DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new Mavic is at the bottom of a lake!

DjI really didn't say anything other than "looks like pilot error" they said they'll start a "fly away claim" unless I can find the drone and send it in. I had done a proper pre-flight inspection before take-off.. the propellers were the original that came with it.. never crashed. It may very well have been a bird strike.
for future flights Definitely wear a gopro camera documenting your pre flight inspection, every company is a cash grabbing business just like car dealerships, I hope you find your drone soon

Last edited:
Reactions: RottenHussey
Got love the morons at DJI tech - everything is pilot error!

Multi-billion dollar company which builds drones for a few dollars and charges 20 times what they are worth - yet assume no responsibility for their errors.
That's not true .. there have been many, many cases documented in this forum where DJI quickly settled warranty cases and replaced drones.
Sometimes even when the data clearly showed genuine user error was the cause of the problem.
The reason they continue to hold a market share of >70% is that their drones are very good.

Reactions: Surge and maelstrom
I've seen a few other posts regarding the same situation... my drone all of a sudden dropped out of the sky and into a lake... I have a care plane with DJI so I'll get another.. I'm hoping maybe the experts here can help me understand what went wrong..
Here's a link to the video... the last 20 seconds are when it went weird

and here's the flight log
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

DJI says it was pilot error

I've seen a few other posts regarding the same situation... my drone all of a sudden dropped out of the sky and into a lake... I have a care plane with DJI so I'll get another.. I'm hoping maybe the experts here can help me understand what went wrong..

Sorry for your loss - hope you get one back soon -- by the way, which Mavic was it ? MA2 / DA2S, M2P, etc.

I’d vote for bird strike (I didn’t see any on the video but who knows?) or detached prop. Could have been a defect you couldn’t see.
error GPS weak but 19-20 sat’s suggests a software or processor fault.
cell deviation jumped to 0.137 at 5m 16.2s, voltage rose from 11.724 up to 11.891 at 5m 17.2s, cell 2 seems to be unstable. I’d ask for an explanation, it could be a battery defect - the gimbal would bounce around if everything stopped then restarted.
these are very shor5 timescales but it doesn’t look like a flyaway, more like faulty hardware causing erroneous data and a restart with the drone at odd angles.

I’d agree the most likely cause was a bird strike. Aquatic birds seem the most likely to be involved in drone strikes (I’m looking at you geese). They are big and heavy birds. Even a seagull has some weight to them and can’t seem to resist having a look at drones.
The point of the video where the incident occurs the gimbal is ponying down so you can’t see anything coming but it looks like it’s hit from the front. That said if you flying VLOS I would expect you would notice a large bird bouncing off your Mavic. The only other thing I have seen dismantle a drone like that was fired from a gun. Sadly that is another occurrence that is happening more and more often, though with the camera still operating (albeit dangling from a broken gimbal) my bet would still be a bird.

Is the mobile device DAT file, FLY050.DAT, available? It should unambiguously show if there was a collision, as suggested by the TXT log.
Without a doubt it was a bird. There’s a brief section and you’ll see a dark flash. I don’t know where you live but possibly a Bald Eagle or Osprey. Just thinking that because they liked to eat fish.

I disagree, it was a catastrophic internal electronic failure

Reactions: Tufargon
The last video from Pilot Institute was talking about DJI's stock going down and what companies they were competing against. If theirs is private and cannot change I don't know know why Greg would say so.

Could also be a prop failure the way it fell. Only takes one. Stats look OK if everything is physically OK. Pilot error... Almost impossible with the specs showing no sudden or unusual movements.

Reactions: RottenHussey
The last video from Pilot Institute was talking about DJI's stock going down and what companies they were competing against. If theirs is private and cannot change I don't know know why Greg would say so.
Probably because he doesn't know, but doesn't let that stop him from making things up.
He's not the greatest at sticking to the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: projectarjun
I’d vote for bird strike (I didn’t see any on the video but who knows?) or detached prop. Could have been a defect you couldn’t see.
error GPS weak but 19-20 sat’s suggests a software or processor fault.
cell deviation jumped to 0.137 at 5m 16.2s, voltage rose from 11.724 up to 11.891 at 5m 17.2s, cell 2 seems to be unstable. I’d ask for an explanation, it could be a battery defect - the gimbal would bounce around if everything stopped then restarted.
these are very shor5 timescales but it doesn’t look like a flyaway, more like faulty hardware causing erroneous data and a restart with the drone at odd angles.
No need to guess, the incident was explained back in post #19

@Phantomrain.org he has his camera pointed downward, the flotation add on is coming in the frame of the shot :(

Had my front left arm come loose, no impacts registered in flight log, until the arm collided with the right arm. Covered free under warranty. Within VLOS, nobody shot it, no boats changed course or cared about the drone. Had been flying for almost an hour at that spot. May get a boat to the coords this summer, only about 8 feet (2.5 meter) of water, in slow ebb and flow area. She might stay close.

• Wow
Reactions: projectarjun
Mine did the same thing. Just went nuts. I had it aboard our cruiser and had the Radar on. I think that's what screwed mine up. Oh well...got a new one and off we go on further adventures.

Got love the morons at DJI tech - everything is pilot error!

Multi-billion dollar company which builds drones for a few dollars and charges 20 times what they are worth - yet assume no responsibility for their errors.
A bird strike (if that’s what it was) is not DJI’s fault.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf