DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first effort - Matauri Bay, New Zealand

wendyc

Reactions
Still rough as guts but of a beautiful bay in the north of North Island, New Zealand. Its a bit long too, so will learn from that. If you do watch, please cc on my choice of music, does it work ok?
Cheers

Reactions: windluv
Cindy, the video in general I like, very good scenery, very good colors; I would only object to the drone's turns, they are too violent, and they bother the eye and have shakes, I think that in these cases (turns) it is preferable to use the "point of interest" app. There are very good tutorials on the internet. The music is ok for me, it's my taste.
Adolf from Argentina
Keep going, good start

Really great start! As others have mentioned, slower movements will help, try and focus on 4-8 second "shots" that provide that smooth pan and subtle camera movements. Another thing to focus on are points of interest…people, a wave crashing, a building, a mountain, the sun etc...Keep going, it only gets easier!

Reactions: wendyc
Cindy, the video in general I like, very good scenery, very good colors; I would only object to the drone's turns, they are too violent, and they bother the eye and have shakes, I think that in these cases (turns) it is preferable to use the "point of interest" app. There are very good tutorials on the internet. The music is ok for me, it's my taste.
Adolf from Argentina
Keep going, good start
Thanks and yes they are terrible turns, I have since switched to tripod mode. This was my very first attempt so I need MUCH more practice, but put it up because its so pretty :). Thanks also for the point of interest tip

Really great start! As others have mentioned, slower movements will help, try and focus on 4-8 second "shots" that provide that smooth pan and subtle camera movements. Another thing to focus on are points of interest…people, a wave crashing, a building, a mountain, the sun etc...Keep going, it only gets easier!
Brilliant hints thanks so much. I was a bit shy of not upsetting people with the drone and then when it got so far out I panicked becasue I couldnt see it, that is quite a problem for me, I lose sight of it, may need to get some of those lights! So do you mean 44 - 6 shots while panning the camera or turning the drone with the camera as is?

Hi.
As a fellow kiwi I love seeing my own country being filmed, and you’ve shown why I got a drone to help do it.
For a first effort its good and the music is a fine choice. Just be careful if you are posting it anywhere you don’t infringe on any copyrights.
I’d agree above with the panning. It was a mistake I made with my first few. Make it nice and smooth and pan slowly. Remember you are letting the viewer see the view so let them have time to do it.
There are functions that will help you as i’m sure you’ve discovered. I still like to fly the drone myself and find pinching the fingers and holding the sticks like a pencil is better than the thumb on the top method.
Otherwise keep going. I go by the old fishing adage “a bad day droning is still better than a good day working”.
Good luck.

Hi.
As a fellow kiwi I love seeing my own country being filmed, and you’ve shown why I got a drone to help do it.
For a first effort its good and the music is a fine choice. Just be careful if you are posting it anywhere you don’t infringe on any copyrights.
I’d agree above with the panning. It was a mistake I made with my first few. Make it nice and smooth and pan slowly. Remember you are letting the viewer see the view so let them have time to do it.
There are functions that will help you as i’m sure you’ve discovered. I still like to fly the drone myself and find pinching the fingers and holding the sticks like a pencil is better than the thumb on the top method.
Otherwise keep going. I go by the old fishing adage “a bad day droning is still better than a good day working”.
Good luck.
Thank you very much, it was free music

Hi Wendyc, can you tell me where have you downloaded that nice music for your video: Thanks

Still rough as guts but of a beautiful bay in the north of North Island, New Zealand. Its a bit long too, so will learn from that. If you do watch, please cc on my choice of music, does it work ok?
Cheers

Gosh thats pretty, and I'm sure a lot warmer than the weather we have in Michigan!

I'd recommend practicing some cinematic shots like Point of Interest, reveal, crane shot, etc. I think a Point of Interest shot around one of those islands in the bay would be pretty epic.

I would also love to see the bay during the golden hour if it looks that beautiful during the day!

Be who you want to be don't change.!
Wendy the video was great not over produced and I like that
So many drone Vida are so slick
....Keep it classy
....cR

Cheers
Hi Wendy - Great place to fly! (Brings back memories!). One thing you might get a lot of value from ... There are loads of YouTube vid's out there that describe how you can change sensitivity settings for gimbal movement and drone-yaw, to make movement a lot smoother. There's also 'Tripod Mode' that will sloooow-down those left/right drone movements to get those panning shots back to a slow jog, rather than a sprint. I'm sure you'll want to go back there again and try different settings - but that's all the fun of the sport. Keep up the good work.

Gosh thats pretty, and I'm sure a lot warmer than the weather we have in Michigan!

I'd recommend practicing some cinematic shots like Point of Interest, reveal, crane shot, etc. I think a Point of Interest shot around one of those islands in the bay would be pretty epic.

I would also love to see the bay during the golden hour if it looks that beautiful during the day!
Good thinking, to be honest I am so new I was a bit terrified being so far out of the water and close to the local helicopter which takes tourists for over island flights which are truly stunning, one island after another. I have been doing some research on different types of shots, its really interesting, I had no idea! Its a half hour away so golden hour very easy to get, I will do it especially for you :)

Hi Wendy - Great place to fly! (Brings back memories!). One thing you might get a lot of value from ... There are loads of YouTube vid's out there that describe how you can change sensitivity settings for gimbal movement and drone-yaw, to make movement a lot smoother. There's also 'Tripod Mode' that will sloooow-down those left/right drone movements to get those panning shots back to a slow jog, rather than a sprint. I'm sure you'll want to go back there again and try different settings - but that's all the fun of the sport. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for your excellent advice, I have been watching one after another with excitement to be a better video cinematographer person lol. Cant wait to improve.

Be who you want to be don't change.!
Wendy the video was great not over produced and I like that
So many drone Vida are so slick
....Keep it classy
....cR
Thank you cR x

Reactions: charliesRig

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member