preference would be to carry multiple remote controllers so I wouldn't have to relink the remote controllers when switching drones.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Depending upon the drone model, linking multiple drones of the same model to the same controller can be quite easy and beneficial. You can essentially create your own Smart Controller using a dedicated full sized iPad permanently mounted on a single controller that has been modified to silence the crazy heart attack beeping below 15% battery. Takes literally seconds to link a different aircraft to the RC. I use one such modified RC with 5 different Mavic 2 aircraft. Works great. You can also carry additional charged RC's to extend total flight time when the primary RC's battery becomes exhausted, without waiting to recharge it.

I cant speak to anything flying on Go but the Mini2, Air2 and Air2S use the same controller so you can switch back and forth between them although you have to re-pair them each time. Not really involved but a nuisance. Maybe with practice it'd become second nature. Fly doesn't care which drone or RC you're connecting to. I have 3 tablets that I use between my birds but none are "assigned". Assuming I'm not flying multiple drones with family I just grab whichever one is charged or closest to fly with.

Depending upon the drone model, linking multiple drones of the same model to the same controller can be quite easy and beneficial. You can essentially create your own Smart Controller using a dedicated full sized iPad permanently mounted on a single controller that has been modified to silence the crazy heart attack beeping below 15% battery. Takes literally seconds to link a different aircraft to the RC. I use one such modified RC with 5 different Mavic 2 aircraft. Works great. You can also carry additional charged RC's to extend total flight time when the primary RC's battery becomes exhausted, without waiting to recharge it.
Did you take apart your controller or just kinda permanently afix it to the ipad? Just curious. It would be really neat, If someone took an Ipad, made a box that the Ipad could fit in just flush to the surface and then make the box big enough to afix the Remoted sticks, r/c monitor (if there is one), antennas and buttons to the box itself. It would require a complete breakdown and rewiring of the rc, but it is doable. Maybe in my spare time, I'll make it a goal to create a DIY Smart Controller Box. Add a Tablet and completely take apart an R/C and attach all the important parts to a box that surrounds the Tablet.

Thanks for all the info. I think for now, IF I decided to add the Air 2S to my fleet, I'll use separate controllers with the same tablet. I don't plan on taking both drones with me as I also have DLSR cameras I lug around. The mini 2 will fit perfectly in my DSLR backpack.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54