DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mini 2 has Sharper images than my MA2

It depends on what mode you're shooting in and the settings. RAW images are unsharpened by design as they are unprocessed data and require adjustments in sharpness, contrast, color. JPG's, having ben pre-processed in the camera after capture have certain degrees of sharpening and contrast. And contrast is often perceived as sharpness. Some folks think that DJI images have a propensity to be too sharp and contrasty.

So, what formats are you shooting with each drone? What program do you use for editing and corrections?

The mini 2 is just default 4k30 for for video and 12mp jpg shot. I've also tried most of the shots on ma2, using jpg, and jpg-raw in normal color and HDR and the 48mp shot, and smart.

I'll grab a pic of both and post them with settings to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Best!

Ma2 is in smart shot jpg. Mini I just hit take a pic in jpg.

Attachments

• 20210405_222825.jpg
    20210405_222825.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210405_222906.jpg
    20210405_222906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I also noticed some disparity between pics from my original mini vs. the MA2. What I realised (and I am not a photographer by any means) is that:
1. The Mini was set to 2230 x 4000 pixels (16:9) and the contrast is much higher in the Jpegs from the mini
2. Looking at images shot at nadir (-90 degrees gimbal pitch), for mapping, although there is less contrast in the MA2 there was more detail in grass for instance.

I can see that your Mini2 pic is in 16:9 whereas your MA2 pic is 4:3. Perhaps set both to the same size and share some more. Will share some of my pics here as well.

Here are 2 pics from the original Mini and the MA2 shot using Dronelink while mapping. The Mini for some reason was set to 16:9 and the Air 2 at 4:3. Both Drones were at 40m ATL and images were taken minutes apart.

Attachments

• Air 2.JPG
    Air 2.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Mini.JPG
    Mini.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
On both sets of photos from JSR and ALB the major difference I see is in saturation, not in sharpness. The colors of the Air 2 are flatter and probably more true however a little tweak in post should make the images closer in appearance.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
On both sets of photos from JSR and ALB the major difference I see is in saturation, not in sharpness. The colors of the Air 2 are flatter and probably more true however a little tweak in post should make the images closer in appearance.
I agree.
One caveat though, I use the drones for mapping and the accuracy of the maps is determined by the number of features that the software can recognize between overlapping photographs.
I have run identical mapping missions with both drones and the outputs (photos) from the Mini yield more key scene feature recognition's (more identical pixels identified between photos) than the outputs from the MA2. I assume this is due to some onboard processing in the MA2 and that the Mini does less alteration to produce the Jpegs. Probably a topic for another thread though.

48mp was too Big but didnt look much different, I'll resize it later.
Some ma2 shots today, 16.9 Normal and a 48mp one. All unedited.

I still think the mini 2 is more detailed even if edited to add saturation.

Is this on par with what a ma2 is suppose to look like.

Attachments

• 20210406_185936.jpg
    20210406_185936.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 12
I did some screen caputures from your earlier Mini 2 photo and the later MA2 photo because they are from more like distances. The differences are quite drastic if you open the images. the first photo in each group is the Mini 2, followed by the MA2. All of your pics are good and are just limited by camera, distance, and lighting.

I own both the Mini 2 and the MA2, they are both quite capable of sharp and detailed images with an edge to the MA2 in low light.

Attachments

• MINI2 - A.png
    MINI2 - A.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • MA2 - A.png
    MA2 - A.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • MINI2 - B.png
    MINI2 - B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • MA2 - B.png
    MA2 - B.png