DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 3 disappointment

I almost fell into the same trap as you and picked up a Mavic 3. Just dumb luck that I didn't. Hopefully it's water under the bridge now but makes you cautious about buying the next new DJI drone.

I did just get a 3E since they claim it is for mapping and has RTK.

I almost fell into the same trap as you and picked up a Mavic 3. Just dumb luck that I didn't. Hopefully it's water under the bridge now but makes you cautious about buying the next new DJI drone.

I did just get a 3E since they claim it is for mapping and has RTK.
I don't understand how you're lucky since the Mavic 3 now has waypoints.

While I appreciate the addition of waypoints to the M3, I miss the feature of Litchi to set up a mission on my PC and do a dry run in Google Earth Pro.

While I appreciate the addition of waypoints to the M3, I miss the feature of Litchi to set up a mission on my PC and do a dry run in Google Earth Pro.
I have litchi, but I didn't know it could do a dry run of waypoint missions on Google earth pro. Sounds like a good idea. I'm flying missions, and I find out that I have to make changes. So it's time and battery consuming. Let's hope DJI releases the SDK.

Its been activated for about 4 months now.

First let me say that the Mavic 3 is by far my favorite drone to date. It's my first choice from my personal arsenal which includes the Inspire 2 with Z7 lenses. However, when it comes to doing real work, especially anything that requires mapping, I have to leave it at home. Yes, I realize we now have the Mavic 3 Enterprise line, but that doesn't silence the disappointment I have with DJI when it comes to the original Mavic 3's inability to do simple mapping.

Please hear me out before sending replies stating DJI never intended to allow waypoints for the Mavic 3 or anything along those lines. When the Mavic 3 was released I purchased it with the thought that this will eventually replace my Mavic 2, which is what I use for all drone work and perhaps making the M2 a reliable backup to the Mavic 3. Now this part is important, AT THAT TIME, there was no indication, advertisements or announcements from DJI regarding the Mavic 3's inability to perform waypoints. None! Every drone prior to the Mavic 3 with exception to the FPV either have waypoints built in or it is provided by 3rd party software upon SDK release.

The Mavic 3 is now a year old, and yet no Waypoints and no signs of DJI releasing the SDK. To me this is TOTALLY unfair to those that purchased this drone with hopes of it doing any serious drone work. The Mavic 3 is incredible, my drone of choice as I stated above. DJI has gradually upgraded this drone with features beyond our expectation such as cruise control and night mode to name a few. But why omit waypoints? Why leave out that last nugget that would make the Mavic 3 whole?

Is this just another marketing ploy to force the purchase of the M3E? If that's the case who needs both? Who knew there would be an enterprise line at the time of the M3 release except DJI? It really looks bad in hindsight. Reflecting back I'm so happy the Mavic 2 didn't have this same philosophy else I would have never had the desire to pursue my Part 107 and take on drone missions. Discovering the power of waypoints using the Mavic 2 fueled my desire to explore into drones and it even ignited my desire to explore deeper its capabilities with the Inspire 2. Why the gap with the Mavic 3?

I'm still a fan!
It's their business model. They could easily make one Mavic drone. I say they should use the enterprise model as the base because of its hardware expandability. Then all the software that is available for the Mac 3 line, Enterprise line and Pro lines should be combined. Also, The cameras in the entire Mavic 3 series fleet should have the ability to be switched physically and , if needed, software wise.

Sad to say though, they ARE keeping each system separated to force people into buying the specific mavic 3 they need for the specific job they need. I already bought the Mavic 3 standard dual camera, and now have purchased the Enterprise. I don't see anything special about the Pro line, but I see how it would be desired by the videophiles out there. I'm not that much into video, as I am into surveillance and mapping.

It's their business model. They could easily make one Mavic drone. I say they should use the enterprise model as the base because of its hardware expandability. Then all the software that is available for the Mac 3 line, Enterprise line and Pro lines should be combined. Also, The cameras in the entire Mavic 3 series fleet should have the ability to be switched physically and , if needed, software wise.

Sad to say though, they ARE keeping each system separated to force people into buying the specific mavic 3 they need for the specific job they need. I already bought the Mavic 3 standard dual camera, and now have purchased the Enterprise. I don't see anything special about the Pro line, but I see how it would be desired by the videophiles out there. I'm not that much into video, as I am into surveillance and mapping.
Surveillance? Please elaborate.

• Wow
Reactions: GwenHaney
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser