DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My turn to lose a mavic pro

jjww

Reactions
Last night I was testing my mavic. During the flight the drone suddenly lost control and disappeared from LOS, although RC is still connected. With no visual I tried to lower the drone in hope that I could hear or see it. At 20% battery it started RTH. In the end it gets closer, but started auto landing somewhere. I was able to hear the sound during the landing, but no visual.

Here is the flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I would assume it landed either on a roof or a tree. I could not spot it yet. Help will be much appreciated.

Reactions: Ryan.
Your flight log shows it landed in this tree:

Location.jpg

Reactions: rfc and Chirp
Thanks @msinger. That's the tree I had been searching, but no spotting yet. The tree has grown so much, so this picture is super helpful. Maybe I need another drone to do a bird's-eye view :p

Last night I was testing my mavic. During the flight the drone suddenly lost control and disappeared from LOS, although RC is still connected. With no visual I tried to lower the drone in hope that I could hear or see it. At 20% battery it started RTH. In the end it gets closer, but started auto landing somewhere. I was able to hear the sound during the landing, but no visual.

I would assume it landed either on a roof or a tree. I could not spot it yet. Help will be much appreciated.

You learned the hard way to set RTH altitude to something higher than the tallest trees in the area you are flying.

Been there done that :)

EDIT: and BTW I went and bought another mavic to find the lost one in the tree canopy. You need a backup anyway, just don't tell the wife.

You learned the hard way to set RTH altitude to something higher than the tallest trees in the area you are flying.
The Mavic was actually high enough in this case. It auto landed in the tree due to a critically low battery.

Reactions: Odom1957
The Mavic was actually high enough in this case. It auto landed in the tree due to a critically low battery.

Do you happen to know why it started drifting away? The log showed yaw error. That's what got me panic in the first place after visual was lost. I was flying a bit high that also made the visual hard.

Do you happen to know why it started drifting away?
Were there any magnetic metal objects near the Mavic between the time it was powered on and when it took off? It looks like you powered it on indoors and then carried it outside.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Were there any magnetic metal objects near the Mavic between the time it was powered on and when it took off? It looks like you powered it on indoors and then carried it outside.

I wonder if he put the MP in the car and drove to the launch site after powering it on in the house.

Does the 41% indicate the battery percentage when powered on? Definitely looks powered on in the house if that's the case.

That's correct. I powered it on and then moved outside. No, I do not own a flying car :D

That's correct. I powered it on and then moved outside.
Next time, carry your Mavic to the takeoff location (while powered off) and make sure there are no magnetic metal objects near the Mavic before powering it on. After powering on your Mavic, look at the map in DJI GO and confirm the following:

1) Verify that your Mavic is pointing in the same direction as the aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO.

2) Verify that the aircraft symbol is not slowly spinning on the map in DJI GO.

Those tips should ensure the Mavic's compass is not being negatively affected by magnetic interference.

Thanks @msinger. That's the tree I had been searching, but no spotting yet. The tree has grown so much, so this picture is super helpful. Maybe I need another drone to do a bird's-eye view :p
Just go ask your neighbor if you can look in his tree, probably some teenagers in the neighborhood would climb the tree for a reward. Looks like a couple houses away.

By the way.. what were you testing?

Just go ask your neighbor if you can look in his tree, probably some teenagers in the neighborhood would climb the tree for a reward. Looks like a couple houses away.

Already talked to my neighbours and searched for a few times. Could not spot it yet.

By the way.. what were you testing?

Last time I brought my drone to a hiking trip but could not fly because my app was off loaded [emoji26]. So I was testing the newly downloaded DJI go and also how to start the aircraft using remote only.

Good news. DJI studied my flight record and deemed this to be a warranty case. They are sending me a free replacement, without even using my care refresh plan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada