DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 3 disappointment

I believe the SDK for the M3E line has already been released, months ago in fact. Allow me to raise this question, does the M3 process gps data in a manner that's different from the M3E? Obviously, none of us here has the knowledge to answer that question accurately but it does raise another question. Can the M3E's SDK, in part, run on the M3 for waypoint processing? Of course this is all just speculations but if any of the above is true then I would like to know why. Wouldn't you?

Reactions: Mavic 3 by the Sea
I believe the SDK for the M3E line has already been released, months ago in fact. Allow me to raise this question, does the M3 process gps data in a manner that's different from the M3E? Obviously, none of us here has the knowledge to answer that question accurately but it does raise another question. Can the M3E's SDK, in part, run on the M3 for waypoint processing? Of course this is all just speculations but if any of the above is true then I would like to know why. Wouldn't you?
Great question.

Don’t have the Mavic 3.
Stopped at Air2 S.
My take on all this though is Do Not be the first to jump in and buy the latest and “greatest”
I never have, even if I could afford to do that I always hang back and wait to see how things pan out.

Don’t have the Mavic 3.
Stopped at Air2 S.
My take on all this though is Do Not be the first to jump in and buy the latest and “greatest”
I never have, even if I could afford to do that I always hang back and wait to see how things pan out.
Hard to resist a micro 4/3rd flying sensor tho... :)

Don’t have the Mavic 3.
Stopped at Air2 S.
Unfortunately, it's the only way to know what you are getting. The manufacturer will hype and make unrealistic inferences, the youtube reviewing herd will all review the thing in the first two days knowing nothing of the product. Six months down the road or so enough real issues will collect on a forum like this and you can get an idea what the thing really is. A lot of products like that.

I was just about to purchase a clean used M3C for photography, mapping and its built-in RID as a upgrade to my M2P, but dropped everything when I found out about the SDK issue with it (I think that’s why the original owner was selling it also). So now I’m just going to wait it out and continue using the M2P for awhile longer until either RID grounds it, I can find an alternative RID-enabled drone with a good camera and SDK, or until RID units go on sale that fit a M2P well and don’t cost so much.

Don’t have the Mavic 3.
Stopped at Air2 S.
Very good point, I think.

As long as your equipment delivers what you (or your clients) expect, that’s very sensible. And clearly, as this case illustrates, preceding models may counterintuitively come with critical software features that the most recent model(s) do not avail of.

I pretty much keep my ear to the ground for info like this and have not heard anything regarding the SDK. I hope you're right.
I was reading about this on the DJI forum. A guy made a good point. DJI has already written the SDK, because they need it to write their own software, so why don't they release it to everyone else?

On the topic of Mavic 3 disappointments. Before the Mavic 3 came out, DJI touted the fact that it would have cellular connectivity, so you would have unlimited range, with the dongle. But they've never implemented this outside of China. It would be extremely useful to me, maybe doubling the usefulness of the drone. Here where I live, I start losing signal at 1,000 feet sometimes.

I was reading about this on the DJI forum. A guy made a good point. DJI has already written the SDK, because they need it to write their own software, so why don't they release it to everyone else?
The reason seems to be a changed business strategy: making certain software features available only to buyers of “enterprise” drones.

The key issue is that DJI decided this without as much as a hint that they planned to make an enterprise version. They priced this such that it appeared to be a prosumer version which many interpreted as targeted at those who needed aftermarket software built on the SDK.

Last edited:
I've no doubt the Mavic 3 consumer drones are easily capable of running waypoints the same as the Mavic 2 series and also that DJI could offer an SDK for the Mavic 3 consumer drones instead DJI have made the business decision to separate the consumer and enterprise drones. It's similar to Microsoft not offering business features in their Home edition of the Windows operating system, the hardware can easily run these features but Microsoft want their business customers to pay more for the Pro or better version of Windows.

Maybe some employee should steal the SDK, and release it to the public.

First, I would like to say how pleased I am to see waypoints for the Mavic 3 series. I used it yesterday and I really like the interface that DJI has created. Overall, I feel its intuitive and offers a great deal of advanced features. With that said I experienced some bugs, some even caused the app to crash. I have the Mavic 3 Cine with the RS Pro controller.

Bugs that occurred:

- App crashes whenever I tried to move a waypoint to a new location.
- Sometimes waypoints appear without the green line connection between them.
- Sometimes when entering a POI the icon did not appear on the map.
- Sometimes a waypoint would disappear while creating a new one.

I understand this is the first release and I'm hoping with future updates these issues will be corrected. Amazing step forward for the Mavic 3 line.

First, I would like to say how pleased I am to see waypoints for the Mavic 3 series. I used it yesterday and I really like the interface that DJI has created. Overall, I feel its intuitive and offers a great deal of advanced features. With that said I experienced some bugs, some even caused the app to crash. I have the Mavic 3 Cine with the RS Pro controller.

Bugs that occurred:

- App crashes whenever I tried to move a waypoint to a new location.
- Sometimes waypoints appear without the green line connection between them.
- Sometimes when entering a POI the icon did not appear on the map.
- Sometimes a waypoint would disappear while creating a new one.

I understand this is the first release and I'm hoping with future updates these issues will be corrected. Amazing step forward for the Mavic 3 line.
So there are firmware and fly updates that added waypoints? That's big news. Have to check it out when my mavic 3 gets back from China this week. I had a bad crash, $700 repair bill. Oh well. Sorry to hear about the bugs. Hopefully will get fixed soon.

Last edited:
So there are firmware and fly updates that added waypoints? That's big news. Have to check it out when my mavic 3 gets back from China this week. I had a bad crash, $700 repair bill. Oh well. Sorry to hear about the bugs. Hopefully will get fixed soon.
It's actually quite amazing! Mavic 3 waypoints have one featured that I have never seen before and that is now you can set a zoom level at a waypoint. This makes it a cinch to create dolly zoom effects.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
It's actually quite amazing! Mavic 3 waypoints have one featured that I have never seen before and that is now you can set a zoom level at a waypoint. This makes it a cinch to create dolly zoom effects.
It's the only mavic with much of a zoom. I like the new max altitude of 1,000 meters and the map download feature too.

The zoom "Auto" function (not 1x-3x)function states: " Auto calculated based on previous and next waypoints"

Without testing, I'm thinking this will slowly roll the zoom in or out up to the waypoint/POI you set it for... Now my question:

AUTO what? You get no slider for zoom amount.

I'll be happy when they drop the updated Mavic 3 User Manual. Probably will be v2.0 since the last released manual update was on 11/2 when we got Cruise Contol and Night Mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000