DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solution: flying from a boat

fieldbio

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I regularly fly from boats for work. Landing on a deck in those conditions is very difficult (I've even crashed an old Phantom 3 while trying to land on a helicopter pad) and so hand-catching is essential. I have seen the catch handles but I haven't been particularly impressed because: 1) they don't seem particularly sturdy, 2) they make landing on ground impossible, 3) they increase the weight above the 250g limit, and 4) they probably affect performance and battery life. Landing on an outstretched hand is also difficult when the boat rocks and although the propellers don't appear to cause much damage, we generally work in remote conditions where any injury is bad, and so I don't love the idea of someone sticking their fingers upwards to catch the drone. Here is an ugly but workable solution:

unnamed.jpg

Pipe cleaners wrapped all the way around the body towards the aft part, and sticking down to form a handle (note the drone is upside-down in the photo). I was going to use a stiffer wire, but I had the pipe-cleaners handy, and they work well. The connection to the drone is solid, they don't add much weight, they can be tucked away when not used without having to remove them, and even when down, the drone can land normally and just pushes them out of the way. You can keep the handle small enough that it has no chance of getting fouled in the props and it still provides a little grip to hold on to. The only downside that I've seen is that while holding the handle it is difficult to turn off the props, if the downward vision sensors are enabled - for boat launches it is probably best to disable the downward sensors with tape anyways. Here are some tips for how I launch and land from a boat (that apply to drones in general) in case this is helpful for anyone:

Launch:
1) Have a second person hold the drone above their head at the front or back of the boat, with the drone facing outwards. Above the head is critical so that the drone doesn't drift back into their face.
2) Let the drone pull out of their hands and immediately go up and forwards as fast as you can, to avoid boat drift or hitting any of the antennas, towers, etc.

Recovery:
1) Fly the drone in close, staying above the tallest parts of the boat, to avoid antennas, towers, masts. Give yourself plenty of battery life to do this (even 10 minutes). Edit: update the home point now.
2) Turn the drone so that the front is facing away from you and stop looking at the screen. Now your controller movements mimic the drone's movements (i.e. right is right, left is left, forwards is forward, backward is backward).
3) Have your second person stand at a high point that is clear from obstructions with their hands over their heads. Now you can steer the drone in slowly, keeping it above their heads. They have to be ready to duck if the boat bobs up at a bad time. Keeping the drone above their head allows them to be out of the way of the props in case of a sudden shift in the boat.

Finally, disabling Smart RTH, setting it to hover if the signal is lost, and constantly updating the home point are important. I like having a drone spotter to keep VLOS if I'm watching the screen.

In general, I'm a big fan of PPE: gloves, mesh visor, ear coverings. For big drones this is essential, but even with a small, plastic-propped drone the props can do some major damage to eyes ears and noses - and so I like to have the second person wearing a visor a hat and gloves.

We've used similar protocols for large heavy drones with carbon fiber props and phantoms and I've only lost one drone to the water (a P4, when I wasn't following this protocol). Hopefully this janky-looking handle works well and this protocol is useful for someone out there.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of cheap and simple.👍😀

Are the pipe cleaners stiff enough to let you flip the drone over so that the motors automatically shut down? That's usually the quickest, simplest way to shut a small drone down.

I like the DYI projects people come up with.

I use pipe cleaners as twisty ties for wires, bags, etc.

Neve thought about "landing" gear.

If anything, you can catch the  tiger drone by the tail and kill the motors while having a hold of the lifeline.

Yup, that's my goal: have something to hang on to for dear life :)

Reactions: MA2 317
I'm a fan of cheap and simple.👍😀

Are the pipe cleaners stiff enough to let you flip the drone over so that the motors automatically shut down? That's usually the quickest, simplest way to shut a small drone down.
Unfortunately, no. That is the downside. A stiffer wire would probably let you do that, though. But disabling the vision sensors makes turning off the drone much easier with the controller.

Unfortunately, no. That is the downside. A stiffer wire would probably let you do that, though. But disabling the vision sensors makes turning off the drone much easier with the controller.
Can you disable the vision sensors on the mini3pro!? There may be a new trick for me to learn here, as I usually hand launch/catch. I usually fly with obstacle avoidance off, but that doesn't switch off the downward landing sensors.

Can you disable the vision sensors on the mini3pro!? There may be a new trick for me to learn here, as I usually hand launch/catch. I usually fly with obstacle avoidance off, but that doesn't switch off the downward landing sensors.
Not in the app, but electrical tape over the sensor seems to do the trick.

Reactions: scro
Hi everyone,

I regularly fly from boats for work. Landing on a deck in those conditions is very difficult (I've even crashed an old Phantom 3 while trying to land on a helicopter pad) and so hand-catching is essential. I have seen the catch handles but I haven't been particularly impressed because: 1) they don't seem particularly sturdy, 2) they make landing on ground impossible, 3) they increase the weight above the 250g limit, and 4) they probably affect performance and battery life. Landing on an outstretched hand is also difficult when the boat rocks and although the propellers don't appear to cause much damage, we generally work in remote conditions where any injury is bad, and so I don't love the idea of someone sticking their fingers upwards to catch the drone. Here is an ugly but workable solution:

View attachment 163669

Pipe cleaners wrapped all the way around the body towards the aft part, and sticking down to form a handle (note the drone is upside-down in the photo). I was going to use a stiffer wire, but I had the pipe-cleaners handy, and they work well. The connection to the drone is solid, they don't add much weight, they can be tucked away when not used without having to remove them, and even when down, the drone can land normally and just pushes them out of the way. You can keep the handle small enough that it has no chance of getting fouled in the props and it still provides a little grip to hold on to. The only downside that I've seen is that while holding the handle it is difficult to turn off the props, if the downward vision sensors are enabled - for boat launches it is probably best to disable the downward sensors with tape anyways. Here are some tips for how I launch and land from a boat (that apply to drones in general) in case this is helpful for anyone:

Launch:
1) Have a second person hold the drone above their head at the front or back of the boat, with the drone facing outwards. Above the head is critical so that the drone doesn't drift back into their face.
2) Let the drone pull out of their hands and immediately go up and forwards as fast as you can, to avoid boat drift or hitting any of the antennas, towers, etc.

Recovery:
1) Fly the drone in close, staying above the tallest parts of the boat, to avoid antennas, towers, masts. Give yourself plenty of battery life to do this (even 10 minutes).
2) Turn the drone so that the front is facing away from you and stop looking at the screen. Now your controller movements mimic the drone's movements (i.e. right is right, left is left, forwards is forward, backward is backward).
3) Have your second person stand at a high point that is clear from obstructions with their hands over their heads. Now you can steer the drone in slowly, keeping it above their heads. They have to be ready to duck if the boat bobs up at a bad time. Keeping the drone above their head allows them to be out of the way of the props in case of a sudden shift in the boat.

Finally, disabling Smart RTH, setting it to hover if the signal is lost, and constantly updating the home point are important. I like having a drone spotter to keep VLOS if I'm watching the screen.

In general, I'm a big fan of PPE: gloves, mesh visor, ear coverings. For big drones this is essential, but even with a small, plastic-propped drone the props can do some major damage to eyes ears and noses - and so I like to have the second person wearing a visor a hat and gloves.

We've used similar protocols for large heavy drones with carbon fiber props and phantoms and I've only lost one drone to the water (a P4, when I wasn't following this protocol). Hopefully this janky-looking handle works well and this protocol is useful for someone out there.
Briilliant and timely suggestions. Thank you

Reactions: KurtpH
A stiffer wire would probably let you do that
And because of the added steel , would that provide an issue with the compass?
Did you notice any interference with the one you used.

And because of the added steel , would that provide an issue with the compass?
Did you notice any interference with the one you used.
Great question. I haven't noticed any issues, but of course that could be different depending on the materials used. In general, I can't remember having compass issues even when flying off of big metal boats (I usually calibrate beforehand on land). With the earlier Phantoms I would occasionally get an IMU calibration warning if the boat was pitching too much at startup, but I haven't seen that for a while.

setting it to hover if the signal is lost
Why?
That would mean the boat has to go to the drone if signal is lost unless you are going to wait for low battery RTH tossed it to the last home point before disconnection.

Another great question. I fly over marine animals (with research permits, of course). So I follow the animal on the screen, have a VLOS spotter watching the drone, and have the boat captain (on small boats, at least), move towards the animals (maintaining the appropriate distance, of course). This keeps me from getting too far from the drone, but we can get very far from the home point. If the Smart RTH is enabled, it doesn't take very long for the drone to turn around and go find it's home point which may be several km away. On the other hand, if the small boat (or especially on larger ships) isn't following the target but the drone is, it is possible to lose the signal and then the drone will RTH to a random spot in the ocean where the boat may or may-not be. If it is set to hover, you can always send the boat out to go find the drone. Now - I've only had this happen with the much earlier generations of Phantoms and I'd imagine the range on the newer drones is much much better - but I don't think it's worth finding out. If you're in flat water and not drifting or moving, RTH on a boat might work ok - but you should probably be prepared that the drone may try to land in the water.

Why?
That would mean the boat has to go to the drone if signal is lost unless you are going to wait for low battery RTH tossed it to the last home point before disconnection.
Your point is a good one: I usually can tell the boat skipper to move towards the drone. If you don't have that capability RTH might at least get the drone back in the appropriate range (or it might not depending how far you've gone). I've only flown off of big ships a handful of times and I don't like it at all - I'd prefer a boat where you have some control on how to launch, land, and find the drone.

The only bit of what you wrote that I was questioning was the 'setting the failsafe option to hover' bit and that is because it can lead to a low battery RTH.
The frequent resetting of the home point is a must but that should also mean that the last set home point is not too distant. I'd be inclined to agree with disabling smart RTH.
Are you using a Mavic 3?

I don't use a grab handle but you gave a good explanation of how to land on a boat. I've found landing in reverse gives good enough control to hand catch. I also use the Phantomrain Rescue Jacket on my Air 2 in case water landing is necessary, just go pick it up. Set to hover it should auto land at that spot anyway on low battery. This is another time that Litchi comes in handy since the drone lat/longs can be displayed. Use screen record to keep a record of last location if connection lost. Don't know if Litchi available for mini 3 though.
Good post, have fun

Set to hover it should auto land at that spot anyway on low battery.
Test it yourself over dry land, I am pretty certain you will find it will RTH when the system think there is only enough charge left to get the drone home safely.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 163669

Launch:

Recovery:
1) Fly the drone in close, staying above the tallest parts of the boat, to avoid antennas, towers, masts. Give yourself plenty of battery life to do this (even 10 minutes).

It sounds like you've had some real world experience that's well worth knowing more about. I want to be sure I'm understanding your landing method. Is this on target?

As the drone descends, your gloved and visored helper extends their hand above their head and catches the pipe cleaners extending down from the belly of the drone. I'm guessing that they pull the drone downward and the drone attempts to climb to and you are simultaneously holding the left stick back to shut off the motors. The helper hangs on until the props stop and then gets a better grip on the drone as it droops and tries to bend the pipe cleaners.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmsAir
Test it yourself over dry land, I am pretty certain you will find it will RTH when the system think there is only enough charge left to get the drone home safely.
I had to use 'should' cuz I haven't had it happen yet. Worth a trial (and error?) soon. Anyways, updating home-point often and a Rescue Jacket pretty much guarantees a happy ending.

I had to use 'should' cuz I haven't had it happen yet. Worth a trial (and error?) soon. Anyways, updating home-point often and a Rescue Jacket pretty much guarantees a happy ending.
Switch the drone on first and let it boot completely then switch the controller on and time how long it takes to connect to the drone.
When the battery is getting low bring the drone down lowish and far enough away so that the RTH climb and flight home will take sightly longer than the connection time.
Switch the controller off and wait, once the drone starts to climb switch the controller back on.
With my Mavic Mini the hover height was about 10 ft , the RTH height was probably 75ish ft and the distance was around 150ft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie