DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My drone has crashed, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can gather is that about 10seconds after take off it lost GPS and went into ATTI mode. Though data evaluation is not my strong point...
ATTI mode + bad compass calibration or interference, could account for the strange behaviour and unfortunate crash.

Reactions: philh24
The proper log will tell the whole story, including stick inputs etc. but to be honest you don't have to look much further than being 8 floors up with no GPS to hold position. The wind is enough to cause the rest of what you described.

No sign of anything other than a poor choice of location to fly from and a possible failure to respond to the shift to ATTI mode by controlling the drift.

Reactions: WSNC_Mavic
Unfortunately I sent the drone to the store and they will send it to the importer to look into it. anyways, there is something to repair ? Or it is totally lost ? And if yes, how much it is going to cost ?

If DJI determine that it is not a warranty fault (most likely) then they will probably give you a quote for repair and/or an offer to sell you a new one at a discount.

Hard to predict the cost of repair based on your photo, but I'd say 'not cheap' but probably less than the total replacement cost.

We really need the full log (not just the useless text) to evaluate what really happened. The full log will give warnings, interference, stick positions, etc.

Sorry I've missed the deleted texts. They also seem to have been deleted from you posts on DJI forum. Must be a sore subject for some :)

If DJI determine that it is not a warranty fault (most likely) then they will probably give you a quote for repair and/or an offer to sell you a new one at a discount.

Hard to predict the cost of repair based on your photo, but I'd say 'not cheap' but probably less than the total replacement cost.
Describe "not cheap" considering that the camera is in a good shape. I can afford to pay 300$ but not more.

Describe "not cheap" considering that the camera is in a good shape. I can afford to pay 300$ but not more.

Do you really expect a stranger on the internet to give you a precise repair quote from a photo?

I'm sorry, but your camera and gimbal is laying next to the aircraft and appears to be no longer attached, it may still be functional or it may need replacing as well, impossible to tell, but if it does need replacing that is well over $300 on its own.

Wait and see what DJI have to say, you may get lucky...

May be easier and quicker to buy a standalone mavic (without controller) as replacement, and you get an extra battery as a bonus (as your old battery appears to be functional). $750 though, but I think your damage will exceed your $300 limit...

Always worth waiting for the official response, miracles do sometimes happen.

... but failing that I'll be very surprised if the repair costs come in under $300.

I think I if it's above 300$ I'll just wait for the mavic pro 2, and just take a lesson from my mistake. Hope this post will help others to avoid mistakes like this. Best for you all, and fly safe !

A couple of things here...

If the aircraft went into ATTI mode, (going by some of the talk here), that is just another reason to be experienced with ATTI flight. The aircraft will default to ATTI if it loses GPS. All operators should learn how to fly in ATTI mode as you will no longer have GPS to fly it for you.

Secondly, when a member asks for help there is no need to condemn them with rude comments. If you really care about safety you would briefly explain in a friendly manner what he may have done to be safer and try to help with their question.

I have reviewed the thread and restored some of the deleted post. If you were warned by the staff about a post, do not post about it on the forum, that is a violation of the rules and will exacerbate your problems here. Please review the rules if you are not familiar with them - Community Rules

Let's not forget we are all here for the same thing, the comradery and the love of RC aircraft. Please treat your fellow members with respect.

Another possibility not mentioned is gps reflections causing the mavic to think it is out of position, causing the rapid travel described by the OP. Yes, buy a cheap drone without gps and use it to practice flying in ATTI mode. It's important to be secure and under control flying with just the sticks. All the best to the OP and sorry about the crash.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I sent the drone to the store and they will send it to the importer to look into it. anyways, there is something to repair ? Or it is totally lost ? And if yes, how much it is going to cost ?
My estimate is that parts would cost ~$160 if the camera is still good.
If your camera was damaged and needs replaced, you're looking at ~$480.

A couple of things here...

If the aircraft went into ATTI mode, (going by some of the talk here), that is just another reason to be experienced with ATTI flight. The aircraft will default to ATTI if it loses GPS. All operators should learn how to fly in ATTI mode as you will no longer have GPS to fly it for you.

And this is why I think manual activation of atti mode should of been available on the mavic.

Reactions: tribar and EsiMavic
My estimate is that parts would cost ~$160 if the camera is still good.
If your camera was damaged and needs replaced, you're looking at ~$480.

The camera was not damage from the outside , but it can it be from the inside ? and is it possible to repair ?

To the best of my knowledge, DJI do not repair the camera/gimbal assembly, if it is damaged it is replaced as a complete unit.

Yes, it is possible for there to be internal damage, but speculation is pointless, just have to wait and see at this point.

The building is full of metal, electrical signals, interference etc.
You probably will not get a satellite lock when on your balcony and probably a interference warning.

When you went into open area the drone was confused.

If I try to take off within a few meters of my car, the compass tells me its not working correctly.

Its going to cost a few $$ to repair the damage.

Also there is no way you could have calibrated the compass on a balcony. With the errors, no gps, confused compass, thats an automatic recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair