DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My local news station chopper had a drone encounter

The statement drone can't fly within 5 miles of an airport is not correct, is it? I have airspace within a couple of miles I have been permitted. That's the old rules I do believe.

Reactions: JackL
the drone pilot should not have been that close to the helicopter but why can't they just report the actual incident without embellishing.

Reactions: Thomas B and JackL
IF the drone was really at 800’ and anywhere near an airport (as it appears it was), it’s my opinion that the pilot has created a bad image for the hobby. That is the last thing we need, especially at this particular time.

Reactions: TheRock
Don’t confuse the News with the facts, it spoils their spin. NOT excusing the pilot who needs to be held accountable.

Reactions: Thomas B
True, but they still require permission within certain airspace, so it would depend on the airport's classification.

I agree with what you're saying but details are important. What's that old saying, "The Devil is in the details!"

What one Class C requires may or may not (probably not) equal what another Class C requires. It's literally airport by airport which can be seen/noted by viewing the FAA UAS Facility Map (commonly called the LAANC Grid Map).

For those who aren't familiar look up your local airspace on the above map. Take note that the "altitude" noted in the above grid squares is not the ALLOWED altitude. If it's inside of one of those squares it requires AUTHORIZATION for any flight. The altitude listed is merely the "Altitude you're most likely to get APPROVED via the automated system". It's not a guaranteed approval but if everything is "normal" that altitude (or less) should get automatic approval. It's just a "hint" so that you don't ask for 400' in a 100' location.

For comparison I'm including 2 airports that I fly to/around (manned/drone) fairly often. Both are Class "C" airports but their "Allowable" areas are very different.
Screenshot 2021-02-19 10.53.25.png

Screenshot 2021-02-19 11.16.04.png

I agree with what you're saying but details are important. What's that old saying, "The Devil is in the details!"

What one Class C requires may or may not (probably not) equal what another Class C requires. It's literally airport by airport which can be seen/noted by viewing the FAA UAS Facility Map (commonly called the LAANC Grid Map).

For those who aren't familiar look up your local airspace on the above map. Take note that the "altitude" noted in the above grid squares is not the ALLOWED altitude. If it's inside of one of those squares it requires AUTHORIZATION for any flight. The altitude listed is merely the "Altitude you're most likely to get APPROVED via the automated system". It's not a guaranteed approval but if everything is "normal" that altitude (or less) should get automatic approval. It's just a "hint" so that you don't ask for 400' in a 100' location.

For comparison I'm including 2 airports that I fly to/around (manned/drone) fairly often. Both are Class "C" airports but their "Allowable" areas are very different.
View attachment 124084

View attachment 124088
Were both in agreement, just stating it differently. I stated depends on the classification, and within those are the grids.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah this has been posted before and I still do not believe in their drama reporting.
Or the so call facts they are presenting.

So I have been trying to put the helicopter track on this map and just realized how lucky I am to live where I do! Wow South Florida is a rough place to have a drone!!1sfmap.jpg

So it appears the chopper never actually made it to 800' during the entire flight. View attachment 124018

Thanks for posting the link for that flight. I started looking at the flights made by that aircraft and it is regularly flown below 800 feet. Many times it is at 400 feet or below and at speeds over 100 mph. The flight in question for the news report shows the news chopper at 400 feet when it was hovering at that location.

Hate to say it, but this smacks of sensationalist reporting. With the drone as close as the pilot stated , why did he hang around to shoot video of it? I do not sense a fear of mid air collision and instead a bit of hotdog flying and not risk mitigation on the part of the helicopter pilot.

Two wrongs do not make a right!

I sent the Flightaware link to the Station Manager for Channel 7 news asking for an accounting of the news crew’s statements when the flight data shows them never being at 800 feet during the entire flight and that they in fact went down to 400 feet during the hover portion at the reported incident scene.

Shoddy, sensationalistic reporting of the incident, and the recalling of Gatwick was pure trash journalism.

Thanks for posting the link for that flight. I started looking at the flights made by that aircraft and it is regularly flown below 800 feet. Many times it is at 400 feet or below and at speeds over 100 mph. The flight in question for the news report shows the news chopper at 400 feet when it was hovering at that location.

Hate to say it, but this smacks of sensationalist reporting. With the drone as close as the pilot stated , why did he hang around to shoot video of it? I do not sense a fear of mid air collision and instead a bit of hotdog flying and not risk mitigation on the part of the helicopter pilot.

Two wrongs do not make a right!

I had the same feeling. I'm so glad you took the time to look at the flight data!

Another intent to criminalize drone hobbyist, so regular people start to hate them and report them when the Remote ID begins in 2023 and everybody goes "seek&destroy" on everyone flying a drone.

They are doing the same all over the world, criminilize hobbyst to sell the airspace to Amazon.

We still have the sub 250g drones, but don't think they will last long. As DJI will make sub 250 better and better rules will change and we will be left in the ground, its inevitable.

Wow. What a slowwwwww news day. Lame puff piece.

The author of the news article nor the station manager ever answered my email to them about the actions of the pilot of the news chopper. It did stay grounded for a few days, maybe an NTSB investigation?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji