DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My neighbor keeps calling the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
I more agree with dronerdave above. Lack of recreational rules, I mean real enforceable rules with teeth, is going to get someone in trouble. I get the ama thing and all and how the city can be looking towards them as approved rules. But only the faa can say what is right by issuing a full set of rules.

so is there a set back distance that should be followed for flying near a highway like the 134, 5,10, 99, 15,210,40, you get it. I see any Sade distance to fly from those highways. Right? Did I miss it? And they are worried about keeping 60 feet away from the wires.

what about if I had a micro drone with a camera that is below the faa weight limit for registration? That’s a toy right? I can do whatever with a toy? I mean fly in my backyard. No mischief intended.
how does that all work?

I more agree with dronerdave above. Lack of recreational rules, I mean real enforceable rules with teeth, is going to get someone in trouble. I get the ama thing and all and how the city can be looking towards them as approved rules. But only the faa can say what is right by issuing a full set of rules.

so is there a set back distance that should be followed for flying near a highway like the 134, 5,10, 99, 15,210,40, you get it. I see any Sade distance to fly from those highways. Right? Did I miss it? And they are worried about keeping 60 feet away from the wires.

what about if I had a micro drone with a camera that is below the faa weight limit for registration? That’s a toy right? I can do whatever with a toy? I mean fly in my backyard. No mischief intended.
how does that all work?

In theory it should work, but there is... you know, reality like that neighbor and city of yours.

how does that all work?

From what I have read the only "benefit" of owning a sub 250 gram drone is that you don't have to register it. Apart from that all of the other rules still apply. If your house is situated within a NFZ then you can't legally even fly a "toy" drone in your backyard.

Am I right? Please correct me if not.

From what I have read the only "benefit" of owning a sub 250 gram drone is that you don't have to register it. Apart from that all of the other rules still apply. If your house is situated within a NFZ then you can't legally even fly a "toy" drone in your backyard.

Am I right? Please correct me if not.
Correct, but it also exempts you from the FAA legal requirement of LEO demand to see your pilot registration, and examination of the aircraft to verify your ID is prominently displayed on your aircraft. No ID is required to fly a sub 250g drone. It's not a panacea, but it does give you a level of anonymity that many unregistered 250+ gram done pilots have demonstrated they prefer, by not registering at all. The low weight also significantly lowers the risk, to where it is considered de minimus by the FAA, despite all the rules that still apply to it.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Sounds like more of a Darker shade of the grey area I’m already in.

Reactions: Rubicon
Simple, Go fly somewhere else. You are beating your head against a wall.

Don’t give up your right to fly from your own property. You’re being bullied, do not give in...not one inch. When you’re not in the wrong, and you give in, this sets a precedent for both you and your neighbor. No one likes to have this, but it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli and strdr
All these people are going to lose their tiny minds when Amazon starts delivering stuff by drone every hour of the day. Can't happen fast enough.

Reactions: Drgnfli
The real issue is that police departments are starting to see the value of sUAVs in their day to day activity. They'll get to do whatever they want, but civilian use be regulated out of existence.

The real issue is that police departments are starting to see the value of sUAVs in their day to day activity. They'll get to do whatever they want, but civilian use be regulated out of existence.
Your so way off with that is the real issue here.
Guys if this continues to just keep going in circles
I’m going to have the probable cause that I mentioned earlier
to just close this.
Since the OP’s last post I have had to delete 1 OT post
and if this just continues to go in circles I am going to close it.
Just keep in mind when posting your not repeating already
posted suggestions.
Thanks.

As disrupters (technology terms), we are engaged in a practice (hobby) that most people are unaware or afraid because it is new technology with new implications to them. It is natural for people of lesser knowledge to be cautious and a pain in the rear; hence the cliche.

Stay ahead of them, be understanding, and sacrifice some for their sanity or insanity. Enjoy your bleeding edge hobby and for the time being, stay passive when it comes to the public, but be proactive when it comes to setting up new regulations. Our power is our knowledge of the industry; lobby and speak up where it counts, including education and dispelling ignorance in a compassionate way when possible.

You could always call the police and report that you’re pretty sure you saw a pot grow in his back yard and that’s why he keeps calling about the drone. Let the po-po go visit HIM. LOL. Yeah, I know. You can’t do that. But it’s a fun thought.

I feel for you, but your neighbor nor you own the airspace above you, not yet anyway. The FAA does. Just follow the FAA rules/regulations/policies for recreational UAV’s and follow them to the letter. Record all of your flights and keep your DJI flight logs. Follow the laws and your neighbor nor the police have a case. If he or the police take you to court or if the police fine you, take it to court yourself and represent yourself with all the lawful documentation and videos you have. Invite the Burbank news stations and news papers to cover your story. It’s time to educate the public about drones and FAA rules in the news. Be professional and intellectual. (Or just move to New Hampshire where we have plenty of beautiful sky’s to fly... ) Good Luck! ???

If you do go to the media, make sure they aren't biased against you. It isn't uncommon for media to appear sympathetic to one's cause, but after some editing, you end up looking like the jerk.

Hey guys,
Got a little problem and it starting to escalate. So I need some advice. What would you do??

ok so I live in a big city, LA, yeah a crap hole. I know. But I’m in Burbank. Much nicer. ?

so I’ve been flying for recreational enjoyment for the last couple of months.

2 months ago, some guy stalked my drone when it landed in my backyard. He came to my front door and confronted me about flying over his house. Whatever, I get it. Some peeps don’t like drones. No problem. He told me thatI flew in his backyard and cut his telephone wire. I told him he was incorrect and if my M2Z has hit his telephone wires it would be laying him his backyard.

Anyway. This clown has called the po po (the police, the man, the fuzz, etc....) on me for the last 5 flights.

anyway, the cops rolled up on me Again yesterday. This time they sent out the watch commander to play tough guy.

I laid into them this time. They roll up and say did you call the police. Their dispatch for it wrong and thought my house had called them. Well I don’t need the police. I have my own protection and can take card of any situation. Back on point, I showed them the Kittyhawk app, my approval to fly as a recreational pilot, the DJI go app and the flight telemetry, and my iPhone screen recording (I prefer to screen record my flight just in case anything happens and I don’t have any
Live video).

they agreed that I followed all the correct procedures and rules

what I have a problem about is at the very end of my conversation with the 3 police officers.
This guy had the ( Mod Removed) to tell me that this incident could be related to a nuisance incident because they have to keep coming out to my location. they tried to relate it to a house burglar alarm that goes off on nuisance calls. They told me they were going to charge me if they had to come out to my house again. I told them flat out that was a bunch of crap since I wasn’t the one that was reporting the drone flying over the house. I told them they need to go speak with the guy that called in the complaint. So they could educate him about the laws and that if he called in again he was going to be the one to get charged for the nuisance. They didn’t like me taking back. They started to get a little more aggressive. I told them that I was done, this is ba, and get off
My property and I went back in the house. My wife was pissed that I just walked away.

so I came back they gave me some phone number to call for police relations. Left two messages. No reply back. Called the popo again to make sure I had the right guy, yeah I do.

so here it is. Besides not flying intentionally or unintentionally over this neighbors house, what advise can you give me. I’ve already tried to make contact with the popo like I said.
There are no rules saying I can’t fly in my area. I always get LAANCE approval because I am near an airport. I don’t do stupid stuff. But his clown down the street is killing my fun time.

what suggestions do you have for me

Thanks for the help.
Skydog4
Dog out

Here you go

Only 25 bucks a month, sign up tell them to send a certified demand letter return receipt requested IN THEIR LETTERHEAD (Their letterhead In Los Angeles where I live not far from you has the name of over 50 attorneys that work in their law office)...to the offending neighbor, and the police department legal section.

Sit back, watch Netflix and watch it happen...because when anybody receives a CRRR letter fro lawyers they KNOW you're not bluffing anymore...

Done

pablotwa

Reactions: Lbesing
Next time he calls the police you call the police and ask to talk to the on duty Sgt. He will call you back and make sure you are directed to the right person to talk to. They can look at how many times the person has contacted the non emergency number and decide that it is time to mediate the neighbors. They will set up a meeting that you both should attend and hopefully resolve this. Police do not have any jurisdiction on air space. If you fly over the property of another and they ask you to stop you should stop.

Fly clandestinely. When you take off asend vertically to flight altitude and then fly in any direction, If you fly over the ( Mod Removed ) neighbor's house don't fly directly back to your yard but take a different route so he can't see what direction it is landing at.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are free to fly anywhere that is not restricted air space (airports - military installations - large sporting events ).
Using a drone for surveillance is illegal in most states
Other than the restricted area's, air space is"common domain" and there is nothing illegal about flying over (or even hovering over) someones property.
THAT BEING SAID - - California does have their own rules ( imagine that).
Check this link attached - - - It IS against the law but not a crime - - ( you figure that one out )
My suggestion - - Leave California while your property is worth anything at all
The politicians are making it impossible for you folks to live there
So sorry you have to go through this my friend

California has totally changed. Especially on the last 20 years. I think some of the sheepeople may be waking up,finally. You can only be taxed so much.
Believe me, I am waiting for the opportunity to leave. Three more years I can sell my rental home and get the heck out! I’ve got to wait longer to sell my primary home. Capital gains will kill me at my age.

I’m presently flying down the street in dirt lot We will see how long it takes for them to come get me at the new location.
Skydog out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest