DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Naked Mavic 3 mini pro with prop guards

Cine robot

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots

I’m currently working on making mini 3 with prop guards able to be sub 250grams to fly over people. So far I have been able to get approval from the FAA to fly caged fpv. But I would like to remove 82grams from mini 3 to be able to use the 360 cages and be sub 250gr and offer gimbal flights over people. I removed all unnecessary plastic parts and also will install the naked battery permanently. But I could really use the weight from the obstacle sensors to use the full 360 cages. Does anyone know how to hack the firmware so the mini 3 can take off without the vision sensors? Thank you.

Attachments

• 5102432B-6B48-4EA9-BE5E-E12100A08137.jpeg
    5102432B-6B48-4EA9-BE5E-E12100A08137.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • F3F3E9F5-0DE3-4AD6-84C8-4E1271AA112A.jpeg
    F3F3E9F5-0DE3-4AD6-84C8-4E1271AA112A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • A92D6C15-1688-4C8A-B8FB-C9AAF8876187.jpeg
    A92D6C15-1688-4C8A-B8FB-C9AAF8876187.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Reactions: js47
@Cine robot why not get the Mini 3 se ,version without the sensors as your starting point

Reactions: Chrislaf
I guess you've tried simply disconnecting the sensors to see what the drone does? If it is too dark for the sensors then the standard firmware allows flight without OA, however it may be that the firmware still needs to detect the presence of the sensors even if it doesn't use them. I don't think there's been much progress in hacking the firmware in any way so far - it's quite well locked down.

Out of interest, How much weight have you managed to remove, and is the drone noticeably more flimsy with some of the frame removed?

@Cine robot why not get the Mini 3 se ,version without the sensors as your starting point
That’s a great suggestion, however D cinelike color profile is not available in the mini 3 se. Clients benefit from that color profile. I might try that next. However from looking at the specs it seem is the same weight as the pro version.

Reactions: old man mavic
I guess you've tried simply disconnecting the sensors to see what the drone does? If it is too dark for the sensors then the standard firmware allows flight without OA, however it may be that the firmware still needs to detect the presence of the sensors even if it doesn't use them. I don't think there's been much progress in hacking the firmware in any way so far - it's quite well locked down.

Out of interest, How much weight have you managed to remove, and is the drone noticeably more flimsy with some of the frame removed?
I removed the top and bottom sensors but it triggered 5 fail codes saying to contact Dji for missing parts and repairs as a result it doesn’t let the drone take off. After all is done I was only able to remove 30 grams. It flies ok but it’s noticeable more flimsy.

Attachments

• 01159601-7408-4127-BC7E-FA67C2974A57.jpeg
    01159601-7408-4127-BC7E-FA67C2974A57.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 9DF0D8FF-EBB0-41E0-B199-05ED5E65CD42.jpeg
    9DF0D8FF-EBB0-41E0-B199-05ED5E65CD42.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: js47 and scro
I had a suspicion that just unplugging the sensors would cause the firmware to get upset :(

Getting rid of 30g is fairly good going, considering a significant portion of the weight is in the battery, motors and camera.

A couple of years ago I looked at rebuilding a Mavic mini (1) with a lightweight CF frame. I'm sure further weight could be shed from the arms and hinges. I never got past the concept stage though, and ended up selling the mini1 to get a mini3P. If your goal is to get a cage round the props while keeping under 250g then I'm sure a custom frame could be built with that in mind, using CF tube and sheet.

Here's the discussion on the Mini1:

First, I would suggest reading the complete rules for OOP. SInce you are flying commercialy, you should be able to get a waiver for just about any drone with prop covers.

Reactions: Cine robot
First, I would suggest reading the complete rules for OOP. SInce you are flying commercialy, you should be able to get a waiver for just about any drone with prop covers.
Thats a great point. I will look into that and summit an application on FAA drone zone

Hello Friends:

Unfortunately the mavic mini 3 pro naked has come to a halt. After 7 hover test it stopped taking off. It now requires DJI calibration and all kind of codes came up. DJI really made an smart drone. I have tried many things but even the gimbal is not working. It seems that taking parts of the frame introduced micro vibrations that the IMU is not able to handle long term. I’m glad it was never commissioned for flights over people. Thank you for your suggestions about applying for a waiver to fly over people. However, after careful consideration in order to fly the mavic mini 3 pro over people using the 360 props guards It needs to meet the requirements of CAT 2 of the FAA. I will update on the next steps. Thank you for all your help. May the force be with you!

Reactions: js47 and Steve56303
@Cine robot thanks for posting such detailed weight measurements. I’ve been wondering about stripping a Mini 3 down myself.

Not to use prop guards, but rather to use the Plus batteries (~40g heavier than the standard batteries) while still being under 250g.

Reactions: Cine robot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej