DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic's first confirmed kill

Nightowl702

Reactions
I was out his morning flying around the hood taking in the morning sunrise and the view of the city waking up and I brought it back down to make some camera adjustments as it was getting brighter out. I had the Mavic hovering in front of me at around 8 feet when suddenly a large flying bug swooped in and past it. it turned and made another run directly at it when it suddenly went tumbling to the ground (The bug, not the drone). I looked down and realized it was a large bumblebee. It was missing one of its wings and its abdomen was nearly cut through.unable to fly anymore it slowly limped itself away. I have seen many posts about the drone being attacked by bees and I have seen on a couple of occasions after reviewing video I've had bugs around it but I haven't actually seen one get taken out till now. I really wonder what it is that attracts these bugs to it and their ultimate demise. I landed and inspected the props and saw nothing so I continued a rather uneventful rest of the flight with my now official killer!!

Reactions: Former Member
That would be an unconfirmed kill at best, though. Confirmed kill would have been watching it crash to the ground.

That would be an unconfirmed kill at best

Deep abdominal wounds are usually fatal to the recipient. I would give him credit for the bee kill. With a sheared off wing, I dont think the bee would be able to make it to the nearest bee M*A*B*H. (Mobile Army Bee Hospital). You could always follow the drag marks and blood trail.

@Nightowl702 Drones sound like insects when they fly. That might be a reason why birds flock towards us. Maybe the bee was looking to be friends with your Mavic. Last mistake he will ever make. Here's my analysis:

Tello - Swarm of gnats
Spark - Swarm of mosquitoes
Mavic Air = Swarm of big mosquitoes
MPP - Swarm of flies
Mavic Pro - Swarm of bees
Phantom - Swarm of hornets
Inspire - UH1B (ok its not a bug)

Last edited:
Deep abdominal wounds are usually fatal to the recipient. I would give him credit for the bee kill. With a sheared off wing, I dont think the bee would be able to make it to the nearest bee M*A*B*H. (Mobile Army Bee Hospital). You could always follow the drag marks and blood trail.

@Nightowl702 Drones sound like insects when they fly. That might be a reason why birds flock towards us. Maybe the bee was looking to be friends with your Mavic. Last mistake he will ever make. Here's my analysis:

Tello - Swarm of gnats
Spark - Swarm of mosquitoes
Mavic Air = Swarm of big mosquitoes
MPP - Swarm of flies
Mavic Pro - Swarm of bees
Phantom - Swarm of hornets
Inspire - UH1B (ok its not a bug)
I have over the last year or so have had my phantoms attacked by a swarm of bees on several occasions. They in fact have ruined some of my videos. Although it was entertaining to see the carnage of my bird being a blender, The clean up was the worst part.:eek: Disgusting!

I have over the last year or so have had my phantoms attacked by a swarm of bees on several occasions. They in fact have ruined some of my videos. Although it was entertaining to see the carnage of my bird being a blender, The clean up was the worst part.:eek: Disgusting!

I use Simple Green. Works well but smells strong.

Reactions: daasmangi
This is what it is like to fly in a swarm!

Last edited:
Yes, bees, bugs and even Hummingbirds seem to be attracted to the frequency put out by the Mavic (and other multirotors)

I’ve had multiple carpenter bees come out of nowhere to investigate and attack many of my drones.

I have several hummingbirds on film, luckily for them, they never get closer than a few feet.

Interesting phenomenon.

Had my first near miss yesterday, flew the bird straight up to altitude looking for wildfire smoke. Panned around, seeing nothing; then started bringing it down without paying much attention to the screen. Casually glanced upwards at around 100 feet when it could be clearly heard... just in time to see a (red shouldered) hawk make a pass at it. I jinked, climbed and dropped in random moves as it made a couple more passes, finally turned the video on and managed to catch it on film as it made one last pass before it swung away over the trees behind the house.

That's also a good move for avoiding ack ack. :)
There's an emplacement just above me on the mountain, a well known about town 'prepper' with more conspiracy theories than late night on the internet...
He's also well armed, to the point of being scarily armed. The day he caught on I was flying a drone above the place was occasion to fire off a clip.
These days I fly up the canyon a hundred yards or so before gaining any altitude if I know he's around. I doubt he's foolish enough to actually shoot up into the air, but the staccato tone of his shooting was a clear enough message.

I'm his first line of defense, they'll have to swarm past me up the ravine to get to his place.
Of greater concern are the stump jumpers.

Never had bees or bugs attack, but I quite often have birds dive bomb the drone. Never hit it, though!

Any small birds?

I know large birds attack drones. Small birds seem to like to fly near my drone, but not to attack it. I keep waiting for the day when one accidentally hits me.

I use Simple Green. Works well but smells strong.

You can use moth balls. The smell will keep them away. But I can never get their legs open.
And I seen those trucks with balls hanging off the back I dont know just how the mav will look swaying them puppies around .

I've never seen it happen with my own eyes like that, but I do sometimes see bug juice on my drones.

Any small birds?

I know large birds attack drones. Small birds seem to like to fly near my drone, but not to attack it. I keep waiting for the day when one accidentally hits me.

Robins and sparrows always seem to go after mine. I have had plenty of birds make runs at my drone, but none have ever made contact.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird