DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new Mavic is at the bottom of a lake!

DjI really didn't say anything other than "looks like pilot error"
DJI aren't always very good at communicating.
But if they are saying it looks like pilot error, but don't explain what looks like pilot error, that's pretty slack.
Especially when the data doesn't show anything that looks like pilot error.
I believe they have made a mistake and a more accurate summary of what's in the data would be: the cause of the incident could not be determined.

Reactions: RottenHussey
But if they are saying it looks like pilot error, but don't explain what looks like pilot error, that's pretty slack.
I believe they have made a mistake and a more accurate summary of what's in the data would be: the cause of the incident could not be determined.
Is it considered Pilot Error if it was a Bird ? I feel like that we are responsible for that.

Is it considered Pilot Error if it was a Bird ? I feel like that we are responsible for that.
No it's not.
A pilot error would require the pilot to make a mistake that causes an incident.
Having a bird hit the drone is just bad luck, there's nothing a flyer can do about it.
Although a bird may have been responsible for the incident, there's no evidence to prove that's what happened.
Without evidence, it's just a guess and there are other possible causes.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Sorry for your loss. I agree it looks like it was hit by a bird

I've seen a few other posts regarding the same situation... my drone all of a sudden dropped out of the sky and into a lake... I have a care plane with DJI so I'll get another.. I'm hoping maybe the experts here can help me understand what went wrong..
Here's a link to the video... the last 20 seconds are when it went weird

and here's the flight log
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

DJI says it was pilot error
Is the mobile device DAT file, FLY050.DAT, available? It should unambiguously show if there was a collision, as suggested by the TXT log.

Sorry about your loss I'm praying you find it so we know what caused the crash . I've had birds close but never attacked the drone

I just to give a huge thank you to everyone for their time and support.. I'll probably still have to pay the flyaway replacement fee to DJI... but at least I have some ammo to argue my case with
Is the mobile device DAT file, FLY050.DAT, available? It should unambiguously show if there was a collision, as suggested by the TXT log.
I don't think so... my MCDatFlightRecord folder is empty

Last edited:
Possible... there were some in the area.. small ones.. I won't fly if I see Hawks or Eagles around. I was watching my screen when it all went wrong so I couldn't tell
I was flying mine the other day and there was loads of swallows and swifts and they move so quickly and impossible to see

**UPDATE** The flight data engineers at DJI have determined that whatever caused my drone to drop into the lake (they didn't give specifics) is a covered by the warranty.
Whoever suggested it was pilot error made a big mistake.
To be able to say it's pilot error, they have to be able to say what you did wrong ... and the data didn't show anything they could point to.

**UPDATE** The flight data engineers at DJI have determined that whatever caused my drone to drop into the lake (they didn't give specifics) is a covered by the warranty. DJI is shipping me a replacement at no cost!!!
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.
That's awesome ?

You would think that with more companies cutting in on their business and their stock falling they would be interested in being a little better.

Got love the morons at DJI tech - everything is pilot error!

Multi-billion dollar company which builds drones for a few dollars and charges 20 times what they are worth - yet assume no responsibility for their errors.

Before any flight check your props, also check to see that the battery is securely in, also make sure there is not a great deal of bird activity especially in bird sanctuaries

You would think that with more companies cutting in on their business and their stock falling they would be interested in being a little better.
But there aren't any companies making a dent in DJI's market share and the company is privately owned so their stock doesn't go up or down.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej