DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air 2's near death (drowning) experience: the video

Paulark

Reactions
This is literally the closest you can possibly get to having your aircraft swim with da fishes without actually doing it. The ol' ticker definitely skipped a beat on this one...even though I have it fully insured.

That cold beer I cracked immediately after this was probably the coldest, tastiest beer I have ever drank.

Warning: It's pretty scary, but no drones were harmed during the making of this film. My shorts.....well, that's a different story. Enjoy!

Edit: Mods please move to the appropriate forum if necessary. I wasn't sure where it should go.

Last edited:
You have the bottom sensors turned off ? I don't have the MA2 but for Mini and M2P, the drone will stop descending when it is 1 meter above the water surface and wait for your confirmation ( full throttle down for > 1 sec ) before descending further.

Last edited:
I was wondering why it didn't slow sooner. The only thing I can come up with is that I was still running in sport mode and they were not active. Stupid mistake that almost cost me dearly.

Another possibility is that the water was so calm, it was a mirror-like effect and it didn't realize it was that close? Not sure on that one.

Another possibility is that the water was so calm, it was a mirror-like effect and it didn't realize it was that close?

I have tested my M2P over very calm as well as slightly choppy water surfaces. The IR sensor was able to detect the height in all cases. This is my M2P flying over calm water. I have repetitively applied full down throttle ( last less than one second each time ) when the craft was 1 meter about the water surface but the craft just held the height ( indicated by VPS at the bottom of the screen )

Reactions: Juggler
That makes sense because I fly over water a lot and that's never happened. It must have been my oversight leaving it in sport mode. I'll pull up the flight record.

I have tested my M2P over very calm as well as slightly choppy water surfaces. The IR sensor was able to detect the height in all cases. This is my M2P flying over calm water. I have repetitively applied full down throttle ( last less than one second each time ) when the craft was 1 meter about the water surface but the craft just held the height ( indicated by VPS at the bottom of the screen )

So I was running in P-mode. But something really strange happens. I'm descending at a fairly constant rate at around -4.5 mph...until I get close...about 50 feet above the water...then all of a sudden it jumps to -6.7, -6.9 mph...and that's what causes it to come in too hot.

What is interesting is .... how much stuff can someone bring onto a Jon Boat, without counting the dog???

• Haha
Reactions: DanaMc
If you want to try swimming a drone, I saw an ad last night for a waterproof drone and camera that was around $100 with a 4K camera. The video started out with the drone submerged upside down and then it flipped itself upright and took off. Interesting video but I know nothing about this specific drone (although I did consider an immediate purchase then just to see if it really worked).

Nelson

What is interesting is .... how much stuff can someone bring onto a Jon Boat, without counting the dog???
Shooooot.... that's nothing. You should see it when I pack it for a couple weeks in the woods. It's my happy place. Plus I just found an amazing spot to look for American Indian artifacts so I'll be livin out of it until I get tired of hunting.

The dog's name is Carter. Full blood 2.5 year old lab... who's a nihilist. Unless you say the word "frisbee". And then get ready to be busy for the next 12 hours.

Reactions: dawgpilot
This is literally the closest you can possibly get to having your aircraft swim with da fishes without actually doing it. The ol' ticker definitely skipped a beat on this one...even though I have it fully insured.

That cold beer I cracked immediately after this was probably the coldest, tastiest beer I have ever drank.

Warning: It's pretty scary, but no drones were harmed during the making of this film. My shorts.....well, that's a different story. Enjoy!

Edit: Mods please move to the appropriate forum if necessary. I wasn't sure where it should go.
Glad your ticker is insured :)

Cant upload MP4 video ?
? Not sure what you are talking about, the youtube video is linked in the first post.
Ken no Barbie said:
Glad your ticker is insured :)
Wait, that didn't come out right. I've got a state farm policy and care refresh on the drone. As much as I like to party, nobody in their right mind would insure my ticker... :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom