DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 My first attempt at editing!

RSD1982

Reactions
This is the first time I've actually sat and edited a video. Don't be too harsh!
P.S. I'm aware I left the footage circling the castle play for too long - it makes me dizzy. Will bear it in mind in future. Also, a flyaway shot would have been good to end.

Looks like a great place to fly!
You covered the fly around - once would be good at a close distance like yours
@ the end of the first rotation, maybe drop down to beach where those people are walking and fly along the beach. Maybe fly out over the water to look back @ the castle & catch its reflection on the smooth water. From a distance do a half-around flight. Lots of possibilities.

For you first edit...I think you did well. You obviously had a good subject matter and surrounding area. The music worked very well. I think you're on your way. The more footage you shoot, the more you'll have to edit which leads to better final videos. You got this!

Reactions: RSD1982
Looks like a great place to fly!
You covered the fly around - once would be good at a close distance like yours
@ the end of the first rotation, maybe drop down to beach where those people are walking and fly along the beach. Maybe fly out over the water to look back @ the castle & catch its reflection on the smooth water. From a distance do a half-around flight. Lots of possibilities.

For you first edit...I think you did well. You obviously had a good subject matter and surrounding area. The music worked very well. I think you're on your way. The more footage you shoot, the more you'll have to edit which leads to better final videos. You got this!
Thanks for the advice. We’re spoiled around Ayrshire for beautiful sights to film.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Totally agree with what Prop Wash wrote. I would add, a top down shot is always great. You could have started real low, almost in the castle, then slowly risen straight up to reveal the castle...no movement side to side or forward-backward, just up. Yes, you could end with a medium shot of the castle and do a long pull out but your opening shot was the reverse of that and it worked fine, so maybe you don't need that.

Lots of forum members talk about telling a a story with a video. Always think that way especially when you go out to shoot the video. Knowing you were going to shoot that castle, on your opening shot, you could have framed it a bit to the left and put your title CG over the right side...over the ocean. You see that a lot in the movies. then a close-up of the castle, the circle shot, etc. Not all shots have to be moving. If you're telling a story, how about a shot just sitting still behind the castle with just half of it showing on the left or right and ocean in the background. Then, you're showing the POV of the people who lived there hundreds of years ago. Great start though. Keep at it and have fun!

Good job. You'll remember your lessons learned. The best editing leaves a LOT on the cutting room floor or the digital bit bucket, but its hard to not keep all those GBs of foottage. Keep at it, we'll keep watching.

Reactions: RSD1982
Thank you all for your replies.
What I should have mentioned is that this was filmed with me operating the drone from over 400m away meaning I had to keep a decent height to maintain VLOS. There was originally 26 minutes of footage so a fair amount of cropping. I was thinking of recording some voiceover tracks with the history of the castles and landmarks I’m filming too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair