DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with kids?

Tell them the drone belongs to your employer and only you are allowed to fly it. They are allowed to watch...from a distance...if they wish. Company rules, sorry.

Reminds me of a movie.

“If you fly it Ray, they will come.”

Do you have a corn field Ed ?
Ma vic South- Good day to you. Nope, no corn field, but kids will come to see a drone if they hear it or see it in flight. And that movie you reference- one of my favorites. I was a baseball coach for a while, and at a state championship series- which we won, by the way- I took my team to see Field of Dreams. My kids loved the movie and I did too.
Thank you for taking me back to a very good time.
you all be safe and keep well- Ed

I don't mind letting them watch and even look at the screen to see what the drone is seeing. But, it is never a good idea to let one of them fly it (IMHO)

To fly my drone you first have to learn some basics of flight.. Weight, Lift, Trust, Drag, and how they work. Great teaching tool if you are interested in that sort of thing.
I love to teach people to fly drones! I got almost all the way through getting my LSA Instructor rating, when I ran out of money.

I have one drone student now who took his second lesson on Saturday. He's a natural.

As long as they're flying under my direct supervision, I don't worry about teaching them a lot of theory first. I do ask if they have their TRUST certificate.

With the Mini-2, the first thing I do is show them that it will just hover and wait for commands, if you just let go of both of the sticks. And I tell them that if anything happens that they don't like while flying, just let go of the sticks, and all will be well.

Reactions: MS Coast
My background worked in tv/film with kids. big money short amount of time. Wrangling skills get developed

Play the good guy bad guy. Hey guys, I'd love to let you guys fly this, but you need a license and this isn't my drone. It's my bosses drone and you have to pay a $3000 a year insurance to fly it. I can answer any questions you have though. You can get sued and go to jail if you don't have a license or if something goes wrong. You have to be 17 to fly this specific drone.

Then, socialize with them. How do you guys know each other? From School what school? Who lives around here? Who are your parents? What do they do? (This gives you insight as to the parents are and where they live. (Just in case the kids do egg your house.) What sports do you guys play? Are you guys out of school at x time? (So you know you can fly when they are at school lol) Also, helps with your drone business if the kids go around telling parents about this cool neighbor who flies drones.

Chatting with kids makes them all jockey for your attention. So let them know that you can't just look at them while talking because you have to keep your eyes on the drone. Tell them you have a job to do look at gutters or something boring) and need to do it, BUT while making small talk with them. Do this if you get the feeling they won't be leaving soon.

Big suggestion, make eye contact with ALL the kids in the group especially when you are talking to them. Make an effort to talk or get to know each kids name. Especially the quite kids or the kids who get talked over by bigger kids. Each kid feels special for getting to talk to the cool drone guy and he is interested in me.

Be selective when they all talk at the same time. Like "hold up let me hear what sports that kid said he plays, whats your name kid? David? Cool David, I'm Angry Warrior, my bad I couldn't hear you what were you saying?" If you watched Cesar Milan or South Park then you know this makes you Pack LLLeader. lol. They'll know they can't all talk at the same time, which helps with crowd control.

This helps later because now when you tell them to hold on I want to hear what this one kid is saying. They know if they listen to you, they will be rewarded with attention. If you need to say hey "I need some silence here while I am checking this gutter". They'll all check themselves (this takes some wrangling, but this is when socializing with them helps. ) Also, they have 30-second attention spans so you're silence won't last long.

When it comes to letting anybody fly my drone. I tell them what the joysticks do. Then I let them take off to eye level and then tell them to practice 4 ft squares, circles and triangles all at eye level. Once they have that down. Then they can use the other joystick to make vertical circles, squares and triangles. Also, tell them to not go past certain points on the ground i.e. past that flower and anybody watching can't get this close to the drone. (If even one adult isn't listening, stop flying.) My bad guys I think I am saying these rules wrong because one or two aren't hearing me. Ill just put it away we'll bring it out another day. etc.

If one kid ruins it all, ask him his name and out him. Mikey ruined it for everybody, he didn't listen to my safety rules, and he isn't making squares. No one gets to play with it. When they all scream and yell. Hey guys I'd love to let you play with it, but Mikey messed it up for you guys. This has a camera and is recording sound. My boss can see everything we're doing right now. etc.

In the future out the kid who messed it up and say my boss was watching everything and said I can't let anyone fly the drone, but again change the subject and ask them questions about themselves. They'll be bummed, but everyone loves when someone shows interest in themselves.

Reactions: Robert Prior
My background worked in tv/film with kids. big money short amount of time. Wrangling skills get developed. Also, worked in management for many years.

Play the good guy/bad guy. Hey guys, I'd love to let you guys fly this, but you need a license and this isn't my drone. It's my boss's drone and he paid $3000 a year for insurance for me to fly it. I can answer any questions you have though. You can get sued and go to jail if you don't have a license or if something goes wrong. You have to be 17+ to fly this specific drone etc. If they're young they might buy the bs.

Then, socialize with them. How do you guys know each other? From School - what school? Who lives around here? Who are your parents? What do they do? (This gives you insight as to who the parents are and where they live. (Just in case the kids do egg your house.) What sports do you guys play? Are you guys out of school at x time? (So you know you can fly when they are at school lol) Also, helps with your drone business if the kids go around telling parents about this cool neighbor who flies drones.

Chatting with kids makes them all jockey for your attention. So let them know that you can't just look at them while talking because you have to keep your eyes on the drone. Tell them you have a job to do look at gutters or something boring) and need to do it, BUT while making small talk with them. Do this if you get the feeling they won't be leaving soon.

Big suggestion, make eye contact with ALL the kids in the group especially when you are talking to them. Make an effort to say or get to know each kid's name. Especially the quiet kids or the kids who get talked over by bigger kids. Each kid feels special for getting to talk to the cool drone guy and he is interested in me.

Be selective when they all talk at the same time. Like "hold up let me hear what sports that kid said he plays, what's your name kid? David? Cool David, I'm Angry Warrior, my bad I couldn't hear you what were you saying?" —— If you watched Cesar Milan or South Park then you know this makes you Pack LLLeader. lol. They'll know they can't all talk at the same time, which helps with crowd control.

This helps later because now when you tell them to hold on I want to hear what this one kid is saying. They know if they listen to you, they will be rewarded with attention. If you need to say hey "I need some silence here while I am checking this gutter". They'll all check themselves (this takes some wrangling, but this is when socializing with them helps. ) Also, they have 30-second attention spans so you're silence won't last long. If you need to actually work.

I only let trusted friends fly my drone, but I tell them what the joysticks do. Then I let them take off only to eye level and then tell them to practice 4 ft squares, circles and triangles all at eye level. Once they have that down. Then they can use the other joystick to make vertical circles, squares, and triangles. Also, tell nearby people NOT to go past certain points on the ground i.e. past that flower and anybody watching can't get this close to the drone. (If even one adult isn't listening, stop flying.) “My bad guys I think I am saying these rules wrong because one or two aren't hearing me. I'll just put it away we'll bring it out another day." etc. Then if people are bummed point out the dudes who messed it up for everybody, but add "I may have said it wrong, but I’m too tired to try and find the right words." This works more for outings with friends.

If one kid ruins it all, ask him his name and out him. Mikey ruined it for everybody, he didn't listen to my safety rules, and he isn't making squares. No one gets to play with it. When they all scream and yell. Hey guys I'd love to let you play with it, but Mikey messed it up for you guys. This has a camera and is recording sound. My boss can see everything we're doing right now. etc.

In the future, out the kid who messed it up and say my boss was watching everything, you did when tried to fly into that other kid. And he said I can't let anyone fly the drone now and I got in trouble. Then quickly change the subject and ask them questions about them. They'll be bummed, but you chatting with them will lessen the blow even if you chat with them briefly.

If any of the above helps and you have more questions drop me a line. Friends and mentors use to help me with situations like this all the time.

Eh
I don't let ANYONE touch my drone
Even if they are experienced
I just don't trust anyone

Yes I do fly over kids
Because I am also a kid
And I need to make friends some way

Reactions: NicknMorty
When someone I like to hang out with but do not really trust flying my drone: I make it go up high, set the RTH, and let them hold the remote and look around as the drone is flying itself - and I’m right next to them. Otherwise, explain to them that you are licensed (I would assume) and tell them that none day they can get their own license and drone and start flying.
Happy flying!

I like to show and teach kids about drones. The innocent excitement can be infectious.

I try to remember to bring the Mini 2 prop cage when I head out, and have only forgotten it once. When I head out, always have the Mini 2, A2S, and FPV with me. usually fly the FPV, occasionally the A2S rarely the Mini 2.

However, 3 times I've been in the mood, and there have been more than one gradeschooler hanging about, so I've pulled out the Mini 2, snapped on the prop cage, and had a delightful, safe, anxiety-free instructional session, letting them fly it, with height and range locked down.

Reactions: Beet
Interesting reads... If not wanting them to fly it, just say so.
Flying it, it's a GPS Drone... it's the easiest thing to fly.
I fly mine in driveway at times, they'll come by on a walk or ride with Parents, and I'll even offer to let them try it. Controlling who holds is a lesson learned in patience too... one gets a few minutes, then passed to next. I'm holding hands near them and don't allow it to even get into a touchy situation... reinforced by parents comments.

Situation is in your control, You're the Adult; if they don't want to behave correctly they choose to loose ability to fly... they'll misbehave and motivated by Peers if allowed... you control that too. Appling in a small group encourages better social behavior. Select 1, have the others back away... coach one... then trade. Similar manor they're taught in school for various labs or on-hands projects.

I started on cox string flyers, later RC Heli's... both took way more skill than taking off a GPS drone... and both learned prior to 12 yrs old. It's not outside their abilities, it's a learning experience to emphasize a hobby vs a toy... you might just encourage a few to get into the hobby.

I normally have my goggles in my pack. If kids are around I will let them see what the drone sees with those. But I never let them touch the drones controls. If someone is going to crash my M2P it will be me. Lol

I live in a Townhouse community in upstate NY. There are more kids than I'd like, but they've been well behaved up until this past week. I've been flying my drone around and tried to keep it above 120m hoping they wouldn't notice it up in the air. They did...

You'd think they were Billy Bob Thornton and I was the fugitive. They were going door-to-door trying to find the person flying it. I thought I was safe in the back yard until I heard them yell "Check in back!" and I was found.

The chorus of pleas begging to let them fly was constant. I had HUGE reservations, but figured what could go wrong with me standing there. My intuition was correct. Before I could explain the remote the kid fully throttled straight up into the sky, then almost crashed into the back of my home. Luckily I had the sensors on. I asked them to keep it lower than the roof of my home. The kid then looked at his friend 10yds away with his back turned, looked at me, and said "Watch this". Having been a little boy I knew he was about to run my $1400 drone directly into his friend. Not knowing those plastic blades will do plenty of damage. I yanked the controller out of his hands and told him he could have seriously hurt his friend. He just laughed.

I told them they were done for the day. The other kids threw a fit they didn't get a chance, but I lied and said the batteries were dying. Now I see those kids outside staring at the sky waiting for my drone to reappear so they can beg again. I feel like I can't fly my own drone in my own yard any more avoiding these kids.

My long story short, how would you deal with these kids? I should have said NO right of the bat and told them to get lost, but I'm too nice. What can I say that won't get my house egged, while still getting rid of these tiny terrors? I've thought about buying them cheap $20 drones to leave me be. I just know they'll break those in days and be right back in my yard. I appreciate your sage wisdom in advance.

Long story so
Start a drone flying school and charge the parents of the kids to learn ow to fly. The parents will either tell their kids to stay away from you or they will pay to have their kids learn. Either way you win

Step 1: Open the door of the basement
Step 2: Tell the kids there is a special drone for them in the basement
Step 3: Wait untill they are all in
Step 4: Close the door and put a lock on it
Step 5: Take your drone and enjoy the flight

• Haha
Reactions: okw
Step 1: Open the door of the basement
Step 2: Tell the kids there is a special drone for them in the basement
Step 3: Wait untill they are all in
Step 4: Close the door and put a lock on it
Step 5: Take your drone and enjoy the flight
Step 0: Ensure Grumble, the child-eating Troll, is down there first.

I live in a Townhouse community in upstate NY. There are more kids than I'd like, but they've been well behaved up until this past week. I've been flying my drone around and tried to keep it above 120m hoping they wouldn't notice it up in the air. They did...

You'd think they were Billy Bob Thornton and I was the fugitive. They were going door-to-door trying to find the person flying it. I thought I was safe in the back yard until I heard them yell "Check in back!" and I was found.

The chorus of pleas begging to let them fly was constant. I had HUGE reservations, but figured what could go wrong with me standing there. My intuition was correct. Before I could explain the remote the kid fully throttled straight up into the sky, then almost crashed into the back of my home. Luckily I had the sensors on. I asked them to keep it lower than the roof of my home. The kid then looked at his friend 10yds away with his back turned, looked at me, and said "Watch this". Having been a little boy I knew he was about to run my $1400 drone directly into his friend. Not knowing those plastic blades will do plenty of damage. I yanked the controller out of his hands and told him he could have seriously hurt his friend. He just laughed.

I told them they were done for the day. The other kids threw a fit they didn't get a chance, but I lied and said the batteries were dying. Now I see those kids outside staring at the sky waiting for my drone to reappear so they can beg again. I feel like I can't fly my own drone in my own yard any more avoiding these kids.

My long story short, how would you deal with these kids? I should have said NO right of the bat and told them to get lost, but I'm too nice. What can I say that won't get my house egged, while still getting rid of these tiny terrors? I've thought about buying them cheap $20 drones to leave me be. I just know they'll break those in days and be right back in my yard. I appreciate your sage wisdom in advance.

Long story so
Tell them anybody can fly any time they wish with a $1600 deposit.

D

This is an old chestnut and no one answer fits all. If you’re nervous about letting others especially youngsters fly your gear then just don’t do it. In the end it’s your aircraft and your responsibility and you’re going to have to learn to say “no” or find another hobby … either that or fly from an enclosed compound with barbed wire perimeter, guard towers with machine guns and an optional mine field.

Personally, I love teaching, I’m the Chief Pilot for my company so training is my job description and decades before I was a drone pilot I was an instructor at the local model aero club and enjoyed it immensely. Seriously, I have taught some kids who developed astounding levels of ability in shockingly short time frames ….. but judgement is another matter. That is far more often tied to age although not exclusively and the disparity manifests at all ages. I can think of 12 year olds who I am happy to let pilot large scale models around all day long with a minimum of oversight and then there are 50 year olds who just the sight of them driving into the complex causes me to put on my hard hat, pack up and go home *before* the accident happens.

My view is that we are all ambassadors for the hobby and the more people responsibility taking part in the hobby the longer it will be here to enjoy. When I am out flying be it commercially or recreationally I always have a DJI Spark in the car. I am often approached by kids of all ages (sometimes the kids in their 7th or 8th decade of life are the most enjoyable) my regular spotters and ground crew all know to allow it under controlled conditions and if the person shows the right attitude and I have time I will often ask “would you like to try?” and when I am finished doing what I am doing I’ll break out the Spark and have at it.

That said, there are obvious restrictions based on common sense.

Firstly I am confident of my ability in the situation. If you’re inexperienced or just plain nervous… then maybe not.

When it comes to kids I want parental permission and I want it face to face.

No more than one student at a time. I don’t want them distracting myself or the student with comments or exhortations to “do this” or “do that”. Everyone else stands at a distance. Trying to teach with a horde of screaming kids in tow is akin to juggling chainsaws.

Environmental suitability. In a wide open field, park or space with few, or better no people around is the go. In busy terrain or highly populated venues you the instructor are too distracted looking for where the next issue is coming from to devote appropriate attention to your student.

Never let anyone fly equipment you can’t afford to lose … that’s why I kept 3 Sparks even when I stopped using them myself.

I’m sure there are other unwritten rules we could all think of.

Again I’ll stress, if you’re uncomfortable then just don’t do it but if you feel it’s within you it can be very rewarding. My wife and I have two natural children and have as foster carers raised four others. Every one of those hold an “excluded class certification for commercial operation”. They may never use it but it’s a little investment in their future and keeping my instructing chops current.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Beet
It's an on-going tragedy that DJI doesn’t support some sort of training mode with two controllers connected by cable.
Agreed, the old “buddy box” system I used down at the model aero club was great.

Reactions: EpicFlight
"Hey mate, nah, sorry, it's just really easy to make a mistake and crash, and that'd be super bad. Here's what the screen looks like though. Cool eh? Now I gotta concentrate on what I'm doing here cause I don't wanna crash either! Good chat!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not hard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun