DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic scared me after landing .

rydfree

Reactions
I've been flying my Mavic since early January with absolutely no issues but I did have a scare yesterday . After doing the update to .800 I flew one battery with DjiGo4 then landed , switched out the battery and flew a waypoint mission via Litchi . All went well but the scare came when I pressed the button on the battery to shut it down after the last flight . I heard and felt the battery click into position ! Dji really should put a shorter pin in the battery connection that tells it is fully seated before it will fly . I think this is the cause of the seemingly power failure issues as surely after doing a firmware update and had this fallen out of the sky I would have been questioning the update or Litchi as the cause . I have always made sure I pressed firmly on the battery when installing it but from now on a good wiggle of the battery will be added to the pre-flight routine as well .

Just a heads up and something to think about ...

good story mate, my number one fear is to have the battery not fully seated!
i need the audible "click" confirmation before i take off

Reactions: rydfree
This causes me nightmares too. I've played around with my Mavic battery at home, and it is possible for it to look like it's in position but not clicked in place. The good thing is, I'm not sure the battery will pop up even if it's not clicked I place. It'd take an unusual G-force to make it come out. But as others have said, make sure you feel it click. Even if you have to take it out and put it back in again.

After I read the OP, I asked myself "how could the Mavic be "powered on" and not have the battery clicked in all the way?

The Mavic can indeed be fully powered up and ready to fly without the battery being fully clicked in. It's an accident waiting to happen.

see Pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
After I read the OP, I asked myself "how could the Mavic be "powered on" and not have the battery clicked in all the way?

The Mavic can indeed be fully powered up and ready to fly without the battery being fully clicked in. It's an accident waiting to happen.

see Pic below.

Yes the power pins make contact well before it latches in place . Long pins are a good thing , the more surface area for good contact and all but they really should have put one set of short pins that only make contact when the battery is fully seated .

Reactions: Nikon1 and jamesw
When you insert a battery always give it a little upward tug to make sure it is locked, I have always done this as I had the same issue with the P3. DJI should not have to make the pins shorter, more surface contact is better, remember the amount of current the pins have to carry with WOT. This is a non-issue if you insure to install the battery correctly.

Reactions: Domagoj
I've added this to my mental check list! Thanks to everyone.

The alternative is making the tolerances so tight only an exact fit will draw power, which sounds even worse if the drone ever gets a bump while in flight.

see Pic below.
You got to factor in manufacturing tolerances. Can you imagine if it is shorter? The failure rate could possibly be higher.

The two things I always check at least 2-3 times out of pure paranoia before I take off: Battery seated and releases secure, and props.

I actually squeeze the battery clip buttons when attaching to Mavic so the grippy parts don't wear out, thus I don't get to hear the clicks. Then I press the buttons to feel if they are seated, and also check the physical alignment of the battery relative to the Mavic body.

When you insert a battery always give it a little upward tug to make sure it is locked, I have always done this as I had the same issue with the P3. DJI should not have to make the pins shorter, more surface contact is better, remember the amount of current the pins have to carry with WOT. This is a non-issue if you insure to install the battery correctly.
Yes I said more surface area is better for contact . One set of shorter pins that supply the signal that the battery is seated would be a good thing however . All other power pins remain the same length and tolerance . Some simple coding that will not let motors start if those pins are not seated then if they lost contact during flight to give warning , initiate RTH , land etc .

The alternative is making the tolerances so tight only an exact fit will draw power, which sounds even worse if the drone ever gets a bump while in flight.
No there are more alternatives . No one said to make the power pins shorter . Read people ,lol

. The good thing is, I'm not sure the battery will pop up even if it's not clicked I place. It'd take an unusual G-force to make it come out. But as others have said, make sure you feel it click. Even if you have to take it out and put it back in again.[/QUOTE]]

Not true it seems as there have been a few on here where it seems that the only cause of failure and crash was the battery being ejected after not being seated correctly.

This was i believe, and i could be wrong, connected to a batch that may have had faulty clips or could have been pilot not realizing the audible click does not mean it is actually seated properly.

So do not rely on the audible click.

Give the battery a wiggle and a tug (pun intended).

It has happened and it can happen.

Reactions: Huddy
I actually squeeze the battery clip buttons when attaching to Mavic so the grippy parts don't wear out, thus I don't get to hear the clicks. Then I press the buttons to feel if they are seated, and also check the physical alignment of the battery relative to the Mavic body.
I do it the same way but then i push batrery upward to check it us really locked in place...

Reactions: Pathogen
I bought a pair of Velcro strips for a hand held bracket for walking / filming. I have now used one of them to wrap around the Mavic body and battery to ensure it cannot come out !!!
Haven' tried flying with it yet.
Can anyone see any problems with it?

Attachments

• DSC03923.JPG
    DSC03923.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC03924.JPG
    DSC03924.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 11

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics