DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My SD card is flaking out, what's the good card these days?

kenjancef

Reactions
I've been getting read errors lately with my current SD card, so I think it's time to replace it... I don't trust it. What's the good card these days?

Here is what I'm using now... I'd assume it would still be good, but I haven't had to get a new card in a year or so.

Amazon.com

256GB SD Card.jpg

Rather large card. Any particular reason?

Yea, in case I do a lot of stuff on a shoot. I do rarely fill it, and I format it after every flight or 2, making sure I back up what's on it. And it's cheap... well, when I got it a year ago. I think it was in the low $20's, on sale.

I mean, I would consider Samsung to be good cards. Can't imagine that Sandisk or whatever will be any more reliable. I have a mix of both since I just pick up whichever is having the best sale (I generally stick to Samsung, Sandisk, and Lexar, but that's not a preference grounded in any research on reliability, it's just vibes). I've never really had a card flake out on me, but then again I have A LOT and I rotate through them frequently.

I've been getting read errors lately with my current SD card, so I think it's time to replace it... I don't trust it. What's the good card these days?

Here is what I'm using now... I'd assume it would still be good, but I haven't had to get a new card in a year or so.

Amazon.com

View attachment 170988
Go to the Dji website look up your drone and look up what SD cards are recommended and buy those cards. I’ve been stung several times by putting cards that work recommended and they just don’t work.

For some reason the couple of cards I was using for a few years started giving me error messages recently also...I got the same card as that Samsung...only 128...and that is more than enough capacity...they were on sale at Micro Center for about 9 dollars a few weeks ago...after I download to my computer I just format it while it is still in the drive.

Amazon.com

View attachment 170988

I'm using a dozen of those but in 128GB and they are working out great. They work in my older aircraft as well as the more finicky Mini4Pro.

Did you say "with my current SD card" as in only ONE card? What happens if that ONE card fails on a job? I'm sitting here right now with a "Card Wallet" with (8) cards in it and every Commercial Aircraft has this same setup. Better safe than sorry :)

Make sure you get a fast enough card. Many cards are too slow for reliable reads and writes.

For some reason the couple of cards I was using for a few years started giving me error messages recently also...I got the same card as that Samsung...only 128...and that is more than enough capacity...they were on sale at Micro Center for about 9 dollars a few weeks ago...after I download to my computer I just format it while it is still in the drive.
Yea, I went out to do a quick shoot, 9-10 pics and a few videos. Came in the house to offload. Computer read the card ok, saw the files, Opened up Lightroom to import the pics, and it told me the card was empty... it saw the folders, but no data. I removed the card and re-inserted, got the "There is a problem with this drive..." error. I've been in the computer field long enough to know that when you get that error once, it'll get worse. So I figured I replace the card now.

Can't beat $9. But I would format the card in the drone, it's better that way. I format mine every other flight or so, while I wait for satellite lock. I'm just standing around anyway, so why not?

I'm using a dozen of those but in 128GB and they are working out great. They work in my older aircraft as well as the more finicky Mini4Pro.

Did you say "with my current SD card" as in only ONE card? What happens if that ONE card fails on a job? I'm sitting here right now with a "Card Wallet" with (8) cards in it and every Commercial Aircraft has this same setup. Better safe than sorry :)
I do have more than one. I meant the card that was currently in my drone. I have 3 of the same that I bought at the same time. But I just figured that since it's been over a year since I bought them, maybe there's something better I should get.

Reactions: BigAl07
Check to see if the microSD card holder is the problem. I thought a card was failing and it turned out to be just the holder that had failed.
Great tip, but I tried 3 different SD card sized adapters, and one of the small square-type things with the USB plug on the end (I'm an IT guy and can't think of the name of it... lol...). I ended up doing the repair, and it worked. But once I get that error on ANY drive/card I don't trust it...

Amazon.com

View attachment 170988
There are Memory Cards being sold on the Internet with very little warranty cheaply.
The best is to purchase in a Shop and keep the box as well as the receipt.
Most Manufacturers give a 10-year warranty. Search their website, please.
I like to buy SanDisk and Extreme PRO is my favourite.
SanDisk gives a lifetime warranty.
I only had one SanDisk warranty claim many years ago. The Sales Rep was very kind and with a smile, he put me at ease and took my contact details. And I think it was my fault for removing the USB memory stick from the PC incorrectly or formatting it. A few days later I received a call to come and pick up my new USB memory stick with lots of apologies.
I suggest formatting it always on the device.
About a year ago I experienced problems with my SanDisk Extreme PRO of my Drone in 4K The Video wasn’t smooth, breaking up and the pixels were smudged on the screen.
My first impression was a bad SD Card. I took the card back to the Shop, they inserted the Card on their PC and found, nothing wrong. I decided to take my PC to a Computer Shop together with my SD Card and found that my, Display Card on my PC could not handle 4K files.
I replaced the Display Card and the Monitor to solve the problem.

Amazon.com

View attachment 170988
There are Memory Cards being sold on the Internet with very little warranty cheaply.
The best is to purchase in a Shop and keep the box as well as the receipt.
Most Manufacturers give a 10-year warranty. Search their website, please.
I like to buy SanDisk and Extreme PRO is my favourite.
SanDisk gives a lifetime warranty.
I only had one SanDisk warranty claim many years ago. The Sales Rep was very kind and with a smile, he put me at ease and took my contact details. And I think it was my fault for removing the USB memory stick from the PC incorrectly or formatting it. A few days later I received a call to come and pick up my new USB memory stick with lots of apologies.
I suggest formatting it always on the device.
About a year ago I experienced problems with my SanDisk Extreme PRO of my Drone in 4K The Video wasn’t smooth, breaking up and the pixels were smudged on the screen.
My first impression was a bad SD Card. I took the card back to the Shop, they inserted the Card on their PC and found, nothing wrong. I decided to take my PC to a Computer Shop together with my SD Card and found that my, Display Card on my PC could not handle 4K files.
I replaced the Display Card and the Monitor to solve the problem.
Here’s all u need to know about SD cards. Everything you need to know about SD memory cards

Scandisc, the fastest one as the one Im using warns its a slow speed card but it works, yes good advise form Thailand always format in the quad, salads from Sunny Spain, Ive got an air 2s and used it a lot with litchi and VR with Samsung Oculus goggles now I use the FPV drone with integrated goggles as its more fun to actually fly and has manual mode, learning flips and rolls...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne