DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first attempt Video editing

Tommy85

Reactions
Being 84 this is kinda hard for me. I welcome any comments on what I'm doing wrong.
I know I flew the drone to fast in Litchi so now I've edited the program to slow it down. I used Wondershare Filmara.

Very nice Tom! Quite the remodel project. The greens came through very nicely and the music accompaniment was appropriate (lovely rural area). Generally the cuts are kept short and flight transitions are left out. I agree that the video editing is the hardest part of the whole endeavor! A very respectable first effort. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: desertvet38
Thanks for the info Floater. I will try to edit out the transitions from now on. Got a hard learning curve.

Living in northern Indiana 20 miles south of Purdue University I get very few days the wind is low. This flight wind was 5 mph.

Being 84 this is kinda hard for me. I welcome any comments on what I'm doing wrong.
I know I flew the drone to fast in Litchi so now I've edited the program to slow it down. I used Wondershare Filmara.

Not a bad effort, you have pretty good control of the drone and yes editing is a never ending learning project

Thanks for sharing and request some feedback. For this test run, overall you show pretty good drone flying control. Congrats on jumping in a learning how to edit video as it is a rather steep learning curve.

1) Overall video is slightly underexposed. Easily corrected in editing. Utilize YouTube tutorials on color correction.

2) In a few place, for example at about 11-14 seconds in the video, there are some jerky movements. This can be resolved by adjusting the gimbal settings (Check YouTube) and with practice.

3) Cinematic video shooting will greatly enhance any video project. Check YouTube tutorials. Start by practicing a few at a time on a single subject and incorporate them into a project.

4) Subject matter. For me, this is the most important consideration. Is the subject of the video compelling and interesting? In part, this is where cinematic shooting can enhance a project. Instead of me going on and on about this...

5) Go to: airvuz.com

RickinWaST
Thanks for all your comets. I've copied them off so I can go to YouTube & learn more. This was a programed in Litchi so I can watch & make a flash drive of videos for my Grandkids house remodel
So I'm learning two things at the same time.

See you live in Spokane Wash. I was stationed there in Army back in 55 to 57 at F.A.F.B. protecting the B-36 bombers. Loved Spokane.

Hi Tommy - Great effort and I know that you'll have fun with the editing - as it's almost as much fun as the flying ...
I use Filmora too. One of the things that you'll learn about is using 'transitions' - Rather than just a cut from one scene to the next, you can dissolve out of one into the next. You can use a 'fade' at the beginning and end (go from black to the vid, and from the vid to black), and a 'dissolve' is placed on top of a scene break, so you can 'gently' go from one scene to another. You'll find that you can mix dissolves with cuts - especially when you have the music that suits it. You can also set your scene changes to sync with the music ... I'm learning about Filmora as I go - but if you need some help, feel free to direct message (Start a Conversation) me and I'd be happy to discover new ways to use it along with you ...

The other thing that you might like to look at a YouTube video about, is how to make the Mavic itself a bit steadier by changing the Gimbal settings and the yaw rate of the Drone ... Have a look at this ...

Reactions: miniflyer

From one geezer to another (I am 81)...nice first attempt. Nice flying for a start. Agree with above comments to keep clips short and delete flight transitions. It took me a year to find a teacher and learn video editing. Video editing is the challenge every time.

Reactions: Tommy85

I'm a first time editor also. I used IMovie. From the looks of it only Noobs use IMovie, every one else is using sometype of Final Cut, Adobe, Lightroom etc.

I'm a first time editor also. I used IMovie. From the looks of it only Noobs use IMovie, every one else is using sometype of Final Cut, Adobe, Lightroom etc.

I tried iMovie- I had to attend a session at the Apple Store. I was not able to really achieve what I wanted except to link several clips together. I do not think you edit video in Lightroom very well. The state of the art is Adobe Premiere but it is pricey. I got in on a 40% deal for the suite but not too sure if I can repeat if that expires. When push comes to shove, I'd probably. teach myself Final Cut Pro,

@Tommy85 - I had someone state that your first video will be your worst, even though I disproved that theory ?
There are so many editing software programs out there. Everybody has a "personal preference", just like cars. Basically they will do almost the same things, finding one that meets your needs and you feel comfortable using will be the best one for you.

I use VSDC, which so far has done everything I need in an editing program. They have both a free and paid version and there are a ton of YouTube videos showing all of it's different features.

I just checked it out and it not for me because it is only for PC. I went from PC to MAC about 2 years ago.

Hi Tommy - Great effort and I know that you'll have fun with the editing - as it's almost as much fun as the flying ...
I use Filmora too. One of the things that you'll learn about is using 'transitions' - Rather than just a cut from one scene to the next, you can dissolve out of one into the next. You can use a 'fade' at the beginning and end (go from black to the vid, and from the vid to black), and a 'dissolve' is placed on top of a scene break, so you can 'gently' go from one scene to another. You'll find that you can mix dissolves with cuts - especially when you have the music that suits it. You can also set your scene changes to sync with the music ... I'm learning about Filmora as I go - but if you need some help, feel free to direct message (Start a Conversation) me and I'd be happy to discover new ways to use it along with you ...

The other thing that you might like to look at a YouTube video about, is how to make the Mavic itself a bit steadier by changing the Gimbal settings and the yaw rate of the Drone ... Have a look at this ...

Thanks again I'm learning a lot here from people that have more experience than I have at the moment. I also copied all your info & the YouTube so I can use it.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thanks again I'm learning a lot here from people that have more experience than I have at the moment. I also copied all your info & the YouTube so I can use it.
If you'd like to see my efforts with Filmora and get some ideas ... Have a look here ...

Great 1st effort Tom. You will get good advice on this forum. The only advice I can offer is to watch that Labrador of yours when RTH. You can see my Freeda featured left (Harrier Hound/Beagle cross) who loves drones (to eat)....and no she didn't lose her leg in a drone accident...nor did I chop it off to slow her down from catching my Mavic. LOL. She's a rescue dog who was a victim of 'dogmestic' violence. We took her on 12 months ago and she is truly a delight with personality plus....but would love to eat my drone! Perhaps with her pedigree, I could use her to 'sniff' out my drone should I lose it.
Welcome Tom and stay safe (may the only bug you get, be for flying) from Down Under.

• Love
If you'd like to see my efforts with Filmora and get some ideas ... Have a look here ...

Thank you for a lot of great ideas. I have a 77-acre farm that a friend farms for me, so now I can go fly over him as he plants & combines.

Thank you for a lot of great ideas. I have a 77-acre farm that a friend farms for me, so now I can go fly over him as he plants & combines.
I had a look at your clip "Fishing Lake." Did you add any color correction to it? The foliage seems a bit washed out- I would have liked to to have more contrast, and deeper green. The piloting was very nice- calming, and slow and the music track ideal.

Just slow it down... There are all kinds of videos on YouTube where people show you how to adjust your settings on your controller to help you with smooth movements. Cut out the unnecessary traveling to your new subject, and usually, the shots are kept to around 5 seconds or so. That's just a guideline, not written in stone. You want to keep the viewers attention...too much time spent on one object or scene, and people usually become bored and turn off your video, and go to the next one (trust me, I learned the hard way). Don't forget about "beat detection", which I always use, but if you do decide to use it, don't do "automatic detection". Do it manually for much more accurate results! Then you can change your scenes on the beats and it'll be just that much more awesome! Otherwise, good job on the first time edit! Keep it up...you'll get better the more you do it! Safe flying and God bless!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard