DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, you have just bought a drone with obstacle avoidance. Do you .........

In my opinion, OA on drones is the antithesis of one of the bedrock fundamentals of sound piloting - risk mitigation. It is a known risk, it can (and will) fail under very well documented scenarios and conditions.
I don't disagree, but having a backup safety system isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many commercial aircraft have a stick pusher, for example - even though a prudent and safe pilot should never encounter conditions that would activate it.

Reactions: Torque
Gonna take some flak for this but . . . . ;)

Obstacle Avoidance on consumer drones is a sales gimmick at best, and at worst; a painful lesson for unsuspecting pilots. I have never used OA on any drone I've owned, and have never felt the need to 'test' it out. Why test something that is known to fail? All my drones have had the OA turned OFF on day one.

The irony of OA is that; the very type flying that would prompt someone to use it (OA), is precisely the type environment or flight; most likely to induce the failure. If the OA in 50,000 automobiles can fail, do we really believe a 1,000 dollar drone has a chance?

In my opinion, OA on drones is the antithesis of one of the bedrock fundamentals of sound piloting - risk mitigation. It is a known risk, it can (and will) fail under very well documented scenarios and conditions. If I need to put a camera into those conditions, then I'll find a way to do it without relying a gimmick that has a bad gambling habit piloting my drone. 🤣

Okay, off rant.
Agree with most of what you said although I have found OA to be very helpful in the DJI FPV drones where you are squeezing thru tight spaces or you are moving slowing thru a tunnel and the drone can fine correct your movements. Or, when blazing at high speeds I get the audible alerts that let me know I am eventually going to collide....because, yes I'm trying to get as close as possible and yes I'm trying to intentionally go thru small spaces. Honestly, none of this would be an issue if DJI OA = Skydio OA.

I don't disagree, but having a backup safety system isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many commercial aircraft have a stick pusher, for example - even though a prudent and safe pilot should never encounter conditions that would activate it.
But what if that stick-shaker only worked 80% of the time? Would you fly right down to the minimum speed with confidence in it? While I get what you are saying, OA as it stands now, is still in it's infancy, at least on the drones we're talking about, I feel a backup system should be at least as good as the primary and when it comes to OA, I don't feel that it is.

Agree with most of what you said although I have found OA to be very helpful in the DJI FPV drones where you are squeezing thru tight spaces or you are moving slowing thru a tunnel and the drone can fine correct your movements. Or, when blazing at high speeds I get the audible alerts that let me know I am eventually going to collide....because, yes I'm trying to get as close as possible and yes I'm trying to intentionally go thru small spaces. Honestly, none of this would be an issue if DJI OA = Skydio OA.

But when you are approaching, those tight spaces and the OA is correcting those movements, that translates directly to the image captured and if you're shooting video, those are the very movements that ruin a shot IMO.

One of the biggest reasons I turn OA off is because I either need to be closer to an object than OA will allow, or I need the movement of the drone to be perfect. I first found OA obtrusive when shooting real estate photos and needed to be in tight spaces either under tree canopies or near and between obstacles to get the shot I wanted.

I simply trust my piloting skills over any OA, and like I said, if I can't get the job done flying it myself, there is no OA that can get the shot either because that OA does not take into consideration all of the parameters needed to achieve correct placement or camera movement. In fact it is still trying to work out how not to hit things it can't see.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Gonna take some flak for this but . . . . ;)

"Everything you wrote...

Okay, off rant.
I say, Rant away, you brought up some very valid points and too often a "feature" is thought too highly of, especially when the manufacturer distributes some really nice videos of it in action and the feature soon takes on the mantra of "infallible…"

It's like the TikTok Videos of folks doing dangerous stunts and they preface the video with "Don't try this at Home…"

DJI puts lots of warnings in the Unser Manuals (which they do not include with the drones…) that tell the pilot when the OA will probably not work; but so many of the members (as proven in the postings above…) that "they are trying this at home…"

I don't test my car's air bags. Right? It's a safety feature ONLY to be used in the event of an emergency and would potentially cause other issues to do so. lol.

Personally, I try to avoid any obstacles with my drone and think of OA as an emergency feature that automatically engages itself in the event that I make the idiotic decision to paint myself into a corner somewhere.

I say, Rant away, you brought up some very valid points and too often a "feature" is thought too highly of, especially when the manufacturer distributes some really nice videos of it in action and the feature soon takes on the mantra of "infallible…"

It's like the TikTok Videos of folks doing dangerous stunts and they preface the video with "Don't try this at Home…"

DJI puts lots of warnings in the Unser Manuals (which they do not include with the drones…) that tell the pilot when the OA will probably not work; but so many of the members (as proven in the postings above…) that "they are trying this at home…"
True, that DJI doesn't include a printed manual with their drones. However, they do give you everything necessary to find it online.

I'm Canada, it's illegal to fly under Basic or Advanced rules (roughly analogous to US Part 107) without a copy of the manual immediately available. A pilot must have the aircraft manual or they face a severe fine.

• Wow
I'm Canada, it's illegal to fly under Basic or Advanced rules (roughly analogous to US Part 107) without a copy of the manual immediately available
Two years ago, when I bought my Mini 2, I read every little handout that was included. I even called DJI Support and was told everything I needed was included with the Drone and no mention was made of the DJI Products Web Site… Perhaps, now they do include that information…

But in the off chance they do not, I include the link to the User Manuals and all other downloads for every new member who logs into the web site in the Pilot Check In Sub Forum and if they do not mention what their drone is I ask with the hint that great links are possibly in store for them. Check out my posting to the Pilot Check In…

Here in the US, I have never been asked for more than my license, TRUST Certificate and later the Part 107 License… It sounds really strict there, I would not have thought it…

Two years ago, when I bought my Mini 2, I read every little handout that was included. I even called DJI Support and was told everything I needed was included with the Drone and no mention was made of the DJI Products Web Site… Perhaps, now they do include that information…

But in the off chance they do not, I include the link to the User Manuals and all other downloads for every new member who logs into the web site in the Pilot Check In Sub Forum and if they do not mention what their drone is I ask with the hint that great links are possibly in store for them. Check out my posting to the Pilot Check In…

Here in the US, I have never been asked for more than my license, TRUST Certificate and later the Part 107 License… It sounds really strict there, I would not have thought it…
I don't know that it's strict per se. I mean, the under 250g category is practically a free for all. Only one rule applies, and that's 900.06:

900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

So, technically, flying over 400' agl or above people can be fine with a sub 250g drone, assuming no one in an authority role (police usually) thinks you are flying recklessly or negligently as to endanger etc.

We also don't differentiate between commercial or recreational flying. Knstead, drones 250g-25kg fall into either Basic or Advanced operations. But there are plenty of rules for both and on an Advanced flight review you need to know them well.

I have over 300 hours in three dji drones and have NEVER used it, too many stories of it not working at a bad time!!
I completely ignore the blips and noise as well as the onscreen display and simply rely on my own eyesight 360 degrees from the drone point of view.

Follow me mode is basically the fastest way to crash your drone.

I can think of two reasons:

1. You're giving control of your drone over to sensors that have been proven to fail.
  2. In "Follow Me" mode, most likely you (the PIC), are engaged in an activity, be it biking, running. driving or whatever - that requires YOUR attention to navigate yourself.
Thus; precisely at the time you as the PIC, should be monitoring the autonomous flight of your aircraft, you're engaging in an activity that reduces the attention you can afford to monitor the progress of the autonomous flight. Both of these reasons compound each other.

And yeah, the 'what ifs' can come and I will say the same. Like 'what if you have a dedicated/experienced pilot to monitor the automation while you ride your bike through the woods?'

You're still relying on split second recognition of the failure of one or more of the sensors to pick up the tiniest little branch or twig by your pilot, starring at a 6 inch monitor. I mean if you're watching a screen of a drone flying through the woods, dodging most of the little branches - how hard is it to see the one in-a-million little twigs, it won't dodge? 🤣 Spoiler Alert: Nigh impossible!

This will hold true in all but a few scenarios where one is using Follow Me mode. Even in wide open spaces where the drone doesn't have to dodge things - you're still relying on sensors and automation that is not "thinking" even though these days lots of folks like to dream these cheap drones are.

Last edited:

1. You're giving control of your drone over to sensors that have been proven to fail.
  2. In "Follow Me" mode, most likely you (the PIC), are engaged in an activity, be it biking, running. driving or whatever - that requires YOUR attention to navigate yourself.
Thus; precisely at the time you as the PIC, should be monitoring the autonomous flight of your aircraft, you're engaging in an activity that reduces the attention you can afford to monitor the progress of the autonomous flight. Both of these reasons compound each other.

And yeah, the 'what ifs' can come and I will say the same. Like 'what if you have a dedicated/experienced pilot to monitor the automation while you ride your bike through the woods?'

You're still relying on split second recognition of the failure of one or more of the sensors to pick up the tiniest little branch or twig by your pilot, starring at a 6 inch monitor. I mean if you're watching a screen of a drone flying through the woods, dodging most of the little branches - how hard is it to see the one in-a-million little twigs, it won't dodge? 🤣 Spoiler Alert: Nigh impossible!

This will hold true in all but a few scenarios where one is using Follow Me mode. Even in wide open spaces where the drone doesn't have to dodge things - you're still relying on sensors and automation that is not "thinking" even though these days lots of folks like to dream these cheap drones are.
Well, that makes senses all over, Ty! I never thought about OA that way. Thanks for explaining it so clearly! 👍

In Canada it's actually forbidden to do this with a drone 250g-25kg. See CARS 901.37 :
Prohibition — Operation of Moving Vehicles, Vessels and Manned Aircraft
901.37 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft while operating a moving vehicle, vessel or manned aircraft.

Best would be to have a dedicated/experienced pilot operate the drone, while you ride your bike.

There is a similar prohibition for visual observers. One person operates the moving vehicle, vessel or manned aircraft, while the other person (even if riding in the vehicle) operates the drone. You cannot have one person operating the vehicle and drone at the same time.

CARS 901.20 (4)
Visual Observers
901.20 (4) No visual observer shall perform visual observer duties while operating a moving vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

Technically this applies only to 250g-25kg "Small RPAS". If you're riding your bicycle, with your drone chasing you in autonomous follow-me-mode, and it hits a bystander, that would be an obvious contravention of 901.37.

These rules don't apply to sub-250g Minis, but injuring a bystander with your drone while riding your bicycle might be considered reckless or negligent operation contrary to CARS 900.06, which applies to ALL drones including sub-250g.
Reckless or Negligent Operation
900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

A few ways of looking at it. My first 2 'copters were a P1 and a P3. Neither had OA, but I never hit anything because I was always careful. Now I have a Mavic Air 2. I've tested the OA a few times very slowly, and it has kicked in a couple times when I was getting a little close to something; but I'm still always using my eyes and my cell phone screen to see if I'm about to collide. I look at it like the little beeper on my car when I'm backing up. I know I'm close, but the beeps can be helpful.

Reactions: Drg and LoudThunder
Personally I'm more slow and methodical about it, progressively testing it in more difficult situations as I gain confidence in the OA system. But I still try to test in a scenario where a failure is not likely to do damage to the aircraft or anything else.

Recently, I found the limits of the Mini 4 Pro. I was testing the active track 360 in a lightly wooded area - just tracking myself walking. It actually did really well until it encountered some thin tree branches with no leaves on them, and the OA couldn't see them.

It actually just kissed the branches from underneath. It didn't crash, and didn't even damage the props. I took manual control back immediately and lowered the altitude to get away from them.

embed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_