DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Friend Found a Mavic Pro Crashed On top of a Building

I cannot remember exactly, but I found one and hooked it up to the DJI software on the pc. I got the log or black box files and saw earlier flights that when plotted on the map looked like a backyard. I went to that house and the mavic owner was very pleased to get it back. I did consider keeping it, but the cost of arm, props, gimbal to replace the broken ones would get me quite a ways toward a new one. He had the DJI care package so it got fixed under that.

I include my name, FAA number, and email for reward, in the battery bay. Me, I would return a found drone that had ID information, and would generously appreciate the same from an honest finder of my flyaway.

I'm trying to help my buddy figure out weather or not he can keep and use this drone.

They got in touch with Police and kept the drone at the office where the construction site is it was found at for 3 weeks. The drone was operated illegally and I'm sure the guy that lost it didn't want to risk a run in with the law to get his drone back.

Anyway, at this point, I'd love to help my friend repair this mavic and have him get a controller and battery for it. Anybody know if there is anything I'll run into in the app or something that will prevent a lost drone from operating properly for a finders keepers type of situation?

Thanks,
Keith

Here's a thought no one has suggested yet: pull the memory card out and have a look at the video/photos. There might be clues of who the owner is in there... often pilots film themselves taking off or landing. If nothing else you'll learn a little more about how the drone was being flown.

It's fairly easy to purchase a new RC and link it to the drone, get spare batteries, and other kit needed to fly. If it doesn't already have an FAA registration number somewhere on it that can be taken care of too. User manuals for DJI drones are all online. So everything needed is available if your friend decides to keep it because the original owner can't be found. But because it's been crashed it's probably not safe to fly without being sent to DJI for inspection/repair first. This is all a fair bit to do that will cost real money and time, and it's worth adding up first so it can be compared against just purchasing a brand new unit w/ DJI Care Refresh. The "find" could always be sold on ebay or craig's list to offset the new unit.

Stuff to think on...

Dave.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato