DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My computer is ancient ..... video resolution question.

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
It won't play the 'higher resolution' video from even my P3Adv/Pro let alone 'x'K video.
There might be two things that are relevant, the actual resolution and the 'protocol' used, H'abc' vs H'xyz' etc..

I am not sure if the problem lies in the actual resolution or the protocol.
I happened to notice that the Mini 3 Pro etc. manual doesn't even list the resolutions that I think my computer can play.

Question. Is the use of a certain protocol part and parcel of shooting at these high resolution 'x'K resolutions?

...Question. Is the use of a certain protocol part and parcel of shooting at these high resolution 'x'K resolutions?
As high resolution, high bitrate video tends to generate large amounts of data, those videos usually get H265 compression. H265 can achieve up to 50% more compression than H264, which means that it can transmit the same quality video using less bandwidth or storage. This makes H265 ideal for high-resolution video formats.

The backside of this is that a H265 in most cases put greater demands on the device when playing it.

You can always test to convert it to H264 & see if your equipment handle it better...

If ranking thing's that put the greatest load on your playing device in falling order, it would look a bit like this.

1. H246 or H265 = kind of go or no go
2. Bitrate= always noticeable more load on higher
3. Frame rate= always noticeable more load on higher
4. Resolution= noticeable more load but the above have more impact.

Question. Is the use of a certain protocol part and parcel of shooting at these high resolution 'x'K resolutions?
Cut to the chase: if you have an "older" PC (mine is ~10 years old), then it most likely won't play 4k video files no matter what you do (H264/265/whatever). My solution? I record most things on my drone in HD (1080p), which both saves on file size and PC horsepower. Most folks can't tell the difference between HD and 4k anyway without a large screen...and I watch plenty of 4k material on my main TV (77" OLED).

I have been playing Drone since 2016. I purchased my Mavic 3 Cine this year. I did not have the processing power in my Macbook Pro, so I just purchased a new MacBook Air that solves the problem, but I recommend getting as much RAM as you’re able to do so and then buying external/drives to store your collection of videos and images. this is just part of the process of growing your hobby. there is no getting away from this. Good luck.

I use a 10 year old MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. I am no expert on video as I mostly shoot photos but any video I do shoot on my drones is shot in 4K using the H264 codec. I process it in Final Cut Pro and output the final video in 2.7K or 1080P depending on the size of the resulting video.

The age of your computer and its processor but especially the amount of RAM and the speed of the hard drive will affect your ability to play high resolution video.

My old MacBook can play 4K video as long as the program playing the video is the only program running. Also, my computer is too old to handle the newer H265 codec so I don't bother recording in that format.

Hope this helps in some way.

Chris

I use a 10 year old MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. I am no expert on video as I mostly shoot photos but any video I do shoot on my drones is shot in 4K using the H264 codec. I process it in Final Cut Pro and output the final video in 2.7K or 1080P depending on the size of the resulting video.

The age of your computer and its processor but especially the amount of RAM and the speed of the hard drive will affect your ability to play high resolution video.

My old MacBook can play 4K video as long as the program playing the video is the only program running. Also, my computer is too old to handle the newer H265 codec so I don't bother recording in that format.

Hope this helps in some way.

Chris
Why do you shoot in 4K when you output in 2.7K or 1080P? Better shoot in the resolution you want from the beginning, because it takes a lot of processing from the computer to change resolution.

Why do you shoot in 4K when you output in 2.7K or 1080P? Better shoot in the resolution you want from the beginning, because it takes a lot of processing from the computer to change resolution.
Because the Mavic 3 can’t record in 2.7k whereas the Mini 3 Pro can. I often combine clips from both drones so it makes it easier to output. I will usually choose 2.7k unless the output file size is too big in which case I’ll choose 1080P.

Chris

It won't play the 'higher resolution' video from even my P3Adv/Pro let alone 'x'K video.
There might be two things that are relevant, the actual resolution and the 'protocol' used, H'abc' vs H'xyz' etc..

I am not sure if the problem lies in the actual resolution or the protocol.
I happened to notice that the Mini 3 Pro etc. manual doesn't even list the resolutions that I think my computer can play.

My recommendation, buy a Mac. If you have a 4K or 5k drone you will be frustrated using substandard equipment.

Thanks but too expensive, besides I have an older Mac (second hand) and don't like some aspects of it.
No worries. I used to own a network solutions company and full windows man. I took a bite of the apple and was forever jaded. If u ever do it for business you will want to make the switch. Mac’s are far superior on media in my opinion, last forever, and rarely have the issues windows still have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas