DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My experience with DJI repairs

astrohip

Reactions
Due to pilot error and a tree crash, one of the rear legs broke off my Air 2S (it was still attached via the wires, but the leg was snapped off). Sent to DJI for repair.

The process was quick, and DJI communicated continuously. Sent me an email when they got it, when they examined it, determined the damage, and then the cost to repair. Once I approved, it was repaired, sent to QC, and then shipped back. Shipping both ways was included. About $90 total, which was amazingly low to me. And the entire process took 8 calendar days. Shipped it back to them on a Monday, they shipped it back the next Monday (arrived next day). A ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ process.

My only complaint: They shipped back a refurb. It's not so much that I don't want a refurb, but there was absolutely no warning or heads up. They do warn you when you initiate the repair process that a refurb may be returned, but that's the last time it was mentioned. At one point in the above process, it even said it was in QC, and then it said "passed". Don't tell me you're putting my drone thru QC, and then ship me a refurb. Just tell me you're going to send a refurb in its place. I only discovered this when I opened the box, and realized all my stickers were missing (ID, phone #, Pilot Institute w/FAA regist #, Dead Stealie, etc). I had to go thru the pairing process again, download all the data again, etc. Everything you do when you first get your drone. It's exciting with a new drone, just a PITA the second time. It would have helped if they enclosed a piece of paper with the fact it's a refurb, and reminding us of what we have to do to get it registered and flying again.

This cost DJI one star, ending with a 4-Star rating (IMHO). Having said all this, I would use them again, without hesitation.

Reactions: Tom F.
Many people complain when they send their new drone back for a small or any warranty work. DJI always sends back a refurbished drone. That's why they are so fast. That is one reason I always buy refurbished. It is probably checked/QC better then new. It has the same warranty as new. The other reason is I save a lot of money.

I had a simular experience- sent in my Mini 2 for repair with no Refresh Plan. Cracked body, gimble assm completely severed, cosmetic damage and broken off battery latch. turn around from quote to repair- about 8 days. $77 USD, free shipping to/from. I'm not sure if I got a refurbished drone or a brand new one(different serial number and factory stickers still attached), but either way I'm incredibly impressed with the cost, turn-around time and the just how easy the entire process in general was.

Perhaps I wasnt so bothered by the whole refurb thing because I half expected it going in given all the repair posts I've read about both here and on Reddit. That, and it took a couple days for me to find the drone after the crash so it sat in the rain overnight. Anything beats potential future electrical gremlins.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
If your Drone has damage in a certain area or has more than one problem it is most likely gonna get tossed at DJI and replaced with a Refurb. If you want your same drone back you will have to get it repaired locally.(If possible) or a non DJI online repair center. You would probably be waiting quite some time for DJI to track and repair your one drone.

Reactions: YVRGUY
Due to pilot error and a tree crash,
I crashed my Mini 2 into a tree, it dropped to the ground and then a truck came down the old dirt road before I could get to it and the beige color of the drone with the sand, dirt and debris on the road made the drone invisible and the farmer drove right over it, BTW, the farmer was probably looking at me as I was running towards him to retrieve the drone… Any case, the mini 2 was more like a Mini 1 (crushed and flattened…). DJI replaced the drone in a week, but I received a new one… (wait for it…)

The replacement drone started acting up with connection errors and DJI replaced it under warranty. But that took well over a week and to make up for the them "loosing" the drone for 3-weeks, I received a coupon for a FREE Battery/Shipping from the DJI Store. (Worth it…)

Now, if you "waited for it…" This is how to recognize a "Refurb" from a New one…

The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. In addition, DJI uses a black sticker with “Refurbished” on it for its refurbished products.

Hope you are mistaken and you received a New One rather than a Refurb…

Reactions: astrohip
I too crashed my new DJI Mini 3 pro due to some stupidity on my part. Sent the drone to DJI for repair and received great service. Or so I thought. I was expecting my drone to be repaired ( new arm ) but received a refurb. I was not real pleased.
Now I have a new issue. When flying I have a great picture on the display and can take a great picture. If I use record the screen goes to white and makes the screen unreadable. The only way to clear that is to go back to picture mode. Can anyone help me with this ? Is there a setting that’s wrong Or is it more serious? Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I hit a tree at night and needed major repairs. I sent it to China, and fortunately, they repaired it, and sent me back the same drone. Now I need another repair, on a drone I bought 6 weeks ago, and I prefer not getting a refurbished drone. Given the time they say it will take, I hope they're actually repairing my drone. People should have the option of not getting a refurbished drone, as long as they're willing to wait a little longer.

If I use record the screen goes to white and makes the screen unreadable.
I have a Mini 2, not the 3, so I use my phone or one of my two tablets as my flying device. On my older tablet, if I use the built in record screen option (not part of the Fly App...) the screen somtimes stutters, but the video is fine... This device just is not fast enough to run the fly app and the screen recording at the same time...

Is the screen record option part of your controller and fly app software or are you using an "add-on" app that you downloaded to the controller...

Next, does it happen in all video recording modes, 2.7K and 4K, and at all frame rates (60fps is a lot of data to process...) and if you are just flying along or also using the pre-programmed quick shots.

I'm just wondering if the controller's processors just cannot keep up with all that is happening?

I am sorry that I cannot help with your issue, but the answers to these questions might help to diagnose the problem.

My only complaint: T .................. At one point in the above process, it even said it was in QC, and then it said "passed".
Why would a new drone be separately documented as going through QC?
I would assume that ALL new drones have been through QC and passed and that only repaired/refurbished drones would need a separately documented QC processing.

If they sent you a new drone you would have to set that up too.
Bearing in mind that you knew a refurbished drone was a possibility I think you are being a bit fussy with such a "complaint".

Why would a new drone be separately documented as going through QC?
I would assume that ALL new drones have been through QC and passed and that only repaired/refurbished drones would need a separately documented QC processing.

If they sent you a new drone you would have to set that up too.
Bearing in mind that you knew a refurbished drone was a possibility I think you are being a bit fussy with such a "complaint".
All products go through QC so I see nothing unusual with the company having a QC certificate for a new drone.

I too crashed my new DJI Mini 3 pro due to some stupidity on my part. Sent the drone to DJI for repair and received great service. Or so I thought. I was expecting my drone to be repaired ( new arm ) but received a refurb. I was not real pleased.
Now I have a new issue. When flying I have a great picture on the display and can take a great picture. If I use record the screen goes to white and makes the screen unreadable. The only way to clear that is to go back to picture mode. Can anyone help me with this ? Is there a setting that’s wrong Or is it more serious? Thanks
Sounds like you are overexposed. Change the video settings to "Auto"

Seems like they would always want to send a refurb unit after a repair. Whether it be one someone else sent in or the one you sent I would expect a unit returned to me marked refurbished. I guess my point is that your drone IS a refurb unit after you send it in to them right?

Seems like they would always want to send a refurb unit after a repair.
The standard for DJI (as I understand it…) is:

The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. In addition, DJI uses a black sticker with “Refurbished” on it for its refurbished products.

I can only speak for the Mini 2. I bought a Mini 2, New, from Costco two-years ago. I put it into a tree 6-months later, and then a truck ran over it… Dji replaced it under the Care Refresh, the Serial Number did not have an "R" or an "S" in the serial number. That Mini 2 started having connection problems within two-weeks and they again replaced it, but this one was under warranty…

This third Mini 2 did not have an "R" or an "S" in the serial number either and none of the boxes had a “Refurbished” tag on it.

All replacements were handled through the Fort Worth, TX, USA, facility.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it… L o L…

tenor (1).gif

I crashed my Air2S after almost 2 years, ironically while flying over my driveway and not on some wild flights I have done. While it was auto landing in my driveway I was walking from my back yard to my front and must have pressed the controller to my body while opening a gate, send it careening into the giant trees in my back yard.

I quickly opened a repair case with DJI and sent it via UPS the next day. Once they checked it out they said it would be $86 and included the shipping and new propellers. Super reasonable.

They sent me a replacement drone that looks brand new. And works like new. And they sent it back to me in my original box I used to send it to them, which I appreciated, plus my controller and battery.

I am very impressed with their customer service.

The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne