DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 Range Issues

Yes, anyone who can find a location with clear line of sight (and thus no signal interference) for 10km+

I've reached 9km+ on my Air 2. I could have pushed it further, but the limiting factor is battery, not signal strength.
Air 2 SC or not same thing [do I have a bad bird]?
flying out over the ocean clear sky I get just over 1 mile :rolleyes:

Air 2 SC or not same thing [do I have a bad bird]?
flying out over the ocean clear sky I get just over 1 mile :rolleyes:
I don't have a SC, I just use the stock controller without any mods.

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, the key is taking off from a high location, ensuring there are no obstructions between the controller and the drone, and aligning the controller correctly.

It makes a *huge* difference whether the flat side of the antennae is facing the drone and whether there is anything between it and the drone.

None of that is an issue either that you mention. What DJI or any other drone company says is a moot point. It's a selling tool - and what company does not stretch the truth when advertising their product(s)?

Almost every car I buy in the USA has a 120mph speedometer. Does that allow me or you to drive at 120 mph simply because the vehicle has a speedometer that reads that? No, as the rules in the USA and many other countries have restrictions on such things - which also includes how far a person can "legally" fly a drone.

Flying in flat Florida, Arizona, Nevada, or other states that have flat spaces miles and miles in all directions can allow me or you to fly farther and keep a signal (and VLOS) with the drone than in a state that has mountains, tons of trees, or even skyscrapers that create signal loss / drone disconnect and a very short VLOS.

As it is, you can fly as far as and as high as your drone will go - but be ready to accept the consequences of those actions when something happens or caught.
Nevada, where I live, has more mountain ranges than any other state, and I live in one! More precisely, I live in a canyon.

I can see signal loss as an issue if you're flying through trees, under a canopy. But I usually just fly over them. I only had one experience with possible signal loss, when I went down near the bottom of the canyon, and I think I lost some GPS satellites. A mistake I won't make again!

So far, my range has been limited by the VLOS requirement, and never the signal.

TCS

I don't have a SC, I just use the stock controller without any mods.

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, the key is taking off from a high location, ensuring there are no obstructions between the controller and the drone, and aligning the controller correctly.

It makes a *huge* difference whether the flat side of the antennae is facing the drone and whether there is anything between it and the drone.
I will try again at another location
I have taken off from a cliff high above the ocean
Very clear not one boat in vision just over 1 mile and that is all she will do.
Stock controller and SC same.
🤔

There are a number of factors to get distance, I added a Yagi–Uda antenna which boosted the signal also which frequency are you using 2.4 or 5.8 GHz? I found 5.8GHz works best in my areas, I was able to get out 2.37 miles using a spotter and a Firehouse strobe light on my drone. I returned to home not because of signal loss, but we had a hard time seeing a pin head in the sky.

For me it’s the direction I fly. If I fly west from my place I can get almost 1/2 mile if I fly north I can get a little over 1.25 miles if I fly east I get about .5 mile if I fly south I have gotten over 2 miles.

What would scare me about BVLOS would be a collision with a small plane or chopper, both of which I have seen under 400’ agl. Yes, the chances are extremely slim but look how many have won the lottery with extremely slim chances.
Well in my case I was just above the water and COULD see ANY other plane chopper or boat. Clear sky no one around.
HTH :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman