DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My latest drone trick - The Einord, with speed ramping

Dangerly

Reactions
An einord is when you record a dronie and then reverse the video in post. Then add some speed ramping to make it more interesting, and voila - an einord with speed ramping. Extra points if:
  1. You can't tell it's being played backwards
  2. You can't tell it's speed ramped.
  3. You pick a flight path that goes near tall object like trees or buildings - threading the needle

Sometimes, though, the pre-programmed dronie Quickshot doesn't ascend fast enough to get out of the way of an obstacle behind it. In these situations, I get a POI lock on the subject, and then just fly the quickshot manually, and do the same post production reverse / speed ramp thing and it comes out good.

I did something similar a few years ago. I was asked by the University of Texas branch campus in Tyler to shoot a shot of a special academic group of students, outside of their new alumni house, waving at the camera. They shot they wanted was a very wide shot of the house and surrounding area up high, then I' d fly in and descend to just a shot of the group waving. It was nearly impossible to do going forward because of wires, trees and light poles. So, I got the shot in reverse, allowing me to avoid obstacles, made sure there were no cars nearby driving around campus, then I reversed it in post and it looked just like I flew "in" because people waving look the same backward or forward! The client was pleased.

Reactions: Dangerly
An einord is when you record a dronie and then reverse the video in post. Then add some speed ramping to make it more interesting, and voila - an einord with speed ramping. Extra points if:
  1. You can't tell it's being played backwards
  2. You can't tell it's speed ramped.
  3. You pick a flight path that goes near tall object like trees or buildings - threading the needle

Sometimes, though, the pre-programmed dronie Quickshot doesn't ascend fast enough to get out of the way of an obstacle behind it. In these situations, I get a POI lock on the subject, and then just fly the quickshot manually, and do the same post production reverse / speed ramp thing and it comes out good.
I always thought speed ramping was a sudden burst of speed, not a gradual one like this. Nice jacuzzi!

I always thought speed ramping was a sudden burst of speed, not a gradual one like this. Nice jacuzzi!
Thanks! There are a number of different typical patterns for speed ramps that make it more noticeable, like you're saying::
1665178730135.png

I tend to used a more subtle custom speed ramp that got up to 2.8x faster:
1665178825710.png:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum