DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with other peoples pets?

pepper spray

I urge others to reject this idea. Pepper spray is considered a non-lethal weapon in many states in the US, and if you use it, it better be in a clear case of self-defense, otherwise you can be charged with assault and battery.

Sure, carry it for use to defend yourself. Using it on a dog to keep it away from your drone will be you committing a crime, and a serious one.

Hmm. I can't imagine that consciously allowing a dog to gnaw on your drone is part of a good problem solving approach.

It's a great approach if "getting" other people that bother you is more important than flying your drone. A sad, stressful way to live.

I urge others to reject this idea. Pepper spray is considered a non-lethal weapon in many states in the US, and if you use it, it better be in a clear case of self-defense, otherwise you can be charged with assault and battery.

Sure, carry it for use to defend yourself. Using it on a dog to keep it away from your drone will be you committing a crime, and a serious one.
I thought the dog was attacking me

• Angry
Reactions: Torque
Anyone who pepper sprayed my dogs due to their curiosity when they were not showing any aggressive behavior would be laid flat and wondering where their teeth went.
and you would most likely end up in jail for assault.and sprayed yourself.

Reactions: Mike2Fst
Someone here on a similar topic said that they lured and led a dog who was off leash and chasing their drone far away by using the drone while the irresponsible owner stood by and helplessly watched as his dog run off after the drone. That was a bit mean but understandable under the circumstances. Sometimes people need a hands-on lesson!

Edit: I’ll have to add that the poster mentioned that the owner wouldn’t put the dog on a leash or keep it back when asked to…

Last edited:
  • Sad
Someone here on a similar topic said that they lured and led a dog who was off leash and chasing their drone far away by using the drone while the irresponsible owner stood by and helplessly watched as his dog run off. That was a bit mean but understandable and smart under the circumstances.
The owner stood by him and watched helplessly? What an arsewhole to do that to a dog.
There was nothing understandable or smart about that decision. It was malicous and cruel.
If you have enough battery to seperate the dog from its owner, you have enough battery to hover and demand the owner regain control of his/her dog.

Reactions: AMann
To be honest I would never spray a curious dog, I love dogs and most are not mean. But if one was attacking me thats a different story

The owner stood by him and watched helplessly? What an arsewhole to do that to a dog.
There was nothing understandable or smart about that decision. It was malicous and cruel.
If you have enough battery to seperate the dog from its owner, you have enough battery to hover and demand the owner regain control of his/her dog.
I didn’t mention that the owner was first asked to keep the dog leashed or away, but the owner wouldn’t. You are right, it’s not a nice thing to do and a lost dog is a terrible thing to cause.

To be honest I would never spray a curious dog, I love dogs and most are not mean. But if one was attacking me thats a different story
I carry bear spray and a baton just for that, an aggressive dog.
However the advice given here was to spray a dog that approached and distracted you, not a dog that was actively attacking you.

Reactions: AMann
I thought the dog was attacking me

Could you give some more detail? I didn't get that from what you've described so far.

If so, I'd urge you to file a complaint. Remember, doing so isn't about revenge or something, it's about the little kid that may get mauled by that uncontrolled animal in the future.

Someone here on a similar topic said that they lured and led a dog who was off leash and chasing their drone far away by using the drone while the irresponsible owner stood by and helplessly watched as his dog run off after the drone. That was a bit mean but understandable under the circumstances. Sometimes people need a hands-on lesson!

That was a brilliant solution, and IMO nothing mean, antisocial, or inappropriate about it at all.

Rather, it's funny. And effective.

That was a brilliant solution, and IMO nothing mean, antisocial, or inappropriate about it at all.

Rather, it's funny. And effective.
Some people feel keeping a dog chained outside is appropriate. Some think nothing of kicking a dog. Luring a dog away from its owner is unethical and criminal IMO.

Some people feel keeping a dog chained outside is appropriate. Some think nothing of kicking a dog. Luring a dog away from its owner is unethical and criminal IMO.

Do you hold to that ethic when someone is flying a drone, the dog is a distraction interfering with their ability to focus 100% on flying, (and here's the key point) and the owner is unwilling to control their pet when asked to?

I'm a dog owner and love dogs. I've had as many a 4 a part of our family at once. I think there's a special place in hell for people that abuse animals, striking them especially included.

I also recognize that they're animals, and can not be reasoned with. Effective communication is limited, particularly between a stranger and a dog, especially so if the owner is there.

The pilot has a legal obligation to put safety of people, animals, and property first. How is safely having the dog chase a drone cruel, or illegal?

Seems to me it's the dog owner violating the law by refusing to control his dog, interfering with the pilot. The relevant FAR has been cited here many times.

I'm sincerely curious to better understand in detail your reasoning in this example, if you'd be willing to share it.

Last edited:
Do you hold to that ethic when someone is flying a drone, the dog is a distraction interfering with their ability to focus 100% on flying, (and here's the key point) and the owner is unwilling to control their pet when asked to?

I'm a dog owner and love dogs. I've had as many a 4 a part of our family at once. I think there's a special place in hell for people that abuse animals, striking them especially included.

I also recognize that they're animals, and can not be reasoned with. Effective communication is limited, particularly between a stranger and a dog, especially so if the owner is there.

The pilot has a legal obligation to put safety of people, animals, and property first. How is safely having the dog chase a drone cruel, or illegal?

Seems to me it's the dog owner violating the law by refusing to control his dog, interfering with the pilot. The relevant FAR has been cited here many times.

I'm sincerely curious to better understand in detail your reasoning in this example, if you'd be willing to share it.
This is the sentence I'm responding to (that you find to be a great idea):
"Someone here on a similar topic said that they lured and led a dog who was off leash and chasing their drone far away by using the drone while the irresponsible owner stood by and helplessly watched as his dog run off after the drone."

The dog was led far away. What kept the dog from following the drone back? Distance? That means the dog was led beyond VLOS? Will the owner be reunited with the dog? What was the definition of "far away" - will the dog be hit by traffic? Picked up by another person, never to be returned? Will the dog run into an abandoned barn where a school teacher is filming her Fans Only content and invade her privacy? If the owner is in violation of a law, call the police - put him in steel cuffs....
There are many options I can come up with that doesn't involve chasing the dog away from its irresponsible owner.
IMO the drone pilot didn't make a wise decision, he made an emotional decision selfishly fueled by his own frustration with no regard for the dog or its owner nor the possible outcomes from his choice to lead the dog "Far away."

Last edited:
I have sprayed a dog. Sheriff was fine with it, even with me holding my weapon in my lap as the other person had blocked my vehicle. An off leash dog is always in the wrong when it invades your personal space. Even in an off leash area!

Our incident was at a county park with leash law and the dog approached us and our leashed dogs at full speed with the “handler” running far behind and yelling. Unfortunately the law does not allow spraying the handler, although spray does get in the wind. We usually carry gel as it does not blow back as easily.

We have also sprayed a local loose dog and the spray dye finally allowed animal control to cite the homeowner. The dog had actually bitten someone in the past.

While loose dog is not the animals fault, the laws are what they are, so the dog has to pay before their handler.

Reactions: mavic3usa
This is the sentence I'm responding to (that you find to be a great idea):
"Someone here on a similar topic said that they lured and led a dog who was off leash and chasing their drone far away by using the drone while the irresponsible owner stood by and helplessly watched as his dog run off after the drone."

The dog was led far away. What kept the dog from following the drone back? Distance? That means the dog was led beyond VLOS? Will the owner be reunited with the dog? What was the definition of "far away" - will the dog be hit by traffic? Picked up by another person, never to be returned? Will the dog run into an abandoned barn where a school teacher is filming her Fans Only content and invade her privacy?

We don't know the answer to any of those questions. Or these: Did the dog owner threaten the drone pilot with a knife? Was the dog rabid? Was the owner wearing gang colors?

Many things we don't know.

One thing I do know... I was trying to engage in a friendly, serious discussion. As I said at the outset, I was sincerely interested in your thinking. Could change mine.

Looks like that will be another time with someone else. Not a problem. 👍🏻

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1