DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Multiple drone FAA registration

twilloo

Reactions
Hello, I just got my Avata 2 and I will be of course registering it with the FAA. My question is since I will have one drone registered with the Faa will I have to register my Mini 4 pro? It is being flown with standard batteries and just for recreational purposes. Thanks

Hello, I just got my Avata 2 and I will be of course registering it with the FAA. My question is since I will have one drone registered with the Faa will I have to register my Mini 4 pro? It is being flown with standard batteries and just for recreational purposes. Thanks
If you are in the US and you have a drone which you fly strictly for fun, for recreational purposes only and it is under 250g then technically you do not have to register that particular drone with the FAA regardless of the registration status of the other drones you own; their registration details are separate and independent even though the recreational pilot will register *all* owned drones under that same registration number in the FAA portal.

If your Mini 4 Pro transmits RID details when it is flying, I am not sure. The experts will have to weigh in as to whether any drone that transmits RID details need to be registered because it is unclear to me so I can't speak to it (I realize this may not be your situation but for others who may be reading and wondering).

To be on the safe side, as a recreational drone pilot, I registered in the FAA database all drones that I own and fly and I affix the same registration number visibly on the outside of each and every drone....regardless. There is no advantage that I am aware of to forgo the FAA registration process except maybe one.*

Recreation pilots register themselves one time for all drones. If you're flying for commercial use (Part 107) you must register each drone (assuming you're in the USA). Otherwise, you will need to consult your country's regulations.

It's so easy to register all of your drones regardless of usage...

No, you don’t have to register a drone under 250g that is flown only for recreational purposes.

My question is since I will have one drone registered with the Faa will I have to register my Mini 4 pro? It is being flown with standard batteries and just for recreational purposes.
If you register your Mini 4 Pro and fly with standard batteries, you will need to attach an external RID module (like the Holy Stone RID module). So, if you decide to register, it would be more convenient to use Plus batteries since that will activate the RID module within the Mini 4 Pro.

If you register your Mini 4 Pro and fly with standard batteries, you will need to attach an external RID module (like the Holy Stone RID module). So, if you decide to register, it would be more convenient to use Plus batteries since that will activate the RID module within the Mini 4 Pro.
If I am flying a sub 250g drone for recreational purposes only, why would I need an RID module If I do not register it if I do not have to. I guess my real question is, do I have to register the m4p since I will have to register my avata 2

If I am flying a sub 250g drone for recreational purposes only, why would I need an RID module If I do not register it
Per my post above, you would only need to broadcast RID if it's registered.

I'm not sure why you'd want to register it if not needed. And then @drhitch54 noted it's so easy to register that he'd just register them all. Just sharing those additional details as doing easy things can sometimes make life harder.

Per my post above, you would only need to broadcast RID if it's registered.

I'm not sure why you'd want to register it if not needed. And then @drhitch54 noted it's so easy to register that he'd just register them all. Just sharing those additional details as doing easy things can sometimes make life harder.
Mainly because I do not want to spend 80 bucks or so for a module or a plus battery to make the build in module broadcast. My main concern was since I have an avata 2 that I will be registering, did that mean that I had to register my mp4 and according to most on the forum, I do not. Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me.

It's so easy to register all of your drones regardless of usage...
Easy yes, but unless flying under Part 107 why pay $5.00 per drone unnecessarily?

For recreational flyers, it's a one-time $5 for as many drones as you would like to register.
You must have MISREAD what I said! Reread, "unless flying under Part 107 why pay $5.00 per drone unnecessarily?"

You must have MISREAD what I said! Reread, "unless flying under Part 107 why pay $5.00 per drone unnecessarily?"
Ok I see; yeah I misunderstood. :) You are saying if you are part 107 and you fly commercial and you have a fleet of drones, why pay $5 for a bunch of drones you only plan to use recreationally? I'm not part 107 so I would think that if you are part 107 and you have a bunch of drones that you fly recreationally only, you would not try to add them (and pay for it) on your part 107 account but start a one-time $5 recreational account and add/register as many as you like especially if they are over 250g. I agree, I wouldn't start adding and paying for each of those either.

For the OP who is recreational and the suggestion was made to go ahead and register the drone anyway whether it needs to be registered or not (i.e. under 250g), I do the same and suggest the same....go ahead and add it for free and one day when you step up the battery or add strobes or whatever, you're all set if you have standard RID or you can go into the portal and link/switch on your external module. There's no downside to adding more drones to your recreational account.

Ok I see; yeah I misunderstood. :) You are saying if you are part 107 and you fly commercial and you have a fleet of drones, why pay $5 for a bunch of drones you only plan to use recreationally? I'm not part 107 so I would think that if you are part 107 and you have a bunch of drones that you fly recreationally only, you would not try to add them (and pay for it) on your part 107 account but start a one-time $5 recreational account and add/register as many as you like especially if they are over 250g. I agree, I wouldn't start adding and paying for each of those either.

For the OP who is recreational and the suggestion was made to go ahead and register the drone anyway whether it needs to be registered or not (i.e. under 250g), I do the same and suggest the same....go ahead and add it for free and one day when you step up the battery or add strobes or whatever, you're all set if you have standard RID or you can go into the portal and link/switch on your external module. There's no downside to adding more drones to your recreational account.
I was replying to the statement, “It's so easy to register all of your drones regardless of usage.”

This is exactly how a thread goes sideways

My comment to the OP is that drones being used under Part 107 must be registered individually.

Recreation pilots register themselves not the drone(s)

I hope that clarifies it for you and hopefully the OP is not confused

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Recreation pilots register themselves not the drone(s)
I believe that has changed, as a recreational pilot I have to register each and every drone I own (where required) by serial number and RID and I do this by adding each of them one by one to my portal inventory. However, I still only use a single registration number for all of my drones which mostly applies to the sticker and my registration card.

Reactions: msinger
I believe that has changed, as a recreational pilot I have to register each and every drone I own (where required) by serial number and RID and I do this by adding each of them one by one to my portal inventory.
You've confused RID with drone registration
However, I still only use a single registration number for all of my drones which mostly applies to the sticker and my registration card.
So it hasn't changed ... One registration number for multiple drones.

My main concern was since I have an avata 2 that I will be registering, did that mean that I had to register my mp4 and according to most on the forum, I do not.
That's correct. You do not have to register your Mini 4 Pro if it remains under 250g and you're flying recreationally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirjhara