DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first Video Edit Attempt

deputyrick

Reactions
I have been using the drone for sometime now, but this was really the first time I went out and shot video so I could try editing it. Pleased let me know what worked and what didn't as well as what I could do better. Thanks

The video shows caves that were dug out by hand more then 700 years ago in Arizona.

Last edited:
I have been using the drone for sometime now, but this was really the first time I went out and shot video so I could try editing it. Pleased let me know what worked and what didn't as well as what I could do better. Thanks

The video shows caves that were dug out by hand more then 700 years ago in Arizona.
You need to share the link to the video

I had attached the file, but I guess that wasn't what I was supposed to do. How do I delete this so I can add the link? Sorry, I'm new at this.
Upload to YouTube or similar hosting platform then paste the link to your video on the forum

Nice job. Maybe a little more colour saturation. Perfect music in my opinion. I would have flown up and into a cave entrance for certain! Then you could have commenced the video flying backwards out of the entrance! Would have been fantastic! Cheers ??

Reactions: deputyrick
Maybe a little more colour saturation.
Really nice job. I've seen those dwellings many times in film and video and that was the best look yet.
The desert responds to the season, light and time of day in magic ways. I'm not in favor of artificially changing it. The rather flat lighting enabled a look into the caves that I had never seen before. Music was perfect too. :)

Reactions: deputyrick
Nice first attempt. Here are three simple ideas that I think may improve your video.

1. Add a location shot(s). It’s great to showcase the caves, but part of the caves is the wider location/area where they are situated. In your case, this could include flying low along the road that approaches the caves, a high shot of the surrounding desert and some footage which shows the Verde River (right next to the caves)
2. Shoot in magic/golden hour (dusk/dawn) to improve your colours. If you shoot at midday or on an overcast day, your colours will be washed out and/or very flat.
3. Research. Look at other YouTube videos (and pictures) of the caves to get ideas (of what angles to shoot), before you go.

All good suggestions from Squidinc and TerryToast. For a first editing attempt, this was excellent. I have seen much worse from people who should know better. Yes, loved the music. If you can't get real close to a cave opening, or you're not comfortable flying close, edit your video in HD, then you can zoom in, in editing by resizing the video because you shot in 4K.

Great Video, all good suggestions to improve video.

Here’s background and interior pics for this interested... Mesa Verde ruins right off the highway are also spectacular cliff dwellings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82