DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first crack at DaVinci - my Mini footage turned to mush (with movement)

mraroid

Reactions
Hi folks....

I am trying to learn DaVinci Resolve 16.1. Any one here know of a drone forum where DaVinci is discussed in detail (as it relates to drones)?

I have been watching DaVinci videos on You Tube. I thought I knew enough to to import my Mavic Mini footage and export it in 2.7K. I was able to do some very simple edits. I was able to import some music. But I was not able to grab the music and pull it to stretch it out so it ended when my video ended. But my big issue is that after I rendered my video and looked at it, I saw a very big problem.

When the drone is not moving very fast, the video looks OK (well, OK for me not knowing how to fly). But when I hit the "come home and land button" the drone moved faster then I wanted. The footage where the drone moves fast turns the video into mush. When the drone is flying slowly, the video looks OK.

I think what I am doing wrong involves the settings I have chosen when I exported the video and rendered. My finished video came out in 2.7K.

I have posted my 6 minute video on You Tube here:

If you start looking at 2.37 minutes into the video, you can see the mush I am talking about in the trees. You can see more smearing at the end of the video starting at around 5.35 minutes.

Any guesses on what I am doing wrong?

Any feedback welcomed.

Thank you,

mraroid

Looks like your bitrate is too low. Don’t know why, but when you’ll select “best” bitrate in Resolve’s rendering options, it’s not best at all!
You have to select the other option, and set any value above 40000. Should work like a charm, unless it’s YouTube’s compression playing with my eyes.

I did use the "best" option for my bitrate. I will try to your suggestion and manually select a bitrate. Very good tip!! Thank you so much.

mraroid

But when I hit the "come home and land button" the drone moved faster then I wanted. The footage where the drone moves fast turns the video into mush. When the drone is flying slowly, the video looks OK.

Using the return to home function is not going to get you nice video results, fly the drone home manually in cinematic mode.

Airbeaver... You are right. I am very new to this so I am drinking from a fire hose. However, the worst footage is of the drone slowly coming down after it came back home. Take a look at minute 2.37 in my video. The drone is coming down slowly among trees. The video turned into mush. Any idea what could cause this?

Thank you for the help.

mraroid

Is it the original footage that is bad or only the davinci output?
If the original is bad it could be the SD card is not good enough.

Reactions: Capt KO
Hello Fizzbang... My original footage looks OK. It is only after I toss it into DaVinci, edit and then export do I see this issue. So I am causing it I believe. I believe I am doing something wrong in DaVinci.

mraroid

Should work like a charm, unless it’s YouTube’s compression playing with my eyes.

Hello jumpinbean....

I should have paid attention to your comment about You Tube's compression.

I did a second render and changed to a bitrate of 8,000. My video looked the same on You Tube. So this time, I looked at both videos before I uploaded them to You Tube. Both videos looked quite good compared to what they look like when viewing them on You Tube. I may be rendering them incorrectly.

I shot the 2.7K video @ 30 fps. But I see that I selected 29.97 fps when I rendered. Could that be a problem? Also, for Encoding Profile, I selected Auto. I see that I could select High. Would that help?

Here are my rendering settings. Maybe someone can find what I am doing wrong:

Format = Quicktime
Codec - H.264
Resolution = Custom = 2120 X 1530
Frame Rate = 29.97
Quality = Restrict to 8,000 Kb/s (is the bitrate of a Mavic Mini 10,000 kb/s?)
Encoding Profile = Auto

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks everyone.

mraroid

I re rendered my project. I changed the Encoding Profile from Auto to High. Like the other vidoes, it looks fine before I upload it to You Tube, but crappy when I play it back on my 4K OLED TV.

I could not figure out how to change the frame rate from 29.97 to 30 fps.

I have no idea what the correct setting for Format should be. I picked Quicktime, but honestly, I have no idea.

Is anyone here using DaVinci Resolve 16? Any tips??

Here is a link to my video re rendered using the encoding profile set to High, as opposed to Auto like my first video. It looks the same to me. Again, the worst part is when I am slowing lowering the Mavic Mini down to land among trees. The trees start to turn to mush around 2:58 to minute 3:13.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mraroid

I am new to this Drones and video also. Just an observation. My video looks good until I upload to Utube or Facebook. I think they perhaps use a compression algorithm. that severely downgrades video.

I am new to this Drones and video also. Just an observation. My video looks good until I upload to Utube or Facebook. I think they perhaps use a compression algorithm. that severely downgrades video.

Hi Scinch.... Perhaps you are right. But I have seen some videos on You Tube that look perfect. It very well could be that they were filmed correctly to start with. I know my video was shot under bad conditions. Can you post a link to ne of your videos? I would like to see what it looks like. Compression may be my problem. I need to shoot under better conditions I think.

mraroid

Initial video on YouTube will show as SD, but I. 2-4 hours after processing there is complete it will be in the same resolution you filmed in... up to and including 4K. I do believe they have throttled playback depending on the speed of the connection used to access content.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143