DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 2 Pro Crashed

A note of thanks to sar104 and others for their knowledge, efforts and time in helping me and others to understand these things better. It is hugely appreciated.

After a somewhat similar experience I now always turn on my controller, put the drone down on it's launch pad, turn on the drone and then wait for a good GPS signal and # of satellites. I then rotate the drone 90° to make sure that is reflected on my display and then 90° back. I also always check UAV Forecast from my takeoff point.

That's good news. Don't forget to pay attention to the issues this raised however, because it did not look like an equipment problem and I suspect that any replacement would behave similarly in that situation.

definitely i'll make sure to worm up the AC and get enough satellite with home point recorded before take off

many thanks for every thing you did , much appreciated.

Reactions: sar104
Always try to fly in open area's , just be aware there's always more risk if you don't...

Reactions: bikoo
After a somewhat similar experience I now always turn on my controller, put the drone down on it's launch pad, turn on the drone and then wait for a good GPS signal and # of satellites. I then rotate the drone 90° to make sure that is reflected on my display and then 90° back. I also always check UAV Forecast from my takeoff point.

And then, I go to sensors and look if there is interference with the compass and IMU, only launching if it is green. Even in yellow, I will move and find another launch location.

I also turn on the props while doing this, warming up the battery before T/O.

And finally, if I have not heard it yet, I will set the home point. One last look on battery voltage, height checked for RTH, SD card re-formated, know where the wind comes from and here we go!

Hello,

yesterday after i take off the aircraft start to go left by it self without touching the remote i tried to control it but it was already hit the wall and crashed after 17 sec only

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

would you please check the log and let me know what could be the reason ?

i already sent to DJI support and still waiting.

Thanks
Were you using the new firmware........?

Last edited:
So hearing these warnings, tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Many times I've taken off from a ravine, gully, big mountains, or a heavy tree canopy (with only an opening straight up) where I cannot get a GPS lock.
In those cases, I fly my Mavic straight up until it gets a GPS lock, then I begin a safe horizontal flight. I'm very aware of windage and have done this dozens of times without problem.

Are you saying that's wrong, and if so, what would the alternative be?

So hearing these warnings, tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Many times I've taken off from a ravine, gully, big mountains, or a heavy tree canopy (with only an opening straight up) where I cannot get a GPS lock.
In those cases, I fly my Mavic straight up until it gets a GPS lock, then I begin a safe horizontal flight. I'm very aware of windage and have done this dozens of times without problem.

I’ve done the same thing dozens of times. But, I do not rely on the drones stabilizing features when I do it. I am basically flying in atti mode until it gets up above the obstructions and gets a GPS lock. I make sure the home point is recorded in a safe clearly visible area before continuing with my flight.

Not wrong but risky just know that if it's windy be ready to do some real flying to control your bird...

Reactions: bikoo
Not wrong but risky just know that if it's windy be ready to do some real flying to control your bird...

Good point. Just not sure how folks learn to do real flying these days with no atti mode selectability. I cut my teeth on RC helicopters with no GPS or stability aides and I’m not sure I could fly in ATTI mode if I had started with one of today’s modern drones without ATTI mode.

Hey maybe my old P 4 is worth something after all.... a training bird for newbies

Reactions: lolo780
Good point. Just not sure how folks learn to do real flying these days with no atti mode selectability. I cut my teeth on RC helicopters with no GPS or stability aides and I’m not sure I could fly in ATTI mode if I had started with one of today’s modern drones without ATTI mode.

Hey maybe my old P 4 is worth something after all.... a training bird for newbies

If you can fly CP helis - particularly in the days when all you had was throttle to tail curves etc and no decent gyros, never mind fbl controllers, then I’m sure you could fly in Atti mode no issues at all! The muscle memory would soon kick in :)

If you can fly CP helis - particularly in the days when all you had was throttle to tail curves etc and no decent gyros, never mind fbl controllers, then I’m sure you could fly in Atti mode no issues at all! The muscle memory would soon kick in :)

Yep, I started flying RC helicopters over a decade ago. Mine had an expensive gyro which worked most of the time but it was 100% manual flying otherwise. First flight lasted 10 seconds before a $400 crash lol.

Here is my stable:

IMG_9564.JPG

Reactions: lolo780
Yep, I started flying RC helicopters over a decade ago. Mine had an expensive gyro which worked most of the time but it was 100% manual flying otherwise. First flight lasted 10 seconds before a $400 crash lol.

Here is my stable:

View attachment 55323
I broke a lot of MS Hornet I and II blades back in the day. Still have it around somewhere...

Reactions: dannybgoode
i sent the drone last week and still waiting to get any update from DJI, they said (due to the merger of Hong Kong Customs and Commodity Inspection, the processing period for the product you sent to the Hong Kong repair center may be extended.)

i just want to know what is my rights, they should send replacement ? and if it will be new or refurbished ?
should ask them for new one ? as my drone is only 7 weeks brand new and my battery is only charged 6 times only.

That's what I use my P3p for... ATTI mode

Reactions: Gringorio
I have a very similar story to TS. I was flying my M2P in a deep canyon (about 80m deep) and GPS was cutting out. The drone was stationary as I was taking photos. I was taking long exposure photos and just happened to look up and saw drone was moving quickly towards the canyon wall perpendicular to the wind from the very large waterfall which was coming directly down the canyon. It was hard to control until I flew it up to better GPS connection. I have had an I1 since they came out, M1 and multiple tiny drones. I can tell you this was not just drifting like the inspire would drift when in ATTI mode. It was fighting me it seemed. It did have a home point on takeoff. When losing GPS it should not just start flying like a bat our of hell.

I have a very similar story to TS. I was flying my M2P in a deep canyon (about 80m deep) and GPS was cutting out. The drone was stationary as I was taking photos. I was taking long exposure photos and just happened to look up and saw drone was moving quickly towards the canyon wall perpendicular to the wind from the very large waterfall which was coming directly down the canyon. It was hard to control until I flew it up to better GPS connection. I have had an I1 since they came out, M1 and multiple tiny drones. I can tell you this was not just drifting like the inspire would drift when in ATTI mode. It was fighting me it seemed. It did have a home point on takeoff. When losing GPS it should not just start flying like a bat our of ****.

What should it do then as it doesn’t know where it is or what direction it is going in. It can’t hover and it can’t RTH. It can’t fight the wind as it does not know what compensation to add because it doesn’t know the direction.

You *have* to fly it and that means taking into account the wind and everything else. It will appear to fight you in Atti mode in wind.

You come up with a solution and you’ll be able to sell it to DJI

What should it do then as it doesn’t know where it is or what direction it is going in. It can’t hover and it can’t RTH. It can’t fight the wind as it does not know what compensation to add because it doesn’t know the direction.

You *have* to fly it and that means taking into account the wind and everything else. It will appear to fight you in Atti mode in wind.

You come up with a solution and you’ll be able to sell it to DJI
If you are going to make a snarky comment on a post then you should read the whole thing. As I said in my post, the drone was flying 90 degrees from the wind direction. Also, like is said, i fly my I1 in ATTI mode all the time so I know what it feels like.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennisau891