DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My one and only disappointment with the mavic 2

simsurf

Reactions
Been a couple of months since I upgraded and it's performed flawlessly. Everything they've done feels like an upgrade...

But why for love of God did the go from two USB ports on the charger to one! Previously you could charge your batteries, tablet and remote from one plug. Perfect! Literally perfect.

My only other slight gripe if the the new usb c connection to the drone. I wish they just done the same with the remote, instead of giving us a little dinky micro USB extension I'm sure to lose at some critical time.

I just did about 50 hectares of photogrammetry using ground station without a single issue until some hawks got interested and I decided to call it a day.

The only thing comes to mind is that the charger was really meant for the bundle of drone+remote. Anything additional like a tablet phone or DJI goggle you just charge it elsewhere, all of those devices come with their own chargers.
I have a charging hub with 4 USB ports, I use a magnetic USB cable so one cable can connect to any device be it an apple lighting, android mini USB or USB C on the device, or 3 magnetic cables can connect to any 3 devices. Currently have (semi-permanent) magnetic stubs on the DJI remote, tablet, my phone, and the DJI goggles. Never really need to swap or need to plug cables in anymore.

The only thing comes to mind is that the charger was really meant for the bundle of drone+remote. Anything additional like a tablet phone or DJI goggle you just charge it elsewhere, all of those devices come with their own chargers.
I have a charging hub with 4 USB ports, I use a magnetic USB cable so one cable can connect to any device be it an apple lighting, android mini USB or USB C on the device, or 3 magnetic cables can connect to any 3 devices. Currently have (semi-permanent) magnetic stubs on the DJI remote, tablet, my phone, and the DJI goggles. Never really need to swap or need to plug cables in anymore.

View attachment 67775
I would beg to differ since the mavic 1 had two ports and they removed one for the mavic 2. Personally magnetic charging tips don't sound particularly safe or reliable, but I'm happy to be wrong. Each device I own has a dedicated high quality charging cable.

I find that I would never use the charger that came with the Mavic 2 unless I needed an emergency charge (ie on a big job that required more than 3 batteries) or was left in a position that my normal charging station wasn't available (ie I ended up staying overnight on a job site unexpectedly). So I use THIS beast for all of my heavy hitting charging applications and it has worked FLAWLESSLY. And for like the cost of 7 starbucks coffees you have a long term unlimited charging solution.....check this out!!

Mavic 2 charging station.jpg

View attachment 67775
How bout some info on the mag cable

Guys.. the mavic 2 charger has one USB port, and a built in micro usb cable for charging the remote. So really they enhanced the charger because now you will never leave home without the micro usb cable.

right on!
totally forgot about it.
I bet a lot of people don't know about this built-in micro USB on the side of the charger. It blends in too well.

I find that I would never use the charger that came with the Mavic 2 unless I needed an emergency charge (ie on a big job that required more than 3 batteries) or was left in a position that my normal charging station wasn't available (ie I ended up staying overnight on a job site unexpectedly). So I use THIS beast for all of my heavy hitting charging applications and it has worked FLAWLESSLY. And for like the cost of 7 starbucks coffees you have a long term unlimited charging solution.....check this out!!

View attachment 67805

I was reading the reviews and it seems this unit runs hot (many measured around 140 deg F) and the reviewer had a hack to fix this... it seems the unit has a vent for the fan, then another vent next to it and then a vent on the other end of the unit...but because there is another vent NEXT to the fan vent there is not enough air flow thru the unit. He placed a sticker over the same-side vent. there is more:

from the review (Amazon.com: Mavic 2 Charger,5 in 1 Rapid Parallel Battery Charger Multi Battery Intelligent Charging Hub for DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom Accessories: Toys & Games ) there are some photos with the review as well

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat Charger, it does run hot, can be improved.
October 14, 2018
Verified Purchase
I am a huge fan of Yx brand chargers, they do the charging job well and faster than the stock charging hubs. That said this particular model runs pretty warm. Being an electronics type I opened the case to inspect the build quality. The product is well made inside but the airflow design is poor. Normally the fan should be "sealed" to one end of the case, with a vent at the other end of the case to force cooling air to flow thru the box to cool it. This unit's fan is stuck with foam tape about 3/8" away from the outside vent, plus it is vented on both ends. This results in almost no flowthru air and case temps around 140degrees according to other users. This is on the hot side.

I peeled the fan loose from the tape, used a Dremmel tool to open the fan vent to match the fan diameter, used a sticker to block the vent to the left of the fan so all air flows thru the charger from the opposite side. Then I re-stuck the fan close against the fan opening. Now air flow well thru the case and mine measures around 100 degrees and declines quickly as the batteries fill up. Not hard work, certainly worth the effort if you have the ability.

Lastly, If you want to be really safe, check the bottom of the PC board and trim off any component leads that look too long, to prevent any errant component leads from touching the case and shorting if it were squeezed or struck while in use.

Again, the product works great but these improvements make it better and safer.

View attachment 67775
Hey....thats a cool charging cable. Where can I get one?

I was reading the reviews and it seems this unit runs hot (many measured around 140 deg F) and the reviewer had a hack to fix this... it seems the unit has a vent for the fan, then another vent next to it and then a vent on the other end of the unit...but because there is another vent NEXT to the fan vent there is not enough air flow thru the unit. He placed a sticker over the same-side vent. there is more:

from the review (Amazon.com: Mavic 2 Charger,5 in 1 Rapid Parallel Battery Charger Multi Battery Intelligent Charging Hub for DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom Accessories: Toys & Games ) there are some photos with the review as well

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat Charger, it does run hot, can be improved.
October 14, 2018
Verified Purchase
I am a huge fan of Yx brand chargers, they do the charging job well and faster than the stock charging hubs. That said this particular model runs pretty warm. Being an electronics type I opened the case to inspect the build quality. The product is well made inside but the airflow design is poor. Normally the fan should be "sealed" to one end of the case, with a vent at the other end of the case to force cooling air to flow thru the box to cool it. This unit's fan is stuck with foam tape about 3/8" away from the outside vent, plus it is vented on both ends. This results in almost no flowthru air and case temps around 140degrees according to other users. This is on the hot side.

I peeled the fan loose from the tape, used a Dremmel tool to open the fan vent to match the fan diameter, used a sticker to block the vent to the left of the fan so all air flows thru the charger from the opposite side. Then I re-stuck the fan close against the fan opening. Now air flow well thru the case and mine measures around 100 degrees and declines quickly as the batteries fill up. Not hard work, certainly worth the effort if you have the ability.

Lastly, If you want to be really safe, check the bottom of the PC board and trim off any component leads that look too long, to prevent any errant component leads from touching the case and shorting if it were squeezed or struck while in use.

Again, the product works great but these improvements make it better and safer.
Having read this and concerned it appears that these temps are achieved after having all ports banging away on recharging....Ill go ahead and test this and see if these temps are realistic or dangerous....more to come.....otherwise Im very happy with this unit!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Shows how many read that little book you get inside the box??

Reactions: SD-Pilot

View attachment 67805
I have this same charger. It's a real joy. It will charge all three batteries at one time and has 2 usb ports. There is an on/off switch too. Great charger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky