DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Iphone is Useless in 70 Degrees or Warmer

Which iphone is this? if its an older model, later versions of Fly appear to be consuming more resources and that can lead to problems.. If its an older model, look into upgrading it...
12X Pro max

I have the Galaxy S20 and it works great with the app and has a 1200 nit screen brightness.

12X Pro max
I have the same phone and am using it without issues.. I have noted screen dimming in some cases when I have flown and its been very warm out, but I can still see the screen and have no problems controlling the AC.

There is either an issue with that specific iPhone , or you're flying in very warm conditions without trying to protect the device. However if its as you say, 70 degrees and you experience dimming issues, thats unusual, never seen issues when its been in the 70's and not even in the low 80's , Though I have seen dimming occur close to the 90's or above and usually when I am not in shade, if I move to a spot with some cover, if some is available, it does recover. though I have landed and waited a bit in some cases.

I believe you had noted you had a TripleTek, but you didn't like the weight, you cannot have it both ways, one may work better under certain conditions, but you'll have to deal with the size of the device. Ultimately though, it seems like your particular iPhone is overly sensitive and not sure how Apple might handle that if you tried to either replace or have it repaired.

If you are planning on staying in the phone size and not tablet (like the tripletek), I recently switched over to using our Android work phone for our Air 2S. It's a Samsung S20+ and runs at 847 nits of brightness as apposed to my iPhone XR (used previously) which runs at 589 nits (625 max). We live in Orlando and I shoot a lot on the gulf coast. VERY bright and very hot. Our iPhones and iPads would shut themselves down pretty quickly. Never had an issue with the Samsung.
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has dimmed a couple of times while in direct sunlight on a really hot day. My iPad mini 5 I dont recall seeing it dim and I prefer it to the phone due to the size. I have a new Android phone as well and have seen it dim when being outside for an extended period in the heat. If I can find shade, any shade so it does not have to run at full brightness I have had no issues.
I run the iPad mini five I too like the size of it. the other day we were at 93°F and 72% humidity somewhere in the middle of my second battery my screen went black. in the the four months that I’ve owned the mini 5 That was the only time I ever had that happen. Fortunately I was VLOS and didn’t have to use RTH Until I got a visual which really isn’t any problem I was in direct sunlight and if I had used my sun shadeI doubt I would’ve had that problem

My old phone (Android) all of a sudden went belly-up last Saturday. Just glad I had a recent total backup.

I don't need all the latest hot-shot features and am not one to go to the Verizon store and come home with a >$800 phone and a $50 increase in my monthly bill for years...
So I've decided on a:

Google Pixel 3XL--
  • Snapdragon 845 SOC 64 bit architecture
  • 4GB Ram
  • Android 11
  • All the latest wifi, bluetooth, and USB specs
  • Satellite support for Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, GPS, QZSS, SBAS
  • From researching, it has a 'killer camera'
  • 'Pure' Android experience, no manufacturer added-on app crap
  • By now, accessories (holsters, etc.) are cheap (on Amazon)
  • ~$200 or less on ebay and amazon
  • etc.
Intro'd in 2018, it may be a little aged, but so is my MPP and i LUV it!
I fly with a pixel 3, works well. You may need a sunshade.

Reactions: umanbean
I fly with a pixel 3, works well. You may need a sunshade.
yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I would rather have the '3' than the 'XL'

I'm not a 'my phone is bigger than your phone' kinda guy, but eyesight is on the wane and the bigger screen might help? Wish I could hold them both in person, but there's likely no retail phone shop that has still has them in stock.

I found this direct comparison chart:

edited: Wait!... does your 3 have an SD card slot? That website says 'no', but I was almost sure I saw somewhere else it did... If not, that might be a deal-beaker for me!

Last edited:
yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I would rather have the '3' than the 'XL'

I'm not a 'my phone is bigger than your phone' kinda guy, but eyesight is on the wane and the bigger screen might help? Wish I could hold them both in person, but there's likely no retail phone shop that has still has them in stock.

I found this direct comparison chart:

edited: Wait!... does your 3 have an SD card slot? That website says 'no', but I was almost sure I saw somewhere else it did... If not, that might be a deal-beaker for me!
No slot

Possible fix/workaround for iPhone “overheating” problem is to put iPhone in “low power mode” + “do not disturb mode”.

Thanks... it's not that I need and SD, 64gb is plenty of on-board, just that it's quicker to pop SD out and put it into a computer for copying lots of large files, or the complete contents for total backup.

Is there a great Android phone that works great and is bright? Totally unfamiliar with the Android Eco sphere..
I prefer Samsung. Great phone, lots of features, super reliable, gets way better receptions than my wife's new latest and greatest iPhone. Also, the Samsung S models all come with AMOLED screens which are better for viewing outdoors. I don't know what screen the iPhone has, but most other phones tend to come with TFT screens (LCD). I've had only Samsung for the last 15 years and don't think I will ever switch to something else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman