DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mavic 3 pro crash

You negligently flew into a wire. You do expect wires in urban areas. It makes no difference how far away you are from them.
Guess I'm the first person ever to crash his drone. I'm sure you never have.

Might want to dial that back a bit. One can only speculate what they're saying about the fellow who programmed his drone to fly into a wire rather than over it.
Agreed.

Mutual respect always applies to everyone, all the time. It's a lesson worth continually reminding everyone about, respectfully, and always.

<soapbox mode, BNBR being nice, being respectful>

“How I remind others” not only effects how readily the reminder gets heard, but (and we don't talk about it, but it's true that) it also determines how the same reminder comes back to myself when my time comes (which it will…) in the future. If I say “They're stupid…” the message I'm likely to receive when it comes back to me is, “You're stupid,” which I'm not, but I needed to have thought about it long ago.

It's an inside job.

<soapbox mode off>

Regards.

Reactions: MS Coast
It's not about the crash but about accepting fault and liability. I also crashed my Mavic 3 due to a bird attack, I used care refresh to claim so many have had crashes before and will in the future but it is how we go about after that is what matters. If in your heart you know the crash was not your fault and a drone fault or sensor fault then its a different story but as others have mentioned, doing waypoints BVLOS and not properly scouting the route to ensure no obstacles are in the RTH path was on you, the drone operator. Personally, I have my RTH set to a much higher limit than the largest object in the vicinity which is around 70 meters which gives me the confidence that I will not encounter any issues on failsafe RTH.

There's seems to be no limit on how dumb DJI service people are. I just got this email from them:

"Dear Customer,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Since the aircraft was sold in Thailand, please contact the local repair center in Thailand and let them know about the analysis result for further assistance. Here below please find their contact information."

I took the drone into DJI Bangkok while I was still in Thailand, and they told me NOT to have it repaired in Thailand, because the shipping to the Philippines would be so expensive. I told DJI this when it happened, but they're so stupid they're still telling me to get it repaired in Thailand. They seem to constantly forget what I've told them in the past. Maybe they should go back and reread all the emails I've sent them on this subject!
Maybe they're using Google translate and your email doesn't make sense to them. Perhaps rewrite it in a different way and see what you get.

As stated I have done it --It was COMPLETELY MY fault. Cost me quite a bit, But I have not hit anything since and every place I fly , I can tell you all about it and I walk around and double check. I don't wanna pay for that bonehead move again ( Bone head is referring to me) So I guess there was a silver lining

Reactions: shb
Having a skydio drone for quite some time know, I fully understand the role small wires and branches play in the drone community. As you know, the drone majority flies by itself (similar to a waypoint mission) and the pilot has to be super aware of the entire environment....for the drone's sake.

Maybe they're using Google translate and your email doesn't make sense to them. Perhaps rewrite it in a different way and see what you get.
I'm fairly sure the DJI service people handling English emails read and write fairly good English. The main problem is they only read my last email without reading all the previous ones and getting proper context for the latest email. Also they keep switching people handling the case rather than have one person handle it from start to finish.

Reactions: RangerEd
It's not about the crash but about accepting fault and liability. I also crashed my Mavic 3 due to a bird attack, I used care refresh to claim so many have had crashes before and will in the future but it is how we go about after that is what matters. If in your heart you know the crash was not your fault and a drone fault or sensor fault then its a different story but as others have mentioned, doing waypoints BVLOS and not properly scouting the route to ensure no obstacles are in the RTH path was on you, the drone operator. Personally, I have my RTH set to a much higher limit than the largest object in the vicinity which is around 70 meters which gives me the confidence that I will not encounter any issues on failsafe RTH.
Obviously looking at my reconnaissance flight this crash was preventable. When I go over something, I have difficulty calculating how much lower I can go without hitting it. Many times I make minor adjustments and it takes forever to get the right altitude. If you notice this video, it took me about 50 iterations to get it the way I wanted.

As low as possible, without hitting anything. Notice how low I go over some foliage and buildings. But that was made at my home, so I could take my time. When I'm on vacation, I don't have the luxury of just making small changes. Also, the weather was very hot, and I was sweating like a pig, so it was very uncomfortable.

I packed up my drone to take it to DHL tomorrow for shipment to China. I did a thorough examination of it, with many pictures and videos. The damage isn't as bad as I thought. The three remaining arms and motors seem to be ok, and the motors are spinning freely.
The gimbal does seem somewhat damaged, but it's hard for me to tell if it's a total loss. The camera is pointing 180% in the opposite direction, toward the drone body, and locked it that position. I wonder if that's something DJI does intentionally, to prevent damage to the camera, when it detects a crash.

When I'm on vacation, I don't have the luxury of just making small changes. Also, the weather was very hot, and I was sweating like a pig, so it was very uncomfortable.

Flying responsibly is not a luxury. It's a necessity if you want to avoid flying into things or people.

Perspiration and discomfort are not excuses or explanations for flying your drone into a wire.

Have you thought about getting a real FPV drone? Looks like that would be more suitable for you for the type of flying you like to do.

As stated I have done it --It was COMPLETELY MY fault. Cost me quite a bit, But I have not hit anything since and every place I fly , I can tell you all about it and I walk around and double check. I don't wanna pay for that bonehead move again ( Bone head is referring to me) So I guess there was a silver lining
Do you have a thread about your crash so other people can learn from it?

This cracks me up about DJI. The same thing happened when I sent my mavic 3 in for repair a year or so ago.

I the mavic 3 pro to them and it was delivered on

TuesdayAugust, 08 202312:21 Local time

Delivered
Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
1 Piece ID: JD014600011115324235

As you can see it was delivered on August 8th. But now when I check for the repair status, they say they received it on August 14th.

Received
Aug/14/2023 09:47:30

Conducting Damage Assessment
It will take 1-2 working days to conduct damage assessment.

So what happened to the 6 days between August 8th and August 14th?

This cracks me up about DJI. The same thing happened when I sent my mavic 3 in for repair a year or so ago.

I the mavic 3 pro to them and it was delivered on

TuesdayAugust, 08 202312:21 Local time

Delivered
Service Area: HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
1 Piece ID: JD014600011115324235

As you can see it was delivered on August 8th. But now when I check for the repair status, they say they received it on August 14th.

Received
Aug/14/2023 09:47:30

Conducting Damage Assessment
It will take 1-2 working days to conduct damage assessment.

So what happened to the 6 days between August 8th and August 14th?
as it shows received is a good sign. Dji usually turns around repair times quite quickly. When mine crashed, I had my replacement shipped out in under a week of them getting my drone.

I almost had a heart attack! To fix my mavic 3 when it crashed it was $700. So I figured my mavic 3 pro would be as much or more. Turns out it's only $164 after crashing from 240 feet. Lucky it landed on that tree and not on pavement or a person. Of course I had to pay $80 shipping and some duties too. Got off cheap this time. Shows how good the build quality of DJI drones is. A Hubsan would of been demolished!

Screenshot_20230817-124605.jpg

I almost had a heart attack! To fix my mavic 3 when it crashed it was $700. So I figured my mavic 3 pro would be as much or more. Turns out it's only $164 after crashing from 240 feet. Lucky it landed on that tree and not on pavement or a person. Of course I had to pay $80 shipping and some duties too. Got off cheap this time. Shows how good the build quality of DJI drones is. A Hubsan would of been demolished!

View attachment 167143
Wow, that's a good result, I am sure you must be over joyed with the result.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne